DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Looking for Western Red Cedar in Maryland (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/156394-looking-western-red-cedar-maryland.html)

Tim Sauerwein May 6th 06 04:53 PM

Looking for Western Red Cedar in Maryland

I've got a request from the wife for a pegola project and called my
local lumber yard, Johnson Lumber in Edgewater, MD. $2.88 LF for a
clear 2x4 and $4.33 LF for 2x6. 8ft 4x4 clear posts we $34 each.

I was wondering if these are reasonable prices and what my alternatives
were as far as retailers...or species (of wood, not retailers:)!

Thanks

Tim

Dave W May 7th 06 02:43 PM

Looking for Western Red Cedar in Maryland

I really like eastern white cedar for outdoor projects. I would not bury it
in the ground though. Here in Maine it is $1/bf at the mill.
Dave

Tim Sauerwein May 7th 06 04:17 PM

Looking for Western Red Cedar in Maryland

Thanks Dave,

I never heard of this wood. Is it only in Maine? The price sounds
right!

Tim

[email protected] May 7th 06 06:21 PM

Tim Sauerwein wrote:
I've got a request from the wife for a pegola project and called my
local lumber yard, Johnson Lumber in Edgewater, MD. $2.88 LF for a
clear 2x4 and $4.33 LF for 2x6. 8ft 4x4 clear posts we $34 each.

I was wondering if these are reasonable prices and what my alternatives
were as far as retailers...or species (of wood, not retailers:)!

They have WRC at Lowe's. Not sure of the pricing and only in
1x.

--

FF

Han May 7th 06 10:12 PM

Looking for Western Red Cedar in Maryland

wrote in news:1147022515.482033.194990
@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Tim Sauerwein wrote:
I've got a request from the wife for a pegola project and called my
local lumber yard, Johnson Lumber in Edgewater, MD. $2.88 LF for a
clear 2x4 and $4.33 LF for 2x6. 8ft 4x4 clear posts we $34 each.

I was wondering if these are reasonable prices and what my alternatives
were as far as retailers...or species (of wood, not retailers:)!

They have WRC at Lowe's. Not sure of the pricing and only in
1x.

No cedar of any kind in the Butler (Rt23) Lowes, nor the BORG next doors.

I want to make a very simple garden bench from cedar from a magazine
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/main/pdf/bench30.pdf
But I can't find cedar around NJ zip 07410 crying

--
Best regards
Han

Art Greenberg May 8th 06 11:40 AM

On Sun, 07 May 2006 21:12:40 GMT, Han wrote:

I want to make a very simple garden bench from cedar from a magazine
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/main/pdf/bench30.pdf But I can't find
cedar around NJ zip 07410 crying

Han,

Call Frank Martin at Agincourt, 908 874-8234. He's in Hillsborough NJ, about
an hour's drive for you. Last time I was there, he had several woods suitable
for outdoor projects, including cedars and cypress.

You can also plug your ZIP code into Woodfinder http://www.woodfinder.com and
see what suppliers are listed in your area. Its not necessarily a complete
listing, but you might find what you need.

--
Art

Gus May 8th 06 02:15 PM

Art Greenberg wrote:
On Sun, 07 May 2006 21:12:40 GMT, Han wrote:

I want to make a very simple garden bench from cedar from a magazine
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/main/pdf/bench30.pdf But I can't find
cedar around NJ zip 07410 crying

Han,

Call Frank Martin at Agincourt, 908 874-8234. He's in Hillsborough NJ, about
an hour's drive for you. Last time I was there, he had several woods suitable
for outdoor projects, including cedars and cypress.

Art,

Where in Hillsborough?

I need some cypress myself.

Thanks

Art Greenberg May 8th 06 02:51 PM

On 8 May 2006 06:15:13 -0700, Gus wrote:
Call Frank Martin at Agincourt, 908 874-8234. He's in Hillsborough NJ, about
an hour's drive for you. Last time I was there, he had several woods suitable
for outdoor projects, including cedars and cypress.

Art,

Where in Hillsborough?
I need some cypress myself.
Thanks

Gus, Agincourt is at 212 E. Mountain Road. Best to call before you visit.

--
Art

Han May 9th 06 03:00 AM

Looking for Western Red Cedar in Maryland

Art Greenberg wrote in
:

On 8 May 2006 06:15:13 -0700, Gus wrote:
Call Frank Martin at Agincourt, 908 874-8234. He's in Hillsborough
NJ, about an hour's drive for you. Last time I was there, he had
several woods suitable for outdoor projects, including cedars and
cypress.

Art,

Where in Hillsborough?
I need some cypress myself.
Thanks

Gus, Agincourt is at 212 E. Mountain Road. Best to call before you
visit.

Thanks Art!

--
Best regards