Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Redwood Siding Thickness

This isnt exactly fine woodworking but it might involve power tools so
I figured I ask here.

I am remodeling my kitchen which required me to move a window. I am
now at the point where I am trying to replace the siding. The house
was built in 1957 and has 1 x 8 redwood board and batten siding.

I figured I'd just go and buy more of the same at the local lumbar
yard. Nope. Somewhere between 1957 and now, the thickness of 1x
redwood boards changed from 3/4" to 5/8". So all the new stuff I can
buy is an 1/8" short and doesnt match with the old siding.

Can I buy an 1/8" thick sheet of something that I can put in back of
the boards? Can I plane down a 1/4" thick piece of ply to use in
back? Use 1/8" shims and leave a space behind each board? Can I
special order the right thickness? (Though I dont think the local
lumbaryard is equipped to do that)

Or should I just go out and buy 1 x 8 pine boards and hope it lasts?

BTW, the house is painted (the previous owner painted it, not me) so
pine would work just fine, if it would only hold up to the elements.

I'm tending toward the pine.

Any other ideas?

dickm
Posted to rec.woodworking

dicko wrote:
[...]

I'd buy some 7/8" cedar and run it though a thickness planer before I
would use pine. pine will hold up fine--it just isn't as good at
holding paint as redwood or cedar because it moves more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can have it made. We have a local lumberyard that charges a setup fee
(about $65) and a knife grinding fee (about $125) if they don't already have
the knives (they have a tremendous stock of patterns) and then so much per
lineal foot. You have to judge whether or not is it worth it.

You can buy 1/8" ply, but make sure it is protected. Also, yellow pine is
more rot resistant than white pine.

Preston

"dicko" wrote in message
news
[...]

Patching Hardboard Siding [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 14th 09 09:46 PM
Redwood Siding Dust Boy Home Repair 3 August 13th 06 03:51 AM
Redwood Siding Dust Boy Woodworking 0 August 12th 06 05:11 PM
Cement Fiber Siding in Place of Redwood? Jeffrae Home Repair 0 September 23rd 05 03:22 AM
Vinyl Siding Brands And Thickness ? Robert11 Home Repair 5 January 25th 05 12:46 AM