Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sauna heater question...

I have the most beautiful outdoor location for a sauna here in Olympia
washington, but it is a rental home, so all involved would like to make
it on the thrift.

I am building a 5x8x8 wooden sauna that needs a propane heater, as wood
would be difficult to get down this crazy trail which leads to the
sauna.

Could I take a friends small potbelly woodstove and insert a propane
burner into it? My thought was to clog the wood stoves intake and route
an exterior air intake pipe.... or do I even need to do that?

The propane stove is rated at 30,000 btu's and I read somewhere that
you need a thousand btu's for every 15 square feet of sauna space. That
makes 21,000 btu's. At least a third of my heat is heading out the
chimney, no?

Rocks on top of it all.

Any, all, advise desired.

Thanks!

Tor

PS. I am thinking of making it from cedar shakes. Sees the easiest and
cheapest. Thoughts on that?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Be sure to install a DIGITAL CO monitor.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Be sure to install a DIGITAL CO monitor.

Steve

I fear that one would be too sensitive and blast our eardrums out. Am I
wrong, but a sauna would have some higher CO levels, even when properly
designed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Be sure to install a DIGITAL CO monitor.

Steve

I fear that one would be too sensitive and blast our eardrums out. Am I
wrong, but a sauna would have some higher CO levels, even when properly
designed.

Well, you could always bet your life on it and find out, couldn't you?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

It looks like one can be had for $25 or so, but run on AC. I need to
find a battery operated one.

Still, its the general design of the stove that I am looking to get
advise on.

Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Be sure to install a DIGITAL CO monitor.

Steve

I fear that one would be too sensitive and blast our eardrums out. Am I
wrong, but a sauna would have some higher CO levels, even when properly
designed.

Well, you could always bet your life on it and find out, couldn't you?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

30,000 btu sounds like aa lot. i've put in a few electric sauna
heaters and something like you have would probably take 6 kw or so. but
better too many btu's than too few.

i don't have any advice on the propane design. i guess you'll have to
experiment. i don't think co is a big concern--i'd fire the sauna with
a window open until the rocks are good and hot, and then turn off the
burner while i was actually using the sauna. i do wonder if you can
get a propane tank, stove, building materials down there, why not just
go with wood heat? a good armfull per sauna session would about do it.
i guess you must have your reasons.

i built one in my basement this winter and used cedar undercourse
shakes for everything but the walls behind the benches and the ceiling.
worked great and looks good and much cheaper than panelling.

good luck

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
It looks like one can be had for $25 or so, but run on AC. I need to
find a battery operated one.

Still, its the general design of the stove that I am looking to get
advise on.

I use a Kidde, I believe in my cabin. At all times, it has a display of the
current CO level. Push a button, and it will display the high since the
last reset.

These are great, as if the danger point is say, 400, and the current level
is 397, you're not sitting there thinking everything's okay since it's not
screaming. Just a peace of mind issue, really. They will all scream if you
go over the limit.

CO is nasty stuff. It affects everyone differently. A room full of people
exposed will have different symptoms. Some conk out easier than others.

Yes, you are asking about information on your stove, and I cannot help you
on that. But I have had four friends killed by CO, and four others nearly
killed, so I just wanted to warn you about something you may not have
thought of.

I believe the Kidde units, or the other good ones with the displays are
about $40. Not a lot to spend for what you get.

STeve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve,

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your friends. No one goes into the
sauna for that. I can understand a post like mine could cause some
concern. Thanks for giving the heads up.

tor