Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default Studying a Chinese "Sideboard"

Since Power Poster 2000 has dumped 500 or more "messages" to
a.b.p.w. - I 've posted the illustration of a cross section of the
front of the Chinese sideboard I'm studying in a.b.p.f.

I earlier started a thread here titled -
"D'ja ever REALLY study a nice piece of furniture?"

I'm really studying a Chinese "sideboard" I inherited
and, in addition to noting how they play with the
visible parts - rounded over edges, integral beads,
integral coves etc., I'm trying to deduce the hidden
joinery - none of which is visible from the outside
of the piece. I intend to post what I find as I figure
it out and make drawings of what I find - and there'e
plenty to discover.

I did a drawing of a cross section of part of the front
of this piece. What I discovered is that Chinese furniture
designers / makers, at least the ones who go for the "Ming
Dynasty" style, are very good at making things look
delicate while while maintaining the structural strength
required by the parts.

Am working on drawings of the triple mitered Aprons
to Leg parts and their joinery. Will post that here when
it's done.

As I go, I hope to figure out one way to make the
joints and illustrate the method.

As always, comments, suggestions, questions and
constructive criticism are appreciated.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

charlie b wrote:
[...]

Any chance you could cut a few joints and pass them around the class?
I love it when they do that in seminars.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , charlie b
wrote:

Am working on drawings of the triple mitered Aprons
to Leg parts and their joinery. Will post that here when
it's done.

Wait till the copyright violation flood is over in abpw, please.
Supernews is pretty good at retention but I imagine a lot of posts are
getting knocked off other servers almost immediately.