Posted to rec.woodworking

Default So what's the best type of sander for furniture refinishing

Hi,

So what's the best type of sander for furniture refinishing?

There are so many types and confused by them. (What's the difference
b/w disk and orbital? Oscillating and vibrating?) Rather than figure
all of this out and graduate from the school of sanding with high
honors, can I cheat and just have one of you tell me what the best kind
of sander for refinishing small furnature is? For the open areas and
for the corners? (I heard random orbit is a candidate.)

Thank you!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

The two basic types you're concerned with are orbital (a.k.a. 1/4 sheet
sander, palm sander), which has a rectangular pad, and random-orbit,
which has a round pad that orbits and spins.

An orbital 1/4 sheet sander has the advantage that it will fit into
corners. It leaves an OK finish with finer grits (150+), but if you try
to get aggressive, you'll be punished with the dreaded squiggly
scratches.

A random-orbit sander is more effective all around: better finish with
fine grits, faster stock removal with coarse paper, better dust
collection when connected to a vac, less vibration for the user.

If you absolutely can't get both, I'd say get the random-orbit and use
a hand sanding bolck to get into corners.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

So what's the best type of sander for furniture refinishing?

There are so many types and confused by them. (What's the difference
b/w disk and orbital? Oscillating and vibrating?) Rather than figure
all of this out and graduate from the school of sanding with high
honors, can I cheat and just have one of you tell me what the best kind
of sander for refinishing small furnature is? For the open areas and
for the corners? (I heard random orbit is a candidate.)

Thank you!

Aaron Fude

What kind of furniture? What kind of finish in on them. It all matters for
the *best* sander.
Sometimes a belt sander is king, other time a Fein detail sander is the one
you want. There are others in-between. If I was forced, kicking and
screaming, I settle with a half sheet random orbit and scrap or hand sand
the smaller stuff. Fortunately no one will get any of my sanders until
after the deep digging and sad singing!

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

snip
OK, what if I could get 2 sanders. One is the random orbit. What would
be the other?
How about the Ryobi DS1100 or CFS1501K?

Also, don't mean to start a long discussion here, but if I want to make
this a moderate hobby (say, refinish 1 piece a month) is the price
difference between Ryobi and DeWalt worth it?

I'd pass on both.
If I could only get two, it would be the Porter Cable 330 and 505.
If my budget could not stand both, the 505 would be my choice.
If the 505 is out of range start with the 330.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:
snip
OK, what if I could get 2 sanders. One is the random orbit. What would
be the other?
How about the Ryobi DS1100 or CFS1501K?

Also, don't mean to start a long discussion here, but if I want to make
this a moderate hobby (say, refinish 1 piece a month) is the price
difference between Ryobi and DeWalt worth it?

I'd pass on both.
If I could only get two, it would be the Porter Cable 330 and 505.
If my budget could not stand both, the 505 would be my choice.
If the 505 is out of range start with the 330.

Dave

Thaks very much for the advice. Is the 340k similar to 330?

Finally, I have a very silly question. Where do I buy the sand paper
for these? I'm looking on the home depot website but not finding
anything.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
wrote:

If you absolutely can't get both, I'd say get the random-orbit and use
a hand sanding bolck to get into corners.

I agree.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

How about the Ryobi DS1100 or CFS1501K?

Also, don't mean to start a long discussion here, but if I want to make
this a moderate hobby (say, refinish 1 piece a month) is the price
difference between Ryobi and DeWalt worth it?

I'd pass on both.
If I could only get two, it would be the Porter Cable 330 and 505.
If my budget could not stand both, the 505 would be my choice.
If the 505 is out of range start with the 330.

Dave

Thaks very much for the advice. Is the 340k similar to 330?

Finally, I have a very silly question. Where do I buy the sand paper
for these? I'm looking on the home depot website but not finding
anything.

The Porter Cable Site can better explain the differences. To me, the 330,
square base (no special sandpaper required) is easier to use than the round,
(special sandpaper required)340k

I use Stikit paper for most of my sanding jobs. Search Amazon and other
sites.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

A disk sander is a large rotating disk, usually stationary with a tilt
table. This is great for sanding angles on pieces you can hold.

A random orbital sander is hand-held. It is very popular and requires
purchasing special round papers.

A palm sander is hand-held and most can use regular sandpapers. Not
as good as a detail sander, but it can get into corners. I like this
sander a lot and it is fairly inexpensive.

For small items a detail sander is a good choice.

A belt sander is usually handled with two hands, very aggressive, and
used for larger areas.

In all fairness each sander has strengths and weaknesses. I suggest
you start out with a palm sander.

On 3 Apr 2006 06:53:54 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

So what's the best type of sander for furniture refinishing?

There are so many types and confused by them. (What's the difference
b/w disk and orbital? Oscillating and vibrating?) Rather than figure
all of this out and graduate from the school of sanding with high
honors, can I cheat and just have one of you tell me what the best kind
of sander for refinishing small furnature is? For the open areas and
for the corners? (I heard random orbit is a candidate.)

Thank you!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

If you absolutely can't get both, I'd say get the random-orbit and use
a hand sanding bolck to get into corners.

I agree also. I've been very happy with my $35 Ryobi RO sander, but I
haven't used the big names, so I can't comment on those.
As far as paper, if you must buy from Home Depot, I'd definitely look
at Norton 3X sandpaper discs. They might not have it on their website,
but I think they almost certainly would in the store. Even better than
that, I'd recommend Mirka Gold discs from Amazon (do a search depending
on the size and number of holes you need). Lee Valley is a top-notch
company to deal with, and they also have several types of sanding
discs, such as
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...10&cat=1,42500 if you
need 5" discs. I'd recommend looking for something that says no-load
or reduced loading - finish, glue, etc would gunk up regular sandpaper
pretty quickly, and low-loading paper would reduce this somewhat.
Finally, I'd recommend hooking whatever sander you get up to a vacuum,
even if it comes with a little dust collection bag. The vac will keep
your air cleaner, but will also extend the life of your sandpaper as
less gunk will have a chance to build up. Of course you'll need discs
with holes to match your sander for this to work (standards are either
5- or 8-hole).
Hope this helps,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:
A disk sander is a large rotating disk, usually stationary with a tilt
table. This is great for sanding angles on pieces you can hold.

A random orbital sander is hand-held. It is very popular and requires
purchasing special round papers.

A palm sander is hand-held and most can use regular sandpapers. Not
as good as a detail sander, but it can get into corners. I like this
sander a lot and it is fairly inexpensive.

For small items a detail sander is a good choice.

Thanks! Is the following a detail sander? Is is a detail sender by
definition very small?

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+3966&pos=n24