Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cabinet hardware

Forgive me for not poring over a google search for this, but I'm
looking for additions (if any) to past mentions.

I'm gonna hopefully be starting my kitchen cabinets this weekend which
has me thinking (again) about door pulls. I was thinking about making
my own outta walnut, but that's partially because I'm not finding
anything "intriguing" (unless it almost $20+ a piece). The SS
cylindrical pulls that come in various lengths are far too prolifigate
and I don't want something that's become so common.

I've looked at LeeValley and thehardwarehut, and probably a few others
but does anyone here recommend other places they've used for cabinet
hw?

Thanx
Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:

I've looked at LeeValley and thehardwarehut, and probably a few others
but does anyone here recommend other places they've used for cabinet
hw?

http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=58

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:37:35 -0400, Renata
wrote:

I've looked at LeeValley and thehardwarehut, and probably a few others
but does anyone here recommend other places they've used for cabinet
hw?

Thanx
Renata

Try www.vandykes.com

Lots of unusual pieces.

Regards.

Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:
Forgive me for not poring over a google search for this, but I'm
looking for additions (if any) to past mentions.

I'm gonna hopefully be starting my kitchen cabinets this weekend which
has me thinking (again) about door pulls. I was thinking about making
my own outta walnut, but that's partially because I'm not finding
anything "intriguing" (unless it almost $20+ a piece).

snip

Go to e-bay, then do a search for "drawer+pull" or "drawer+knobs", etc.

You will litterly find hundreds of "pulls".

What kind of material? (S/S, brass, wood, etc)

If you like hard maple, how does $8/100 grab you?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:10:46 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Renata wrote:
Forgive me for not poring over a google search for this, but I'm
looking for additions (if any) to past mentions.

I'm gonna hopefully be starting my kitchen cabinets this weekend which
has me thinking (again) about door pulls. I was thinking about making
my own outta walnut, but that's partially because I'm not finding
anything "intriguing" (unless it almost $20+ a piece).

snip

Go to e-bay, then do a search for "drawer+pull" or "drawer+knobs", etc.

You will litterly find hundreds of "pulls".

3182, in fact). Thanx, forgot about ebay.

What kind of material? (S/S, brass, wood, etc)

Walnut or SS/brushed nickel/similar ("contemporary" design).

If you like hard maple, how does $8/100 grab you?

Tell me more...

Renata

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:

Tell me more...

The guy is in Maine, I'm in SoCal.

Freight was more than the knobsG.

I don't have the address handy, but he is always listing knobos on ebay.

Since you might want walnut, do a search "walnut+drawer+knobs"

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 16:29:57 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Renata wrote:

Tell me more...

The guy is in Maine, I'm in SoCal.

Freight was more than the knobsG.

I don't have the address handy, but he is always listing knobos on ebay.

Since you might want walnut, do a search "walnut+drawer+knobs"

I did a search on ebay for walnut + (knobs or pulls) + (door or
drawer) and got 2 hits (yesterday; today there are ~4).

One for door pulls - for a Range Rover.
One for door locks knobs, for cars from the late 40s thru the 70s.

This was kinda amusing.

I'm actually thinking I'm either gonna make the walnut pulls (have a
semblance of an idea) or buy SS/nickel ones. Most of the wood pulls
are either plain spherical knobs (which style I'd probably go
w/SS-like) or too non-contemporary in style.

But, now, another set back. SInce I did some actual cooking over the
weekend, I found that I really (really!) don't like the stove across
the way from the sink/prep area. So, I'm gonna try (again) to
redesign the kitchen to see if I can rearrange things to have the sink
and stove on the same side, with prep between 'em (not as easy as you
think in the existing space).

Thanx for all the info (from all).

Renata

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:

I'm actually thinking I'm either gonna make the walnut pulls (have a
semblance of an idea) or buy SS/nickel ones. Most of the wood pulls
are either plain spherical knobs (which style I'd probably go
w/SS-like) or too non-contemporary in style.

There are tons of chrome plated, S/S, etc knobs on ebay.

I was considering something like that before settling on hard maple
for a chest of drawers I'm building.

But, now, another set back. SInce I did some actual cooking over the
weekend, I found that I really (really!) don't like the stove across
the way from the sink/prep area. So, I'm gonna try (again) to
redesign the kitchen to see if I can rearrange things to have the sink
and stove on the same side, with prep between 'em (not as easy as you
think in the existing space).

On a boat or train, it would be known as a "Pullman style" galley.

My present kitchen is laid out like that.

It does the job, buy so do some other layouts I've had over the years.

I've found having the prep area across from the stove just requires a
big cutting board to transfer cut up things from the prep area to the
stove along with the back edge of a big chef knife to sweep the board
clean.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:15:12 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Renata wrote:

[...]

Yes, now the debate in my mind is what do I lose in a new design vs
just having to deal w/a large cutting board. Had the cabinet layout
particulars done and having a hard time reconfiguring because I like
that design so much.

Was thinking of making a little cart, 'cause, you know, that 5' space
between cabinet runs is just soooo much.;-) (in all seriousness, it
would be convenient to have a little cart, maybe w/a butcherblock top;
and it's probably something I could whip up fairly quickly.

Renata

Lew