Posted to rec.woodworking

Default trunnion misalignment

The blade on my contractor saw is parallel to the miter slots when the blade
is at 90 degrees, but gets off when the blade is tilted. Quite a bit by the
time I tilt it to 45 degrees.

It's my understanding that this is caused by the trunnions not being in the
same vertical plane and the solution is to shim the "high" trunnion.

My question is this. Is it possible the determine the "high" trunnion by the
direction in which the blade is off? My saw (a no-name Taiwanese clone) is a
right tilt and the back of the blade is further to the right than the front
when it it tilted.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:
The blade on my contractor saw is parallel to the miter slots when the blade
is at 90 degrees, but gets off when the blade is tilted. Quite a bit by the
time I tilt it to 45 degrees.

It's my understanding that this is caused by the trunnions not being in the
same vertical plane and the solution is to shim the "high" trunnion.

My question is this. Is it possible the determine the "high" trunnion by the
direction in which the blade is off? My saw (a no-name Taiwanese clone) is a
right tilt and the back of the blade is further to the right than the front
when it it tilted.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

You would need to shim the front trunnion; visualize lowering the
front of the blade while it is tilted at 45d.
..

..
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
The blade on my contractor saw is parallel to the miter slots when the
blade
is at 90 degrees, but gets off when the blade is tilted. Quite a bit by
the
time I tilt it to 45 degrees.

It's my understanding that this is caused by the trunnions not being in
the
same vertical plane and the solution is to shim the "high" trunnion.

My question is this. Is it possible the determine the "high" trunnion by
the
direction in which the blade is off? My saw (a no-name Taiwanese clone)
is a
right tilt and the back of the blade is further to the right than the
front
when it it tilted.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry,

If your TS has two, parallel tie-bars that span the trunnions, I can send
you two posts I made several years ago that cover how to do the alignment
(plus extra info) that covers that problem. The Delta site also now has the
same alignment procedure on their site. Search for model 36-444 manual.

If your email address is valid, I can send the posts directly to you have
the two tie-bar style undercarriage or I can repost them if they're
applicable.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
The blade on my contractor saw is parallel to the miter slots when the
blade
is at 90 degrees, but gets off when the blade is tilted. Quite a bit by
the
time I tilt it to 45 degrees.

It's my understanding that this is caused by the trunnions not being in
the
same vertical plane and the solution is to shim the "high" trunnion.

My question is this. Is it possible the determine the "high" trunnion by
the
direction in which the blade is off? My saw (a no-name Taiwanese clone)
is a
right tilt and the back of the blade is further to the right than the
front
when it it tilted.

Perennial question, probably can google for a web site. Has to do with
those two rails that hold your motor mount not being coplanar. Get them
right with a good flat board and perform the trunnion check.

General info http://www.newwoodworker.com/algntruns.html
High-tech http://www.in-lineindustries.com/alineit-test3.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:
The blade on my contractor saw is parallel to the miter slots when the
blade
is at 90 degrees, but gets off when the blade is tilted. Quite a bit by
the
time I tilt it to 45 degrees.

It's my understanding that this is caused by the trunnions not being in the
same vertical plane and the solution is to shim the "high" trunnion.

My question is this. Is it possible the determine the "high" trunnion by
the
direction in which the blade is off? My saw (a no-name Taiwanese clone) is
right tilt and the back of the blade is further to the right than the front
when it it tilted.

Grizzly has the process in the owners manual. Look at the 444Z TS, the
manual is on that page. Not sure if it's the same, but another check.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George wrote:

Perennial question, probably can google for a web site.**Has*to*do*with
those two rails that hold your motor mount not being coplanar.***Get*them
right with a good flat board and perform the trunnion check.

General info http://www.newwoodworker.com/algntruns.html

Thanks George, but neither of those websites, nor any others that Google came
up with, dealt with the problem I described. My saw passes all of their

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

BobS wrote:

If your email address is valid, I can send the posts directly to you have
the two tie-bar style undercarriage or I can repost them if they're
applicable.

Yes it is, and I would appreciate it. OTOH, it might be useful to others to
repost them.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
BobS wrote:

If your email address is valid, I can send the posts directly to you have
the two tie-bar style undercarriage or I can repost them if they're
applicable.

Yes it is, and I would appreciate it. OTOH, it might be useful to others to
repost them.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

I agree with Larry, a repost would help others (like me) who have this
problem with their contractor saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote:
BobS wrote:

If your email address is valid, I can send the posts directly to you have
the two tie-bar style undercarriage or I can repost them if they're
applicable.

Yes it is, and I would appreciate it. OTOH, it might be useful to others
to repost them.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

I agree with Larry, a repost would help others (like me) who have this
problem with their contractor saw.

I got mine fixed. I decided to shim the front trunnion down a lot (1/16") so
I'd be sure if it was moving things in the right direction. Turns out it was
exactly what I needed. A whole 1/16" of an inch! Sheesh! I've had the saw
at least 15 years. It had been a while since I tilted the blade, but it
wasn't over a few years ago. And it was OK then. I wonder what put it out
of alignment? Oh, well, the problem's fixed so I won't worry about the whys
of it.

But I, and apparently at least one other, would still like to see the article.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
RayV wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote:
BobS wrote:

[...]

Possible answer, but it seems kind of old results of a google groups
search for the phrase trunnion alignment in rec woodworking, first
result, watch the wrap.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...91fbdb7 87cc3
Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Gorman wrote:

Possible answer, but it seems kind of old results of a google groups
search for the phrase trunnion alignment in rec woodworking, first
result, watch the wrap.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...91fbdb7 87cc3
Joe

Interesting article. I had searched on "table saw alignment" so of course I
missed that one. I've got to learn to specify search terms better :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Frog Face Misalignment in new Stanley #4 Chipper Woodworking 3 November 30th 05 10:04 PM
Adjusting Table Saw Trunion Thomas Woodworking 20 February 14th 05 05:20 PM
Rusted TS Trunnion Art Woodworking 2 April 11th 04 08:20 PM
Adjusting groove width with table saw misalignment...? Faustino Dina Woodworking 3 November 28th 03 03:54 AM
acceptable misalignment in circular saw plate? Daniel Woodworking 2 November 28th 03 03:52 AM