Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default cleaning a canister DC?

While changing my DC plastic bag, I noticed that the canister was caked with
dust. I ran the brushes around a few times and got about a coffee can full
of dust out of it. Looking in, it didn't look much different than before
using the brushes.

I ruan compressed air all around and got about 5 coffee cans full of dust.
It looked like I got maybe 80% of the dust out of the filter.

1) Was the brush cleaning adequate? Does having dust filling all the pleats
hurt the air flow, or is that how it is supposed to be?
2) If it is inadequate, is it just my brushes (KUFO) that are no good and
other brands are better?

I changed the bag because it had a hole in it. Not having another bag, I
put a trash can inside the bag with a hole in it. Horrible idea; the
swirling air grabs and shakes the garbage bag. It will not survive long.
So, I have to buy something.

I have seen two things on the market other than simple clear bags. I could
get a felt bag in hopes of increasing my airflow. Any sense to that?
I have seen an adaptor to put a trash can under the DC
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=893-338
Anyone tried this? Maybe it is just two seams to leak instead of one...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Toller" wrote:

Snip

I don't know about cleaning the filter - mine cakes up too, but it still
works great, so I guess it's a non-issue.

I changed the bag because it had a hole in it. Not having another bag, I
put a trash can inside the bag with a hole in it. Horrible idea; the
swirling air grabs and shakes the garbage bag. It will not survive long.
So, I have to buy something.

Try putting the plastic bag inside the trash can. I've done that with my
Jet canister DC for a while now and it works very well. The bags are
lasting much much longer and it seems a tad quieter.

I have seen two things on the market other than simple clear bags. I could
get a felt bag in hopes of increasing my airflow. Any sense to that?
I have seen an adaptor to put a trash can under the DC
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=893-338
Anyone tried this? Maybe it is just two seams to leak instead of one...

Yeah, mine looks a lot like that setup except the standard plastic bag
is stuck inside the can. When I go to empty it, I just release the top
of the bag from the DC, fold it down into the can and carry the can
outside and empty into our city yard waste recycling bin for the city to
use.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Toller" wrote in message

1) Was the brush cleaning adequate? Does having dust filling all the
pleats hurt the air flow, or is that how it is supposed to be?

Dust settles wherever it can't fit through - the sieve effect - or whever
the force moving it diminishes to where it can't carry it further.
Purpose of the pleats is more surface area in the same cylinder, with
reduced force per unit of area, and the non-woven design takes advantage of
the settling you get from low speed airflow and turbulence which lodges it
in the fibers.

2) If it is inadequate, is it just my brushes (KUFO) that are no good and
other brands are better?

The brush is the equivalent of emptying the sieve. The compressed air
raised the airflow to enough velocity to dislodge the resting dust inside
the filter fibers. Your eye can't tell the difference, its all.

I have seen two things on the market other than simple clear bags. I
could get a felt bag in hopes of increasing my airflow. Any sense to
that?
I have seen an adaptor to put a trash can under the DC
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=893-338
Anyone tried this? Maybe it is just two seams to leak instead of one...

Felt would allow airflow other than into the canister itself. Probably as
effective as the pleats above in particle size trapped, so there would be
some initial benefit in airflow, followed by a slowing as it loaded.

YQ-95 II Saws type cement concrete road surface crack cleaning machine [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 4th 06 12:20 AM
"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Dust Collection: Bags Versus Canister Filters [email protected] Woodworking 5 November 2nd 05 05:23 AM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM