Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Nuzum

Default Finishing cherry

I have just about finished assembling a cherry cabinet consisting of cherry
veneered plywood sides and top with cherry hardwood moldings. I am noticing
that the cherry veneer is a rose-reddish color while most of the molding
pieces are a lighter red color.
While I am new to woodworking in general, I am newer still to any knowledge
of proper finishing. I attended a Woodcraft class that suggested a "spit
coat" followed by a dye or gel stain. I haven't done anything yet.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter
equalize the color.
Thanks,
Ken

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
om...
I have just about finished assembling a cherry cabinet consisting of cherry
veneered plywood sides and top with cherry hardwood moldings. I am noticing
that the cherry veneer is a rose-reddish color while most of the molding
pieces are a lighter red color.
While I am new to woodworking in general, I am newer still to any
knowledge of proper finishing. I attended a Woodcraft class that suggested
a "spit coat" followed by a dye or gel stain. I haven't done anything yet.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter
equalize the color.
Thanks,
Ken

Staining, gel or otherwise will usually solicit the wrath of many in this
group.

Cherry will darken when exposed to sunlight. After using the finish of your
choice, based on its intended use, lacquer, shellac, polyurethane or oil
finish, expose it to the sun and it will turn darker and most likely more
uniform in color.

For me, when I make something from cherry, I finish it and start to use it.
The color will come. However, be careful when leaving stuff in one spot for
long periods of time as the color will not darken as fast under something.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
om...
I have just about finished assembling a cherry cabinet consisting of cherry
veneered plywood sides and top with cherry hardwood moldings. I am noticing
that the cherry veneer is a rose-reddish color while most of the molding
pieces are a lighter red color.
While I am new to woodworking in general, I am newer still to any
knowledge of proper finishing. I attended a Woodcraft class that suggested
a "spit coat" followed by a dye or gel stain. I haven't done anything yet.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter
equalize the color.
Thanks,
Ken

It is a crap shoot. Cherry darkens. The plywood might be naturally darker,
or it might have darkened a bit already.
I would just leave it alone and take it as it comes.

But you could try seriously sanding a piece of scrap. If it doesn't get
lighter, then it is dark wood and you might want to try a light stain on the
lighter wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
om...
I have just about finished assembling a cherry cabinet consisting of cherry
veneered plywood sides and top with cherry hardwood moldings. I am noticing
that the cherry veneer is a rose-reddish color while most of the molding
pieces are a lighter red color.
While I am new to woodworking in general, I am newer still to any
knowledge of proper finishing. I attended a Woodcraft class that suggested
a "spit coat" followed by a dye or gel stain. I haven't done anything yet.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter
equalize the color.
Thanks,
Ken

I'm guessing that a spit coat is another name for a wash coat or a sealing
coat?? Never hear that one. Ayway, uniformity is over-rated. Nature isn't
uniform so why do we expect our furniture to be comletely the same. Yes, a
big differential between sapwood and heartwood isn't very attractive in
large doses but sometimes I find those little light flashes to be
interesting. Kind of like knots and the surrounding swirl. Just my
opinion.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:34:18 -0400, "Ken Nuzum" wrote:

I have just about finished assembling a cherry cabinet consisting of cherry
veneered plywood sides and top with cherry hardwood moldings. I am noticing
that the cherry veneer is a rose-reddish color while most of the molding
pieces are a lighter red color.
While I am new to woodworking in general, I am newer still to any knowledge
of proper finishing. I attended a Woodcraft class that suggested a "spit
coat" followed by a dye or gel stain. I haven't done anything yet.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter
equalize the color.
Thanks,
Ken

Just my personal opinion as a wood lover, but I'd let it darken or not, as it
likes..

I really don't have a problem with the moldings not being the exact shade as the
rest of the cabinet... a little contrast is a nice effect and IMHO the more
natural cherry is, the better it looks..

OTOH, you could prime it with black latex until the glue dries.. *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ken Nuzum wrote:
I have just about finished assembling a cherry cabinet consisting of cherry
veneered plywood sides and top with cherry hardwood moldings. I am noticing
that the cherry veneer is a rose-reddish color while most of the molding
pieces are a lighter red color.
While I am new to woodworking in general, I am newer still to any knowledge
of proper finishing. I attended a Woodcraft class that suggested a "spit
coat" followed by a dye or gel stain. I haven't done anything yet.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter
equalize the color.
Thanks,
Ken

Boiled Linseed oil followed by coats of appropiate finish is what I
always use. I'd guess the lighter color on the moldings are because
they are freshly cut where as the ply has been exposed. So in the long
run the moldings will deepen in color

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

wrote:

I have just about finished assembling a cherry cabinet consisting of cherry
veneered plywood sides and top with cherry hardwood moldings. I am noticing
that the cherry veneer is a rose-reddish color while most of the molding
pieces are a lighter red color.
While I am new to woodworking in general, I am newer still to any knowledge
of proper finishing. I attended a Woodcraft class that suggested a "spit
coat" followed by a dye or gel stain. I haven't done anything yet.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter
equalize the color.

Lots of guys here hate staining cherry, and I'm no fan of it myself-
but that being said, I've seen it done plenty of times on cabinets,
and the standard procedure is to use a seal coat, spray on analine dye
to even the color, and then top coat. You lose a lot of the depth of
the wood, and the slightly green tones disappear almost completely-
but it's consistant. And if that's what you need, the above works
fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Ken Nuzum wrote:
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter
equalize the color.

Minwax gel stain in "Walnut" would even it out nicely.

JP
**********************
(kidding)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Consult the bulletin boards at www.homesteadfinishing.com....or books
by Jeff Jewitt or Bob Flexner...plenty of info on staining cherry and
evening out the color....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

CW wrote:
That or paint.

Har! I just lurv painted cherry.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme

Jay Pique wrote:
CW wrote:
That or paint.

Har! I just lurv painted cherry.

JP

OK. Funny, funny. I get it. I love the look of natural wood as well, but
if I wanted to darken the sapwood just a bit, is there a way without
loosing the depth and beauty of the cherry?

Thanks,
Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

A dye would do well. Even a light stain job would be fine. I have no problem
with staining anything you like. It's up to you to achieve the look you
want. If stain does that, great, stain it.
If someone else doesn't like it, let them make their own. Yes, the paint
remark was a joke but only in as far as it was obvious that that was not the
look you were after. Painted furniture is fine if that's the look you want
but you would likely make it out of something less than cherry if you were
going to do that.

"eclipsme" wrote in message
.. .
Jay Pique wrote:
CW wrote:
That or paint.

Har! I just lurv painted cherry.

JP

OK. Funny, funny. I get it. I love the look of natural wood as well, but
if I wanted to darken the sapwood just a bit, is there a way without
loosing the depth and beauty of the cherry?

Thanks,
Harvey

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:55:38 -0400, eclipsme wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:
CW wrote:
That or paint.

Har! I just lurv painted cherry.

JP

OK. Funny, funny. I get it. I love the look of natural wood as well, but
if I wanted to darken the sapwood just a bit, is there a way without
loosing the depth and beauty of the cherry?

Thanks,
Harvey

You might try exposing the sapwood to sunlight...
if the unit assembled, I guess you could mask off the ply and let the trim get
sun light?