Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question for Shapton stone users

My usual sharpening setup is a 4 stone waterstone series. One of the
stones will soon be due for replacement. I really like Shapton
professional series stones.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace the worn stone with the
proper Shapton? I'd rather not buy all four at once, and I'd also
rather not buy another standard waterstone.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:32:53 GMT, B A R R Y wrote:

My usual sharpening setup is a 4 stone waterstone series. One of the
stones will soon be due for replacement. I really like Shapton
professional series stones.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace the worn stone with the
proper Shapton? I'd rather not buy all four at once, and I'd also
rather not buy another standard waterstone.

Thanks!

Certainly can't think of any reason why this would not work. As long as
you get the appropriate grit, you shouldn't have a problem. Would
recommend that with your first Shapton, you also get their flattening
system -- that will set you back approximately the price of another stone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Which four do you have now?

Which would you be adding?

I plan to add a 120 or 220 to my Shaptons:

1000 orange
5000 purple
8000 green

You spend hardly ANY time on that purple, so I could be skipped pretty
easily.

For flattening my shaptons, I bought a diasharp course diamond stone.

Linux is Driving me $#@!!!! nutz!!! Gunner Metalworking 115 January 14th 06 08:49 PM
De-humidifier question N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 10th 05 12:40 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
Paver Stone Patio Installation Question M.Paul Home Repair 6 September 3rd 04 10:17 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 02:36 AM