Posted to rec.woodworking

Default pine sap or pitch

I scored a load of 1"x12" x 12' mostly pine and some spruce boards.
The intent is to use them for some furniture or cabinets The pine
look very nice but some have heavy sap/pitch congealed in the wood.
Anyone ever have something like this and what did you do to keep it
sealed in. Or used to suck it out of the grain. The sap/pitch
boards are quite heavy and they look like the nicest ones.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking
SonomaProducts.com

You can seal sap in with Shellac. If it is real runny it might be a
problem but it generally works very well. Make sure to use dewaxed
shellac if you will put any other finish over the shellac, which is
reccomended generally. I have put both poly and lacquer over shellac
with good results.

P.S. I love sappy Pine, especially sappy knots. They can look
translucent. The nicest one I ever did, now that I think of it, was
only finished with several coats of rubbed out shellac and it was
awesome in the sunlight.