A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » Woodworking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Woodworking (rec.woodworking) Discussion forum covering all aspects of working with wood. All levels of expertise are encouraged to particiapte.

trunnion misalignment



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 10th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,297
Default trunnion misalignment

The blade on my contractor saw is parallel to the miter slots when the blade
is at 90 degrees, but gets off when the blade is tilted. Quite a bit by the
time I tilt it to 45 degrees.

It's my understanding that this is caused by the trunnions not being in the
same vertical plane and the solution is to shim the "high" trunnion.

My question is this. Is it possible the determine the "high" trunnion by the
direction in which the blade is off? My saw (a no-name Taiwanese clone) is a
right tilt and the back of the blade is further to the right than the front
when it it tilted.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Ads
  #2  
Old July 10th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default trunnion misalignment

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:
The blade on my contractor saw is parallel to the miter slots when the blade
is at 90 degrees, but gets off when the blade is tilted. Quite a bit by the
time I tilt it to 45 degrees.

It's my understanding that this is caused by the trunnions not being in the
same vertical plane and the solution is to shim the "high" trunnion.

My question is this. Is it possible the determine the "high" trunnion by the
direction in which the blade is off? My saw (a no-name Taiwanese clone) is a
right tilt and the back of the blade is further to the right than the front
when it it tilted.

--
It's turtles, all the way down


You would need to shim the front trunnion; visualize lowering the
front of the blade while it is tilted at 45d.
..


..
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland


  #3  
Old July 10th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 67
Default trunnion misalignment


"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
...
The blade on my contractor saw is parallel to the miter slots when the
blade
is at 90 degrees, but gets off when the blade is tilted. Quite a bit by
the
time I tilt it to 45 degrees.

It's my understanding that this is caused by the trunnions not being in
the
same vertical plane and the solution is to shim the "high" trunnion.

My question is this. Is it possible the determine the "high" trunnion by
the
direction in which the blade is off? My saw (a no-name Taiwanese clone)
is a
right tilt and the back of the blade is further to the right than the
front
when it it tilted.

--
It's turtles, all the way down


Larry,

If your TS has two, parallel tie-bars that span the trunnions, I can send
you two posts I made several years ago that cover how to do the alignment
(plus extra info) that covers that problem. The Delta site also now has the
same alignment procedure on their site. Search for model 36-444 manual.

If your email address is valid, I can send the posts directly to you have
the two tie-bar style undercarriage or I can repost them if they're
applicable.

Bob S.



  #4  
Old July 10th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default trunnion misalignment


"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
...
The blade on my contractor saw is parallel to the miter slots when the
blade
is at 90 degrees, but gets off when the blade is tilted. Quite a bit by
the
time I tilt it to 45 degrees.

It's my understanding that this is caused by the trunnions not being in
the
same vertical plane and the solution is to shim the "high" trunnion.

My question is this. Is it possible the determine the "high" trunnion by
the
direction in which the blade is off? My saw (a no-name Taiwanese clone)
is a
right tilt and the back of the blade is further to the right than the
front
when it it tilted.


Perennial question, probably can google for a web site. Has to do with
those two rails that hold your motor mount not being coplanar. Get them
right with a good flat board and perform the trunnion check.

General info http://www.newwoodworker.com/algntruns.html
High-tech http://www.in-lineindustries.com/alineit-test3.html


  #5  
Old July 10th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 70
Default trunnion misalignment

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:
The blade on my contractor saw is parallel to the miter slots when the
blade
is at 90 degrees, but gets off when the blade is tilted. Quite a bit by
the
time I tilt it to 45 degrees.

It's my understanding that this is caused by the trunnions not being in the
same vertical plane and the solution is to shim the "high" trunnion.

My question is this. Is it possible the determine the "high" trunnion by
the
direction in which the blade is off? My saw (a no-name Taiwanese clone) is
a
right tilt and the back of the blade is further to the right than the front
when it it tilted.


Grizzly has the process in the owners manual. Look at the 444Z TS, the
manual is on that page. Not sure if it's the same, but another check.


  #6  
Old July 11th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,297
Default trunnion misalignment

George wrote:

Perennial question, probably can google for a web site.**Has*to*do*with
those two rails that hold your motor mount not being coplanar.***Get*them
right with a good flat board and perform the trunnion check.

General info http://www.newwoodworker.com/algntruns.html


Thanks George, but neither of those websites, nor any others that Google came
up with, dealt with the problem I described. My saw passes all of their
tests just fine. They never said "Now tilt the blade and repeat test X" :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
  #7  
Old July 11th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,297
Default trunnion misalignment

BobS wrote:

If your email address is valid, I can send the posts directly to you have
the two tie-bar style undercarriage or I can repost them if they're
applicable.


Yes it is, and I would appreciate it. OTOH, it might be useful to others to
repost them.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
  #8  
Old July 12th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 831
Default trunnion misalignment


Larry Blanchard wrote:
BobS wrote:

If your email address is valid, I can send the posts directly to you have
the two tie-bar style undercarriage or I can repost them if they're
applicable.


Yes it is, and I would appreciate it. OTOH, it might be useful to others to
repost them.

--
It's turtles, all the way down


I agree with Larry, a repost would help others (like me) who have this
problem with their contractor saw.

  #9  
Old July 12th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,297
Default trunnion misalignment

RayV wrote:


Larry Blanchard wrote:
BobS wrote:

If your email address is valid, I can send the posts directly to you have
the two tie-bar style undercarriage or I can repost them if they're
applicable.


Yes it is, and I would appreciate it. OTOH, it might be useful to others
to repost them.

--
It's turtles, all the way down


I agree with Larry, a repost would help others (like me) who have this
problem with their contractor saw.


I got mine fixed. I decided to shim the front trunnion down a lot (1/16") so
I'd be sure if it was moving things in the right direction. Turns out it was
exactly what I needed. A whole 1/16" of an inch! Sheesh! I've had the saw
at least 15 years. It had been a while since I tilted the blade, but it
wasn't over a few years ago. And it was OK then. I wonder what put it out
of alignment? Oh, well, the problem's fixed so I won't worry about the whys
of it.

But I, and apparently at least one other, would still like to see the article.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
  #10  
Old July 13th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 103
Default trunnion misalignment

Larry Blanchard wrote:
RayV wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote:
BobS wrote:

If your email address is valid, I can send the posts directly to you have
the two tie-bar style undercarriage or I can repost them if they're
applicable.
Yes it is, and I would appreciate it. OTOH, it might be useful to others
to repost them.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

I agree with Larry, a repost would help others (like me) who have this
problem with their contractor saw.


I got mine fixed. I decided to shim the front trunnion down a lot (1/16") so
I'd be sure if it was moving things in the right direction. Turns out it was
exactly what I needed. A whole 1/16" of an inch! Sheesh! I've had the saw
at least 15 years. It had been a while since I tilted the blade, but it
wasn't over a few years ago. And it was OK then. I wonder what put it out
of alignment? Oh, well, the problem's fixed so I won't worry about the whys
of it.

But I, and apparently at least one other, would still like to see the article.

Possible answer, but it seems kind of old results of a google groups
search for the phrase trunnion alignment in rec woodworking, first
result, watch the wrap.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...91fbdb7 87cc3
Joe
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frog Face Misalignment in new Stanley #4 Chipper Woodworking 3 November 30th 05 09:04 PM
Adjusting Table Saw Trunion Thomas Woodworking 20 February 14th 05 04:20 PM
Rusted TS Trunnion Art Woodworking 2 April 11th 04 07:20 PM
Adjusting groove width with table saw misalignment...? Faustino Dina Woodworking 3 November 28th 03 02:54 AM
acceptable misalignment in circular saw plate? Daniel Woodworking 2 November 28th 03 02:52 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.