Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Brought home my Rockwell 6"x48" belt , 12" disk sander home.... (w/pics)

I finally brought home my Delta/Rockwell sander,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sander1a.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sander2a.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sander3a.jpg

The motor was a 3450 RPM 3 phase motor and I could not easily find the motor
I wanted in 3450 RPM single phase. I decided on a 1.5HP 1725 RPM Leeson cap
start cap run motor with a manual reset overload. This required a larger
pulley but was not a problem to source.

I will be mounting the new mag starter inside the stand and using the
original remote on/off buttons.

I could probably just switch the motor and start using the machine, but I am
going to tear it down and paint it, replace the bearings, etc.

I was hoping for an older one, but 6 years is a long enough time to be
looking...

David.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
I finally brought home my Delta/Rockwell sander,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sander1a.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sander2a.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/sander3a.jpg

The motor was a 3450 RPM 3 phase motor and I could not easily find the
motor I wanted in 3450 RPM single phase. I decided on a 1.5HP 1725 RPM
Leeson cap start cap run motor with a manual reset overload. This required
a larger pulley but was not a problem to source.

Did you consider keeping the motor and adding a VFD? One complaint people
have with those combo sanders is that there is no ideal motor speed for both
the belt and the disc. With a VFD one could have the best of both, and
avoid changing the motor. These days you can get a VFD for not much more
than the price of a motor.

I have a similar Rockwell, but belt only, no disk. Fine machines!

--
********
Bill Pounds

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2006-07-03 00:40:19 -0700, "David F. Eisan"
said:

I finally brought home my Delta/Rockwell sander ...

A useful tool which should be in every woorworker's/metalworker's shop.

The 6x48 belt/12 disk was the first machine I bought new.

I had used the 12 disk model in H.S. metal shop in the 1950s.