How To Make Radiator Cover

Old August 12th 06, 08:51 PM
Junior Member

Default How To Make Radiator Cover

Hi
Ive Bought a thin piece of hardwood but im unsure as to wether the wood is ok to put over a radiator and also i want to cut out a design in the wood , ive got a dremel with loads of bits i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips (im totally new to D.I.Y but im desperate to start doing things myself
thanks
Old August 13th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I built radiator covers a few years ago out of MDF. I just put a two inch
strip on each side and in the middle to minimize the amount of MDF sitting
on the the radiator. Haven't had a problem with them at all. If you are
using real wood I would worry about drying it out and having it crack or
warp.

Scott

--
Clair

Old August 13th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.woodworking
Tom

Check out www.thewoodworkingchannel.com the great British woodshop has a
clip occasionally on building one.

Old August 14th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking
bob

I had to build one, or more correctly "incorporate one", a while ago when I
designed a built-in wall unit for the livingroom. There was a raciator right
smack in the middle of the wall. I built around it, leaving lots of space
for access - it's one of those modern, low radiators with the flip-up sheet
metal cover, as opposed to a tall cast one. I mulled over the grille for a
while, and though I love the look of the old wood covers and thought of ways
to make a nice grille, I opted for something a bit different. The local
hardware store sells aluminium grilles in 2' x 3' sheets, with a variety of
nice looking cutout patterens. I built a wood frame and mounted the grille
onto it. With a few squares of strong Velcro, I can now pull the frame off
the built-in very easily in order to access the rad for yearly bleeding. As
a fringe benefit, the space is wide enough to store a big telescope tripod
in, nice and close to the door to the back deck. I lined the top of the
cavity with foil-covered bubble wrap because the stereo is directly above
the radiator, and lo and behold, even in mid winter, the cabinet holding the
stereo isn't even a bit warm.

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos