Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

Default Roy Underhill injured again.

I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 18/09/2006 4:27 PM, Tom wrote:

I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.

When he threaded his finger, were the threads male or female? I wonder
which would hurt worse?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Of course Roy is injured again, it's another day. I do not think that I
have ever seen him with out a band aid some where.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom wrote:
I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.

One time he taped a whole show with the chuck end of a spade bit
sticking out of his head.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

What show is this????This sounds like a must see so as I know what not to
do...lol
"Tom" wrote in message
m...
I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom" wrote in message
m...
I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.

I recently switched to Dish Network, is Roy's show on there? I have not
found it.

Thanks

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:20:41 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Of course Roy is injured again, it's another day. I do not think that I
have ever seen him with out a band aid some where.

He's the Les Nessman of the woodworking shows.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Of course Roy is injured again, it's another day. I do not think that I
have ever seen him with out a band aid some where.

Just as Mike Holmes advertises for Dewalt and Norm Abrahms hawks for Delta (or
PC or whoever), Roy Underhill advertises for Johnson & Johnson.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

What show is this????This sounds like a must see so as I know what not to
do...lol

Lee, it's "The Woodwright's Shop" (http://www.pbs.org/wws/) and without a
doubt is it a must-see.

You might not learn what not to do though. Last week I smiled when close to
the end of the show he finally noticed the cut I'd been watching since
halfway through. "Look at that; I've cut myself again." He seemed annoyed,
as if he thought he was on a roll for a new record (an entire show without
cutting himself), and missed it again.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Now here's a very scary thought. Imagine for a minute, Roy Underhill, in a
modern day woodworking shop full of power tools. They would have to
dedicate an entire emergency room staffed with surgeons and lots and lots of
blood on hand for transfusions.

"Tom" wrote in message
m...
I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If anyone has not watched Roy Underhill, they should. I find it amazing
see what can be done with just a hatchet and chisel. He does things
with simple tools, that we think we need equipment costing hundreds of
dollars to do.

I have been a fan of Roy's since I watched him go out in the woods, find
the right tree, cut it down, and then, when it is in the shop, split two
2X 12 from the log using a wedges. He used the planks to make the
carving horse he uses in his current shows.

We forget in this "safe at any cost" society what it was like to do
simple jobs 100 years ago. I believe anyone using those tools and
techniques that would also be a walking advertisement for Johnson and
Johnson. Have you ever watched a blacksmith working around a forge?

Ed Walsh wrote:
Now here's a very scary thought. Imagine for a minute, Roy Underhill, in a
modern day woodworking shop full of power tools. They would have to
dedicate an entire emergency room staffed with surgeons and lots and lots of
blood on hand for transfusions.

"Tom" wrote in message
m...

I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom" wrote in message
m...
I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.

They guy needs a neander version of Saw Stop

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:36:20 -0700, "Teamcasa"
wrote:

I recently switched to Dish Network, is Roy's show on there? I have not
found it.

Not on any DishNetwork stations per se. It's a PBS program and not all
PBS stations carry it. If you're eligible to get the PBS National Feed
(hard to do with so many local channel markets now available), it's on
there. Otherwise, you'll have to get the local channel package for
your area and hope the local PBS operator carries it. I get three PBS
stations in my local package, and only one carries Roy.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

keith_nuttle wrote:

We forget in this "safe at any cost" society what it was like to do
simple jobs 100 years ago. I believe anyone using those tools and
techniques that would also be a walking advertisement for Johnson and
Johnson. Have you ever watched a blacksmith working around a forge?

The guy is amazing. Great talent. I think a lot of his injuries occur
because he's trying to do things fast for the TV. He's also narrating
what he does, which is quite distracting.
But yes, it's reality TV at it's best.

My guess is that he has a lot fewer accidents when he's doing work at
his own pace and off camera.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bf" wrote in message

The guy is amazing. Great talent. I think a lot of his injuries occur
because he's trying to do things fast for the TV. He's also narrating
what he does, which is quite distracting.
But yes, it's reality TV at it's best.

"Real" reality TV will occur when they actually show one of his injuries
happening.

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote in
:

wrote:

I recently switched to Dish Network, is Roy's show on there? I have not
found it.

Not on any DishNetwork stations per se. It's a PBS program and not all
PBS stations carry it. If you're eligible to get the PBS National Feed
(hard to do with so many local channel markets now available), it's on
there. Otherwise, you'll have to get the local channel package for
your area and hope the local PBS operator carries it. I get three PBS
stations in my local package, and only one carries Roy.

On the SF Bay DirecTV package, there are a lot more PBS stations. Only one
has Roy right now, and the series is from 2005. Maybe that will change
soon.

Beats the heck out of cable, though.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jesse R Strawbridge" wrote in message

"Real" reality TV will occur when they actually show one of his injuries
happening.

They have.

Obviously, not by me. His shows aren't available in my area.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Look into digital TV. By 2009 regular TV will not be broadcast any more so
the conversion is in progress. With digital broadcast often PBS will have 3
sub channels of broadcast.

You can get cards to plug into your PC and hook up your antenna and watch
the digital TV on your PC.

I think it will be great when everything is switched over, I live in a deep
fringe area and I get fuzzy reception with regular TV and with digital it
has a "cliff" effect, if you can get any signal it will be clear. Yahoo no
cable, no dish and best of all no monthly bill.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 136...
LRod wrote in
:

wrote:

I recently switched to Dish Network, is Roy's show on there? I have not
found it.

Not on any DishNetwork stations per se. It's a PBS program and not all
PBS stations carry it. If you're eligible to get the PBS National Feed
(hard to do with so many local channel markets now available), it's on
there. Otherwise, you'll have to get the local channel package for
your area and hope the local PBS operator carries it. I get three PBS
stations in my local package, and only one carries Roy.

On the SF Bay DirecTV package, there are a lot more PBS stations. Only

one
has Roy right now, and the series is from 2005. Maybe that will change
soon.

Beats the heck out of cable, though.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:

It's a PBS program and not all
PBS stations carry it.

Well shiite. I get NYC and Philadelphia PBS stations (and Trenton, NJ,
for that matter). None of them carries this show, and those are two
big-market areas.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
boorite wrote:

Tom wrote:
I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.

One time he taped a whole show with the chuck end of a spade bit
sticking out of his head.

You know, I just had to come back to this post. It's 5 minutes since I
first read it and I'm still laughing. Thanks!

--
Every complicated problem has a simple solution that doesn't work.

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
lwasserm(@)charm(.)net
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Of course Roy is injured again, it's another day. I do not think that I
have ever seen him with out a band aid some where.

He's the Les Nessman of the woodworking shows.

Hardhats are in order if he ever conducts a "turkey drop".
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Leon, Joshua A. Lund wrote:
I'm the same it's a family joke that every time you see me I'll have a new
scar I'm proud of then each tells a lesson or memory like a photo I love my
scars

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...in-336486-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 8:14:07 AM UTC-5, Joshua A. Lund wrote:
replying to Leon, Joshua A. Lund wrote:
I'm the same it's a family joke that every time you see me I'll have a new
scar I'm proud of then each tells a lesson or memory like a photo I love my
scars

Scars are like tattoos but with better stories.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/10/2017 7:14 AM, Joshua A. Lund wrote:
replying to Leon, Joshua A. Lund wrote:
I'm the same it's a family joke that every time you see me I'll have a new
scar I'm proud of then each tells a lesson or memory like a photo I love my
scars

How many decades back was that comment?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joshua A. Lund" wrote in message ...

replying to Leon, Joshua A. Lund wrote:
I'm the same it's a family joke that every time you see me I'll have a new
scar I'm proud of then each tells a lesson or memory like a photo I love my
scars

Roy himself jokes about it... His Y2K Tool Kit was in fact a small first aid
kit. The contents include aspirin, alcohol wipes, iodine ointment, adhesive
bandages... I just checked and all the contents in mine are out of date...
;~)

I reposted some photos to ABPW... did it back in 2005 but they are probably
long gone!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 4:24:19 PM UTC-6, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Roy himself jokes about it... His Y2K Tool Kit was in fact a small first aid
kit. The contents include aspirin, alcohol wipes, iodine ointment, adhesive
bandages... I just checked and all the contents in mine are out of date...
;~)

I reposted some photos to ABPW... did it back in 2005 but they are probably
long gone!

Looks awfully clean, no open packages, no blood anywhere.

My in-shop first aid kit consists of a roll of paper towels and a needle to remove splinters.... and some beers in the frig.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 4:24:19 PM UTC-6, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Roy himself jokes about it... His Y2K Tool Kit was in fact a small first
aid
kit. The contents include aspirin, alcohol wipes, iodine ointment,
adhesive
bandages... I just checked and all the contents in mine are out of
date...
;~)

I reposted some photos to ABPW... did it back in 2005 but they are
probably
long gone!

Looks awfully clean, no open packages, no blood anywhere.

My in-shop first aid kit consists of a roll of paper towels and a needle to
remove splinters.... and some beers in the frig.

This first-aid kit resides inside a hand-cut dovetailed box along with
things like a Norm Abram autographed biscuit, L-N balsa wood glider, and
other oddities I've acquired over the years... I knew Roy at Colonial
Williamsburg when I worked there in the mid-80s and have encountered him
occasionally over the years. For example, he participated in my club's
woodworking show and also did a special program with us. He is fun to be
around... funny but serious about what he is doing. The Y2K Tool Kit is a
nice reminder of good times.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 18:05:35 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 4:24:19 PM UTC-6, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Roy himself jokes about it... His Y2K Tool Kit was in fact a small first aid
kit. The contents include aspirin, alcohol wipes, iodine ointment, adhesive
bandages... I just checked and all the contents in mine are out of date...
;~)

I reposted some photos to ABPW... did it back in 2005 but they are probably
long gone!

Looks awfully clean, no open packages, no blood anywhere.

My in-shop first aid kit consists of a roll of paper towels and a needle to remove splinters.... and some beers in the frig.

Beer anywhere around sharp, spinning, machinery isn't a good idea. No
beer, for me, anytime. Paper towels aren't going to cut it in my
shop, anyway - more like a selection of tourniquets (blood thinners).
;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 18, 2006 at 7:38:54 PM UTC-7, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Tom" wrote in message
m...
I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.

They guy needs a neander version of Saw Stop

He has that. Pedal operated, shuts down promptly when
blade touches flesh...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 9:32:07 PM UTC-6, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Sonny" wrote in message

[...]

An autographed Norm Abram biscuit is the best thing I've heard in a long time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote in message

On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 9:32:07 PM UTC-6, John Grossbohlin wrote:

This first-aid kit resides inside a hand-cut dovetailed box along with
things like a Norm Abram autographed biscuit, L-N balsa wood glider, and
other oddities I've acquired over the years... I knew Roy at Colonial
Williamsburg when I worked there in the mid-80s and have encountered him
occasionally over the years. For example, he participated in my club's
woodworking show and also did a special program with us. He is fun to be
around... funny but serious about what he is doing. The Y2K Tool Kit is a
nice reminder of good times.

An autographed Norm Abram biscuit is the best thing I've heard in a long
time.

I posted a photo to ABPW... It was clearly done as a tongue in check thing
by Norm and his people... ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 17:24:10 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"Joshua A. Lund" wrote in message ...

replying to Leon, Joshua A. Lund wrote:
I'm the same it's a family joke that every time you see me I'll have a new
scar I'm proud of then each tells a lesson or memory like a photo I love my
scars

Roy himself jokes about it... His Y2K Tool Kit was in fact a small first aid
kit. The contents include aspirin, alcohol wipes, iodine ointment, adhesive
bandages... I just checked and all the contents in mine are out of date...
;~)

I reposted some photos to ABPW... did it back in 2005 but they are probably
long gone!

On a whim, I grabbed all headers for the group via Easynews and got fills back
to August 2008. My archive on this computer goes back to 2004, but I did not
save everything. I don't have your Y2K posts from 2005, but did save your
series of veneering posts. While going through the posts I found lots of names
sorely missed in the group today.

Somewhere in the house on one of my old backup drives I have files from as far
back as 1997, perhaps even 1996, but it would take a lot of digging to find
them. I might have your Y2K backed up there.

Regards,
Roy