Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Quality of Canadian Tire Rotary Tool vs Dremel

replying to Stephan, Dick wrote:
CTC rotary tool just as good as the Dremel 300. Used Dremel 3000 only twice
and it died on me in mid work. To have it repaired would cost as much as
buying another rotary tool. A piece of garbage. Just borrowed a CTC rotary
tool for $40.00 CDN and works just as good. Go figure. replying to ,
Diesel wrote:

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...el-182462-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 03:14:02 +0000, Dick
m wrote:

replying to Stephan, Dick wrote:
CTC rotary tool just as good as the Dremel 300. Used Dremel 3000 only twice
and it died on me in mid work. To have it repaired would cost as much as
buying another rotary tool. A piece of garbage. Just borrowed a CTC rotary
tool for $40.00 CDN and works just as good. Go figure. replying to ,

All of them are poor substitutes for a die grinder.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/15/2019 1:53 AM, J. Clarke wrote: On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 03:14:02
+0000, Dick

Diesel wrote:

All of them are poor substitutes for a die grinder.

No. A rotary tool (a decent one) is better suited for many jobs than a
die grinder. I own both. In fact more than a couple of both.
Unfortunately in my experience Dremel tools are not decent rotary tools.
They make some great accessories and supplies, but the tool itself is
marginal on a good day. This tool (link below) is far superior to a
Dremel rotary tool, and its below the level of snotty quality required
for some shops who use this "style" of tool professionally every single
day.

https://www.harborfreight.com/flexib...ver-40432.html

I have two of those Harbor Freight tool. They work amazingly well. I
even used them as spindles on a small dual spindle CNC machine
experiment years ago. They ran for upto a couple hours at a time doing
complex carving. The only problem I ever had was wearing out brushes in
the drive motors after a few weeks of running them all day, and brushes
are cheap and dead easy to replace.

The one and only thing the all in one plastic body and plastic bearing
mount Dremel style tools do is allow you to get into a tight out of
position spaces without taking the time to setup a stand for the motor
of a better flex shaft tool. If you take a few minutes to setup a space
to hang your motor. The flex shaft rotary hand piece is still better
because it is small, won't melt under prolonged use, and is easier to
hold and control.

I also have several additional higher quality hand pieces from Foredom.
They swap easily onto the Harbor Freight flex shafts. I keep different
tools I use all the time in each one.

DO NOT get sucked in by cheaper (or worse more expensive) Dremel or
Craftsman flex shaft tools with the tool holder built into the flex
shaft. They are no better than the all in one tool.

Rotozip is really no better except that it costs more typically and has
a little more horsepower than the typical Dremel. It excels at only the
one job it was made for. Butchering a fuzzy hole in drywall to push an
electrical box through. A small trim router would do the exact same job
only better.

That being said... a die grinder is a fine tool for hogging steel in
many cases.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Diesel wrote:

[...]

Interesting. I looked at one of these when Home Depot had their
tool+2 batteries for $99 deal a couple of months back but passed on it
because I didn't have an immediate need.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P460/308176530

I don't use this sort of thing often but there are some jobs that a
rotary tool is hard to beat. That said, I'm really shocked at the poor
quality of the Dremel tools.

[...]

I don't think I'd want to use my trim router on drywall. I've found
that RotoZips are way overkill anyway. A reciprocating saw blade on a
handle and a utility knife work better, IMO.

That being said... a die grinder is a fine tool for hogging steel in
many cases.

Dremel (rotary tool) for righthanders? John Doe Metalworking 22 August 23rd 18 04:34 AM
dremel rotary tool J.Lef Home Repair 4 September 17th 05 02:04 AM
Non-Dremel rotary tool. beee Woodworking 9 March 23rd 05 05:21 PM
Harbor Freight/Homier rotary tool vs. a real Dremel or Craftsman [email protected] Home Repair 3 January 13th 05 02:41 PM
Rotary tool (Dremel) flex-shaft lubricant? John Doe Metalworking 7 November 11th 03 02:11 AM