Posted to rec.woodworking
jd

Default jointer blades

I have inherited a Craftman jointer, Model 103.23340

It is about 50 or 60 years old and besides a little surface rust is in
really good shape. I need to find a place to get blades and the spacer that
goes with the blades. It has 2 of the blades in it but is missing one and
the spacer that helps lock it in. The blades are a little over 4 inches, i
don't remeber the exact measurement and i am at work now so i can't go look.

I found one website with 4 inch blades but they were unable to actually get
them. Does anyone know where i can order some. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob AZ

You said it all. I am fairly certain that Sears will have them to
order. If not Ebay.
Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jody

jd wrote:
I have inherited a Craftman jointer, Model 103.23340

It is about 50 or 60 years old and besides a little surface rust is in
really good shape. I need to find a place to get blades and the spacer that
goes with the blades. It has 2 of the blades in it but is missing one and
the spacer that helps lock it in. The blades are a little over 4 inches, i
don't remeber the exact measurement and i am at work now so i can't go look.

I found one website with 4 inch blades but they were unable to actually get
them. Does anyone know where i can order some. Thanks.

You might try sears parts for the wedge, as for the knives I have had
good luck with http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/planer_knives.html
Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

jd wrote:
I have inherited a Craftman jointer, Model 103.23340

It is about 50 or 60 years old and besides a little surface rust is in
really good shape. I need to find a place to get blades and the spacer that
goes with the blades. It has 2 of the blades in it but is missing one and
the spacer that helps lock it in. The blades are a little over 4 inches, i
don't remeber the exact measurement and i am at work now so i can't go look.

I found one website with 4 inch blades but they were unable to actually get
them. Does anyone know where i can order some. Thanks.

Be really careful with Sears knives. I ordered a set for my 6"
Craftsman. They were enough out of tolerance that they came out and
tried to kill me. Test with scrap (with the guard on) before you do
anything. I ultimately got a set of Freud knives. Then I gave the
whole shebang to my next door neighbor with manuals and caveats. Oh and
Sears will fight tooth and nail to protect their interests. If you want
to look at the saga, a google to the rec on jo4hn (sender) and jointer
(subject) might yield more info than you wanted.
luck,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
JD

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:55:22 -0700, jo4hn wrote:

jd wrote:
[...]

Actually, the old Craftsman products were very good. My grandfather used
Craftsman tools 40 odd years ago and did spectacular cabinetry work. Some
of the modern material does leave a lot to wish for though.

JD

Posted to rec.woodworking

jd wrote:
I have inherited a Craftman jointer, Model 103.23340

It is about 50 or 60 years old and besides a little surface rust is in
really good shape. I need to find a place to get blades and the spacer that
goes with the blades. It has 2 of the blades in it but is missing one and
the spacer that helps lock it in. The blades are a little over 4 inches, i
don't remeber the exact measurement and i am at work now so i can't go look.

I found one website with 4 inch blades but they were unable to actually get
them. Does anyone know where i can order some. Thanks.

unless they are really strange knives you can get them made up at any
decent sharpening service.