Posted to rec.woodworking
harsh

Default help converting a (adjustable) shelf into a pull out shelf

Hello,

I am seeking suggestions/advice on experimental project. One of the
kitchen cabinets is very narrow -- 4.5" opening, 12" deep. It is
difficult to get at stuff way in the back. Hence the desire to have a
pull out shelf.

This wall cabinet is at the end -- so another constraint is that I can
not have screws from the side.

The face frame is 1.5" wide. So the internal width is about 7.5".

I am considering these options:

1. Center mount slide. Screw back of slide into the back wall. Make a
wood cross rail and glue (or somehow fasten) it to the face frame.
Screw the front of the slide into the new cross rail. Slide the shelf
on this center mounted rail. Problem #1 -- cant find a source for 12"
center mount slides. Problem #2. Fastening the cross rail and matching
the stain (the cross rail will not be visible when the door is shut).

2. Side mount slide. Eats up another inch of room. Pretty much
impossible to fasten the rear/back end of the slide to the cabinet
wall. Screws will likely show.

3. Under mount slide. A slide on each end. Face frame mounting kits
available. Eats up space.

Obviously I prefer option #1 (if only I could find some slides).

Any suggestions including out-of-the-box (heh) ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
-Harsh

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

harsh wrote:

I am seeking suggestions/advice on experimental project. One of the
kitchen cabinets is very narrow -- 4.5" opening, 12" deep. It is
difficult to get at stuff way in the back. Hence the desire to have a
pull out shelf.

I am considering these options:

1. Center mount slide. Problem #1 -- cant find a source for 12"
center mount slides.

Would these work?

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...614,43616&ap=2

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"harsh" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Cut the frame and make it part of a new drawer/sliding shelve.
Dave