Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dial indicators are expensive

Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to
set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is
44. That is more than I have in the jointer!

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can buy a Dial Indicator and Magnetic Base for much less than you
said. Try Ebay.

"stryped" wrote in message
ps.com...
Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to
set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is
44. That is more than I have in the jointer!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think I bought a dial indicator a few years ago from Harbor Freight
for just a few dollars. And it's not a cheap piece of plastic.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Make your own magnetic gauges. It's easy. Tom
stryped wrote:
Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to
set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is
44. That is more than I have in the jointer!

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om, "stryped" wrote:
Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to
set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is
44. That is more than I have in the jointer!

You've already been given a link to one site that offers a dial indicator for
only 2/3 that much. I assure you that there are others even cheaper, if you
only take the trouble to look.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

stryped wrote:
Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to
set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is
44. That is more than I have in the jointer!

Grampa never needed no stinkin' dial indicator with no magnetic holder.

Straightedge and a set of feeler gauges. The latter item is $5 from the
Grizz.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"stryped" wrote in news:1158777940.624921.68320
@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to
set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is
44. That is more than I have in the jointer!

jlindustrial.com has a dial indicator and base for $19.00

Stock # AUMB1-15050C

Posted to rec.woodworking

I just use a good level and set it on the outfeed table. The knives are
rigtht when they just touch the top of the level.

"stryped" wrote in message
ps.com...
Thought about buying one because my manual said it was the best way to
set jointer knives. The idicator is 34 bucks. The magnetic holder is
44. That is more than I have in the jointer!

Posted to rec.woodworking

My wood sticks get pulled just a little bit from the outfeed table. I
get a pretty good cut when set up as the manual recommends. I guess
that is similar to your use a level recomendation.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:15:36 -0400, "tdup2"
wrote:

I just use a good level and set it on the outfeed table. The knives are
rigtht when they just touch the top of the level.

ups.com...