Junior Member

Unhappy Stain Keeps Weeping from Red Oak Table Top

I'm making a 40" by 60" table top made from red oak. After staining it with a oil stain the stain keeps weeping back out of the oak. I keep wiping it, but it still keeps coming out. This has been going on for over a week. The oak is below a 6% moisture content. Is there a cure for this?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stain Keeps Weeping from Red Oak Table Top

silver_18038 wrote:
I'm making a 40" by 60" table top made from red oak. After staining
it with a oil stain the stain keeps weeping back out of the oak. I
keep wiping it, but it still keeps coming out. This has been going
on for over a week. The oak is below a 6% moisture content. Is
there a cure for this?

1. Time

2. Don't stain

3. Don't use red oak (it's a sponge)

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"silver_18038" wrote in message

I'm making a 40" by 60" table top made from red oak. After staining it
with a oil stain the stain keeps weeping back out of the oak. I keep
wiping it, but it still keeps coming out. This has been going on for
over a week. The oak is below a 6% moisture content. Is there a cure
for this?

It must be your stain. I would use thinner to clean off the excess, sand
again, and choose another brand stain.
Good brands are Bartley's, General Finishes, and Zar.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"silver_18038" wrote in message

I'm making a 40" by 60" table top made from red oak. After staining it
with a oil stain the stain keeps weeping back out of the oak. I keep
wiping it, but it still keeps coming out. This has been going on for
over a week. The oak is below a 6% moisture content. Is there a cure
for this?

--
silver_18038

Been there, done that.

Red oak is porous. If you blow on the end of it, air will come out the
other end.

I would guess you liberally applied the stain with a brush and then wiped
the surface. If that's the case, I would guess that the thin stain soaked
into the pores and is now bleeding out. I did that one time and the stain
"freckled" on the wood. I threw the wood away.
If the scenario I described is true, wipe the stain thinly on to the wood
next time and don't let it puddle. You might try a jell stain. I wiped a
water stain on red oak another time with good luck. I think I remember some
one suggesting a thin shellac sealer on the wood prior to staining the wood.
I've never tried it though.

I now use white oak if I want oak, it is not porous like the red oak.

I don't know how to salvage the top you've made. I would wipe it daily.
hoping the entrapped stain dries and quits bleeding out. Good luck. :-)