Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Default Is my TS broke?

I have a Jet contractor saw that recently started vibrating. I can see
the belt bouncing when the saw is running. I had never replaced the
belt after about 4 years of moderate use. I thought the belt was bad
because it was worn enough that it was sitting low in the pulleys and
everything appeared lined up well. Replaced the belt with the correct
sized green belt, for mowers and the like, but no improvement.

It was then I notice that the motor mount bracket *may* be bent. It is
a stamped steel bracket that hangs on the bottom of a cast iron mount.
Just past the mounting pin the steel bracket has a slight bend to it,
about 5 degrees. I don't recall if this bracket is supposed to be bent
or the weight of the motor has bent it.

Is the steel bracket that the motor bolts to supposed to be bent
slightly or should it be straight?
The bracket that I am talking about is #113 on page 18 of this manual:
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/m_708301.pdf

If it should be straight I can probably straighten it and reinforce it
with some angle iron.

Are the link style belts that much better than a standard belt? (the
belt I just bought was $12)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

Not familiar with your specific saw, but I would NOT use a lawnmower belt on
a table saw. It is way too stiff. You want a very flexible (bendable) belt
that does not go into an oval shape by itself when it is removed and you lay
it on the bench. The green belts are very stiff and will likely want to
remain oval shaped for their entire life. A segmented auto type fan belt
works pretty good, the link style belts work much better. A slight bend in a
bracket is less likely to cause the vibration as it may even belong there,
but the pulleys need to be in alignment with each other. You should be able
to put a straight edge along the side flange of one pulley and it should
touch (or very nearly so) the same side of the flange on the other pulley if
the flanges are the same thickness. This alignment isn't super critical, but
it can cause problems if it is way off (i.e. more than 1/8"). The blade
could be causing the vibration too. Try running the saw without a blade or
with a different blade. Some older saws had 1/2" arbors. If your saw is one
of these and you put a blade on with a 5/8" arbor hole in it without the
special 1/2-5/8 insert adapter, it will cause an incredible amount of
vibration. It will also be very dangerous to use this way.

--
Charley

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

Link belts have the advantage of not developing a permanent kink where it
goes around the small motor pulley when not in use. A standard belt can
over time develop that kink as it sits unused in your shop. However, this
doesn't seem to be your problem since a new belt didn't solve it. I don't
have a clue on the motor bracket. But Jet is trying to convince the market
that they have excellent support and service so I'd get on the phone to
them.
"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Great idea Max!

Just got off the phone with Jet. They said the bracket should be
straight asked for my address and said I should receive the new bracket
in a week or two. Never even hinted that I should pay for it.

I'm shocked! I didn't know companies cared about customer satisfaction
anymore.

In this instance Jet came through and is taking care of it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

"RayV" writes:

Check the bank accounts of your TS, the you will see if its broke...
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Charley wrote:
Not familiar with your specific saw, but I would NOT use a lawnmower belt on
a table saw. It is way too stiff.

Green belts are actually pretty soft. I have one on a drill press.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob

Wow!

http://lisa2.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hannappe
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ...
7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn,
Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve
23

Upon inspecting my old 1953 Sears Craftsman table saw inherited from my
father I discovered
9 neatly engraved numbers on the side. Wondering if they might be a
secret bank account
for my table saw I contacted www.swiss-bank-accounts.com. Low and
behold I
discovered they were indeed a Swiss bank account now worth over 2K $. I
advise you
all to check your older table saws for your account..you might be as
surprised as I was.
I'm buying a Powermatic with this money as soon as Amazon has it for
under $800 with a Dust Collector
thrown in.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

[...]