Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Specific type of tubing for Exacta fence rails?

I recentlly bought an old Unisaw, and the Delta fence on it isn't that
bad. But, the first time I had to make a real cut, other than testing
the saw, I needed to cut a 2' x 4' piece of plywood, to 24" The fence
only lets me lock it down, for a max cut of about 23 1/2".
I could remount the rails, but it would decrease the left side cut.
I Have an Jet Exacta fence, but don't have the rails for it. Does
anyone know what type of 2 x 3 steel tubing should be used for the
rail? I know it's 2" x 3", but don't know the wall thickness, or type
of steel. Mild steel, cold rolled, seemless, etc.
Does anyone have the answers for me? Also anyone know the size of the
angle iron, the rail mounts on?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to making a nice saw, even nicer.

Cliff

Posted to rec.woodworking

sailor wrote:
I recentlly bought an old Unisaw, and the Delta fence on it isn't that
bad. But, the first time I had to make a real cut, other than testing
the saw, I needed to cut a 2' x 4' piece of plywood, to 24" The fence
only lets me lock it down, for a max cut of about 23 1/2".
I could remount the rails, but it would decrease the left side cut.
I Have an Jet Exacta fence, but don't have the rails for it. Does
anyone know what type of 2 x 3 steel tubing should be used for the
rail? I know it's 2" x 3", but don't know the wall thickness, or type
of steel. Mild steel, cold rolled, seemless, etc.
Does anyone have the answers for me? Also anyone know the size of the
angle iron, the rail mounts on?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to making a nice saw, even nicer.

Cliff

That rail size is 2 x 3, not 2 x 4! Typo!

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

I've an Exacta II fence, and the guide tubing is 3/32nds thick. Type of
steel? I dunno. As long as it's straight, and can withstand the
pressure of the locking cam. Angle iron it's mounted to is 2.5 x 2.5
inches, beefier stock. I'm sure there's room for fudging the specs,
though. Tom
sailor wrote:
I recentlly bought an old Unisaw, and the Delta fence on it isn't that
bad. But, the first time I had to make a real cut, other than testing
the saw, I needed to cut a 2' x 4' piece of plywood, to 24" The fence
only lets me lock it down, for a max cut of about 23 1/2".
I could remount the rails, but it would decrease the left side cut.
I Have an Jet Exacta fence, but don't have the rails for it. Does
anyone know what type of 2 x 3 steel tubing should be used for the
rail? I know it's 2" x 3", but don't know the wall thickness, or type
of steel. Mild steel, cold rolled, seemless, etc.
Does anyone have the answers for me? Also anyone know the size of the
angle iron, the rail mounts on?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to making a nice saw, even nicer.

Cliff

Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought a used Jet with dented rail. Went to a local steel distributor and
bought a 9' length of much heavier steel (about .180" thick and straight by
eye). I was very carefull when locating, drilling and tapping the mounting
holes on the welded seam side, went over the steel with a flexible abrasive
(fine) disk to smooth it up, primer, and off-white expoxy paint. Its longer
than the original, will never dent, looks and works great.

Jim in the Bluegrass

ups.com...