Posted to rec.woodworking
Phil-in-MI

Default Learning CAD

This post is not about which is the Best CAD, it is about learning CAD.

Due to a cast on my Right foot for the next 9 weeks or so, I thought I might
try my hand at learning CAD. My Shop is off-limits with a cast and crutches.

I took a drafting course in High School back about 1964, but don't remember
much. As I recall, the big thing is just to do, start simple, and work to
complex, but most important just draft.

I purchased a 'learning to draft' book from Amazon a few years ago after one
of this NG Lo-o-ng CAD debates.

So my question, does anyone have a suggestion as to learning TurboCAD,
CADopia (intelliCAD?), DesignCAD, and so forth. Looking for WEB sites,
Forums, or just simple projects to learn from. As I figure it, the CAD
program with the most help for me to learn on my own, will be the most
useful program, so I will buy that program.

TIA
Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

Phil-in-MI wrote:
[...]

Most of the mfg's have forums; I'd sub to a few of those, lurk
awhile, and try asking some basic questions.

IMO, the way to start is 2-D, especially since you already have a
background. Your biggest problem will be learning the new
syntax, most likely. Vertex, node, layer usage, etc..

Visualize something. A simple box made from sticks and 1/4" ply,
say. Draft up a rectangular box, all views: Front, Side, Top,
Bottom, whatever. Then add in the hidden lines, say. Once all
components are in place, next thing is to dimension it so you can
make a cut list. Now lay out all the individual parts,
dimensioned, complete with rabbets, dados, half laps, whatever
you used. Now calculate the amount of lumber you need. Bingo!
Then move to layers, so you can show it with and without a
skin, say.

When you feel confident, pick something reasonable simple that
you want to do in the shop. When you finally get to your shop,
or have a friend test the plans, try cutting everything out from
the cutlist and material list and see if they'll go together the
way they're supposed to.
They probably won't the first time, BTW; don't be too
disappointed. It's normal.

Then you can decide whether to flesh out your 2D abilities or
not, and whether to continue on to 3D.

Google Sketchit is a good visualization program, and free, and a
lot of people seem to like it. If you have a legitimate CAD
program though, you'll find shortly that Sketchit cannot do a lot
of things your own CAD can do. If Sketchit had better export
functions, I'd probably use it myself by doing a lot of initials
in it, and then finessing with my TurboCad, but ... remember, you
get what you pay forg in most instances. I'm not belittling
Sketchit; it's a good program, but actually more a modelling
program than a CAD program, but it can do a respectable job with
most things.

Mostly, play, play, play! THEN you'll hopefully know where your
weaknesses and strengths might be. Reality can be a real
education! G

HTH,
Pop

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

If you can find someone in your area, who either used it professionally, or
took a full study of it in school, that is the best and quickest way to
learn. It is worth the money given to an individual to learn how to use it,
because it is worth nothing if you can't. Put an ad on a board at the
supermarket, etc. Some of the schools aren't worth peanuts. I've got a
honours 2 yr full time CAD/CAM college diploma (don't ask), and I could have
no problem giving you the whole package, and nothing but the package:
AutoCAD, at least. Though there are more than one way to do it, in whole
and in part, it is a systematic duty. Without a solid quantity of
hindsight, it can be completely hopeless.