Posted to rec.woodworking
TerryKing

Default "Retractable" Casters for Radial Arm Saw base ???

Can anyone point to a supplier of casters that easily retract (and
hopefully easily extend)?

I need to be able to roll my Radial Arm Saw on it's moderately heavy
base from place to place. But I really want the base to sit on it's own
legs when it's parked-for-work. I have casters with 'locks' on them on
my planer and it's never stable, and moves a bit way too easily - a bad
solution.

Also, any DIY - weldit ideas welcome...

Thanks!
Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage
(Back ...In The Barn In Vermont for the Summer)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

May I also suggest a mobile base with a retractable front wheel? The wheel
raises and lets the front corners set on rubber feet. I have one on a
stationary 15" planer, one on a router table, and one on a drill
press/mortise machine stand and they all are steady when the front wheel is
retracted.
Probably cheaper than a set of good retractable casters.
At one time I had a 350 pound BS sitting on one of mine.
Look here, and, they are currently on sale for $37.99.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ovile% 20base

"TerryKing" wrote in message
ps.com...
Can anyone point to a supplier of casters that easily retract (and
hopefully easily extend)?

I need to be able to roll my Radial Arm Saw on it's moderately heavy
base from place to place. But I really want the base to sit on it's own
legs when it's parked-for-work. I have casters with 'locks' on them on
my planer and it's never stable, and moves a bit way too easily - a bad
solution.

Also, any DIY - weldit ideas welcome...

Thanks!
Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage
(Back ...In The Barn In Vermont for the Summer)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

TerryKing wrote:
Can anyone point to a supplier of casters that easily retract (and
hopefully easily extend)?

Do a google for "furniture glides" which I did last night.

You will find them.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

hinge a 2x4 to the edge of the legs. Atach casters to 2x4 so perpendicular
when flipped up. Hmmm, make a big knob out of a piece of wood, so when
spun into position it flips the 2x4 and its casters 90 degees downwards into
the whelling position. May need a piece of rope. I saw this probly in a by
Nick Engler ww book series. Could make it eleganant with intelocking
pieces of wood. If you only did one side, could pick it up like a trolly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

um, I bet the rope was for the wood block spinning, maybe a looped rope, and
the plank hinged you can push down with your foot. So you don't have to
bend down.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Woodhead

Try Harbor Freight 41915 Universal Mobile Base kit (if still available). Its
exactly the same as Delta's, but with poor instructions. For about 1/3 the
price you can figure it out. I have two of the Delata and two Harbor
Freight. Samo samo.

Good luck, Jim

"TerryKing" wrote in message
ps.com...
Can anyone point to a supplier of casters that easily retract (and
hopefully easily extend)?

I need to be able to roll my Radial Arm Saw on it's moderately heavy
base from place to place. But I really want the base to sit on it's own
legs when it's parked-for-work. I have casters with 'locks' on them on
my planer and it's never stable, and moves a bit way too easily - a bad
solution.

Also, any DIY - weldit ideas welcome...

Thanks!
Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage
(Back ...In The Barn In Vermont for the Summer)

Posted to rec.woodworking
L d\Bonnie

TerryKing wrote:
Can anyone point to a supplier of casters that easily retract (and
hopefully easily extend)?

I need to be able to roll my Radial Arm Saw on it's moderately heavy
base from place to place. But I really want the base to sit on it's own
legs when it's parked-for-work. I have casters with 'locks' on them on
my planer and it's never stable, and moves a bit way too easily - a bad
solution.

Also, any DIY - weldit ideas welcome...

Thanks!
Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage
(Back ...In The Barn In Vermont for the Summer)

I used Norms worktable idea.

http://www.newyankee.com/getphoto2.cgi?0207.jpg

Casters from Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,240&p=40133

The casters are on hinged boards that swing up allowing the
table to stand on its legs. Stepping on a plank pushes a
series of levers down on the casters lifting the table and
locking the casters into place. Lifting the plank releases
the casters dropping the table back down on to its legs.

I have a Radial Arm Saw, a Bandsaw, and a 400 + lb. Planer
mounted on movable tables that fit into a space between
two 8 ft. permanent workbenches.

Gives me a RAS with a 18 ft rip fence and a Planer with
8 ft. in and out feed tables.

Thinking of a way to build another movable table for my
Drill Press, one with a top surface that will crank up
and down so I can vary the height of the drill working
surface in relation to the two benches.

My Table Saw is movable as well as my Jointer and
Dust Collector, along with my newest acquisition
an Expandable Roller Stand

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/acces/saw.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Guys, thanks for the great pointers and ideas..!

I like the idea of the work tables and multiple tools. Hmmm.....

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage
(Back ...In The Woods In Vermont for the Summer)