Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Jr

Default Murphy, wall, hideaway bed plans

Hello Woodworkers,
I am considering making a Murphy bed.

I have tried to find some free plans and got a copy of the Workbench plans
that are around. They are kind of vague and don;t show the hinge points or
the counter weighting. I have a link to the Create-A-Bed kit that looks
very promising and it is supposed to be easy to make. It looks like the
same kit that Rockler sells. I also found some plans from U-bild.com The
description says it's spring assisted but it looks like it is just a
variation of the plan for the Create-A-Bed kit, so I'm thinking I would buy
the plans and the first instruction would be to order a kit from Rockler or
Create-A-Bed?

here are the links to the sites

Create-A-Bed
http://www.wallbed.com/

Rockler (yiks! watch that line wrap)
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9
&SearchHandle=DADBDADBDADADDDGDJDEDDGFGCDCDGDJCNGC GFDBGGCNDEGDDGDGCNGBGCDJD
JCNGFDDGCGCGDDJDBDGDJGBGCGBDADADADBDADADADADGGNHFH CHAGIHJDADADADEDADADADADA
DADADBDFDADADADBDADADADADADADADADADADADADBDADADADA DGGNHFHCHAGIHJDADADADBDB&
filter=murphy

U-BILD.com
http://www.u-bild.com/projects-indoor/707.htm

Anyone make a Murphy or wall bed? Got any tips?
I was kinda think'n (that's usually my first sign of trouble ahead) I could
use some steel plates with 1/2” bolts mounted through them for the hinge
but the counter weighting not so easy to figure out.

I want to make a horizontal queen size. The room I want to put it in has a
fan and I already have the mattress.

Thank You,
Pat Jr.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tvfarmer

Hello Pat,
I actuall bought the "Create-a BED" but haven't had time to make it
yet - it is sitting in my basement right now. I liked the piston type
mech vers the springs. Thought it would be more quiet.
Jeff

Pat Jr wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lu Powell

I built one for my daughter using the Create-A-Bed kit and plans. The
instruction manual and cutting scheme were first-rate. Even included a
detailed DVD video.

Works like a charm.

"Pat Jr" wrote in message
. 3.50...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wes Stewart

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:03:20 -0000, Pat Jr
wrote:

Hello Woodworkers,
I am considering making a Murphy bed.

In the past, I've talked with a guy at our local Off the Wall Beds,
and learned that they will sell the guts of their systems to DIYers.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Jr

Hello Tvfarmer,
Thank You for your reply.
Looks like a nice kit and get good reviews.
Pat Jr.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Jr

Hello Lu Powell,
Thank You for your reply. Ah! Real world experiance. Seems to support what
they say on the web site. Might even be kind of fun?

Pat Jr.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Jr

Hello Wes Stewart,
Thank You for your reply. I'll see if I can find store out this way and
what they say.

Pat Jr.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Malkeh

Hi Pat,

I actually know a fellow with an MFA who specializes in a
custom-designed Murphy Bed. He has built and installed several artful
pieces. They are quite phenomenal.

To contact him his name is:

Tony Mann
912-764-2462

Tell hm Parris sent you via internet.
Tell him about your interest. I'm sure he will give you some guidance.
Good luck.

Pat Jr wrote:
Hello Wes Stewart,
Thank You for your reply. I'll see if I can find store out this way and
what they say.

Pat Jr.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

I bought the create-a-bed kit. I haven't gotten around to building it yet
though. It comes with very complete plans and a step by step DVD. The
hardware appears to be very good quality. Very compact system. Unless you
have a lot of time and a machine shop (got the shop, no time), I think you
would have a hard time beating this one. Looks like I'm going to fallow the
plans on this one. That will be a first.

"Pat Jr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Jr

Hello CW,
Thank You for your reply.
That's great to hear. I think I am going to order the kit from Create-A-Bed
the only complaint I have seen about them is folks have a hard time getting
around to making the bed up, but after that it's all good.

Pat Jr.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Jr

Hello Malkeh,
Thank You for the reply and the offer of the referal.

Pat Jr.