Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Keeping brass shiny

Hi,

Is there any product that y'all know of that will prevent brass from
tarnishing/oxidizing? I am just about to inlay some 1/8" diameter brass
rods into a painted piece, and once inlaid, it will be difficult to polish
the inlay should it need it. Thanks for any help.

Mike G

Posted to rec.woodworking

MikeG (in et) said:

| Is there any product that y'all know of that will prevent brass from
| tarnishing/oxidizing?

If it's not going to be handled much, I've found that a coat of clear
Krylon works well. If it is going to be handled, it may be worth while
to have the brass gold-plated.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeG" wrote in message

Is there any product that y'all know of that will prevent brass from
tarnishing/oxidizing? I am just about to inlay some 1/8" diameter brass
rods into a painted piece, and once inlaid, it will be difficult to

polish
the inlay should it need it. Thanks for any help.

My ex FIL, who restored French carriage clocks as a hobby, always used
Farrow and Balls' "eggshell varnish" on the brass parts. AAMOF, my parents
still have a clock that I gave them 35 years ago and it is still as shiny as
new.

"Eggshell varnish" was readily available in the UK at the time, but I've
never seen it here in the US. Might want to DAGS.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/10/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

My front doo knobs where always tarnishing. Every year I'd dismatle
the hardware, polish them, spray them with laquer, put them back on.
It was a real pain in the back side.

Then I decided to spray them with gloss polyurethane. 15 years later
when I sold the house they were still bright and shiney. Now I use
polyurethane on all my brass. I guess the only downside is that if
you ever do need to polish it, the polyurethane would be a bear to get
off.

dickm

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 14:15:51 GMT, "MikeG" wrote:

Hi,

Is there any product that y'all know of that will prevent brass from
tarnishing/oxidizing? I am just about to inlay some 1/8" diameter brass
rods into a painted piece, and once inlaid, it will be difficult to polish
the inlay should it need it. Thanks for any help.

Mike G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

Mike G

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
dicko wrote:

Then I decided to spray them with gloss polyurethane. 15 years later
when I sold the house they were still bright and shiney. Now I use
polyurethane on all my brass. I guess the only downside is that if
you ever do need to polish it, the polyurethane would be a bear to get
off.

I may have to try this with my own old-house hardware.

I'd think the poly would easily dissolve after a short soak in lacquer
thinner.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

There is no "W" in Leadership.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeG" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi,

Is there any product that y'all know of that will prevent brass from
tarnishing/oxidizing? I am just about to inlay some 1/8" diameter brass
rods into a painted piece, and once inlaid, it will be difficult to
polish the inlay should it need it. Thanks for any help.

Mike G

I use an automobile clear coat that comes in a spray can. this is much
tougher than lacquer. Did this on our kitchen cabinets handles. Holds up
great.

It has removed 688 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to rec.woodworking
No No is offline

MikeG wrote:
Hi,

Is there any product that y'all know of that will prevent brass from
tarnishing/oxidizing? I am just about to inlay some 1/8" diameter brass
rods into a painted piece, and once inlaid, it will be difficult to polish
the inlay should it need it. Thanks for any help.

Mike G

I use spray lacquer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 21 Aug 2006 20:35:45 +0200, No wrote:

MikeG wrote:
Hi,

Is there any product that y'all know of that will prevent brass from
tarnishing/oxidizing? I am just about to inlay some 1/8" diameter brass
rods into a painted piece, and once inlaid, it will be difficult to polish
the inlay should it need it. Thanks for any help.

Mike G

I use spray lacquer.

I've used lacquer before with good results, but I've wondered what is
used on brass lamp shades where they get pretty hot. It seems to me
that lacquer would discolor in that application. Anyone ever tried
lacquer on a brass lamp shade? Or know what is used?
--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
No No is offline

MikeG wrote:
Hi,

Is there any product that y'all know of that will prevent brass from
tarnishing/oxidizing? I am just about to inlay some 1/8" diameter brass
rods into a painted piece, and once inlaid, it will be difficult to polish
the inlay should it need it. Thanks for any help.

Mike G

I use spray lacquer.

I've used lacquer before with good results, but I've wondered what is
used on brass lamp shades where they get pretty hot. It seems to me
that lacquer would discolor in that application. Anyone ever tried
lacquer on a brass lamp shade? Or know what is used?
--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Its easy to apply and easy to remove so why not just give it a shot.
Whats the worst that could happen?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 Aug 2006 16:55:08 +0200, No wrote:

Tim Douglass wrote:

I've used lacquer before with good results, but I've wondered what is
used on brass lamp shades where they get pretty hot. It seems to me
that lacquer would discolor in that application. Anyone ever tried
lacquer on a brass lamp shade? Or know what is used?
--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Its easy to apply and easy to remove so why not just give it a shot.
Whats the worst that could happen?

Because I'm lazy ;-) Actually because the lamp in question is a
project that I haven't done anything on for a couple years and that is
just a question that has floated around in my mind about it. If
someone know the answer it save me having to experiment. If no on does
I'll try it and see what happens. We're probably only talking about a
25 or 40 watt bulb, so it's not all *that* hot.
--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Brasso & elbow grease followed by spray lacquer works for marine lamps.

(Makes for a good winter project in Northern climes)

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 23:59:20 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Subject

Brasso & elbow grease followed by spray lacquer works for marine lamps.

I'll give it a try and see how it works. Thanks.