what are the best screws for Melamine Board?

Old May 5th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default what are the best screws for Melamine Board?

What are the best screws to use with Melamine Board, it seems that
woodscrews strip out very quickly.

Old May 5th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking

bdeditch wrote:
What are the best screws to use with Melamine Board, it seems that
woodscrews strip out very quickly.

It (or any particle board) doesn't hold screws well.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old May 5th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Drill hole, insert glue and a piece of dowel - cut flush. Pre-drill dowel
then when you put the screw in, it will have something better to grip. End
grain is not the best but it beats particle board.

Bob S.

oups.com...

Old May 5th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.woodworking

bdeditch wrote:
What are the best screws to use with Melamine Board, it seems that
woodscrews strip out very quickly.

There are special particleboard screws. They have very thin sharp
coarse threads that stick out more than normal from the shaft so that
they grip as much material as possible while causing minimal disturbance.

Chris
Old May 5th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking

a} 'Thru-Bolt' with flat washers whenever possible
b}Use use Stainless Steel or Brass 'Threaded Inserts' when you can't / won't
/ don't want to

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

oups.com...

Old May 5th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking

bdeditch wrote:

What are the best screws to use with Melamine Board, it seems that
woodscrews strip out very quickly.

You can't get there from here with wood screws IMHO.

There are some options as follows:

1) Use coarse thread sheet metal screws rather than wood screws.

2) Drill an oversize hole(1/2"), then glue in a 1/2" dowel. Drill
pilot hole in dowel for screw.

3) Drill an oversize hole (1/2"), then fill with epoxy thickened with
micro-balloons. When cured, drill pilot hole for sheet metal screw.

Option 3 is by far the most complex; however, it is also the strongest.

Lew

Old May 5th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

In article fXM6g.969$OF6.824@trnddc06,
"dadiOH" wrote:

It (or any particle board) doesn't hold screws well.

Compared to a pre-drilled and threaded solid block of maple?...I guess
you're right.

But... I have driven ( and had driven for me) literally tens of
thousands of low-root PB nub-head screws and seldom did I experience a
failure in any of the assemblies.

What it comes down to, is to make sure that there is sufficient particle
board to screw into and that the proper pre-drill/screw combo is used.
If you screw a # 10 wood screw at 1/2" from the edge of a piece of 5/8
PB...of course it is going to fail.

So much of this is common sense.

Is it wood?

No.

....but I have been in some pretty spectacular houses which were nothing
but concrete and steel. It's all what you do with the materials you
select.

IOW... don't reject PB as a legit material, just because you don't
understand its limitations.

Respectfully I remain,

Old May 6th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 May 2006 11:29:22 -0700, "bdeditch" wrote:

What are the best screws to use with Melamine Board, it seems that
woodscrews strip out very quickly.

I use these.
http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/ProductID/T0077

Old May 6th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Norm uses a special stepdrill and screws. I think McFeely's sells them.
He's built several things with PB and this setup.

MJ Wallace

Old May 6th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 May 2006 17:33:27 -0700, "MJ" wrote:

Norm uses a special stepdrill and screws. I think McFeely's sells them.
He's built several things with PB and this setup.

MJ Wallace

I use conformat screws, work well.
http://www.cabinetmart.com/69-6350C.html