2x3 vs 2x4

Old June 20th 06, 08:06 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default 2x3 vs 2x4

I noticed that Home Depot is stocking 2x3 studs these days. I have used
them for a small garden shed and they are much easier/lighter to handle and
still give the strength for most places. I'm just wondering why these
haven't been produced longer? The price is about 25-35% less than 2x4's.

Old June 20th 06, 09:02 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I noticed that Home Depot is stocking 2x3 studs these days. I have used
them for a small garden shed and they are much easier/lighter to handle
and
still give the strength for most places. I'm just wondering why these
haven't been produced longer? The price is about 25-35% less than 2x4's.

They've always been out there..just not in demand

Old June 20th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.woodworking

2x3's have been around a long time.... they don't have the structural
strength of a 2x4, and require 12" c/c spacing when used in bearing
wall partitions.... that means 25% more studs than if you used 2x4s
(plus the additional labor cost of setting 25% more studs!), so much
for cost savings! In my area, for the past 25-years or more, it has
been typical to use 2x6 studs for exterior walls because of the
additional insulation space available.

Mort

Old June 20th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Rudy wrote:

I noticed that Home Depot is stocking 2x3 studs these days. I have used
them for a small garden shed and they are much easier/lighter to handle
and
still give the strength for most places. I'm just wondering why these
haven't been produced longer? The price is about 25-35% less than 2x4's.

They've always been out there..just not in demand

Major utility has been in furring out basement walls for insulation, with
some non-load-bearing use--just pulled down the plaster in the bathroom on
a late '60s house and found that the studs on the non-load-bearing wall
were 2x3 while the ones on the adjacent load-bearing wall were 2x4.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old June 20th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Mort Stevens wrote:
2x3's have been around a long time.... they don't have the structural
strength of a 2x4, and require 12" c/c spacing when used in bearing
wall partitions.... that means 25% more studs than if you used 2x4s
(plus the additional labor cost of setting 25% more studs!), so much
for cost savings! In my area, for the past 25-years or more, it has
been typical to use 2x6 studs for exterior walls because of the
additional insulation space available.

Mort

And by all means check your local codes before using the 2x3s.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Old June 20th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Fred" wrote in message
I noticed that Home Depot is stocking 2x3 studs these days.
....The price is about 25-35% less than 2x4's.

Gosh!

Old June 20th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Heh ... yeah, go figure. A 2x3 (1.5x2.5) is 28% less than a 2x4
(1.5x3.5). The pre-cut rough dimension is 25% less.

Knowing Home Depot, it wouldn't have surprised me though to see the 2x3s
only 10% less!

Jack

Old June 20th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Fred" wrote in message
I noticed that Home Depot is stocking 2x3 studs these days. I have used
them for a small garden shed and they are much easier/lighter to handle
and
still give the strength for most places. I'm just wondering why these
haven't been produced longer? The price is about 25-35% less than 2x4's.

They have been around for 50+ years that I know of, maybe longer. I used
them to frame out my basement to add insulation. Since they were not
structural, they worked very well for that.

Old June 21st 06, 09:25 AM posted to rec.woodworking

In article IfMlg.14438$RU4.10727@trnddc03,
Fred wrote:
I noticed that Home Depot is stocking 2x3 studs these days. I have used
them for a small garden shed and they are much easier/lighter to handle and
still give the strength for most places. I'm just wondering why these
haven't been produced longer? The price is about 25-35% less than 2x4's.

They've been commonly available for as lon as I can remember, and I'm
talking about long before HD even existed.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland