Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cut nails, rabbet joints and reinforced corners

I'm building a toy box (no top, thanks JOAT) and want to reinforce the
rabbet joints at the corners with 2x2 diagonal braces cut into
triangles. For the outside, I liked the idea of using cut nails
(thanks to you too Mr. Dingley). Being a relative newbie, I have some
questions regarding the wisdom of this plan of action:

Will the wood move enough that I shouldn't glue the diagonal braces to
the insides of the box? The grain for the corner braces will be
vertical, and the grain of the sides of the boxes will be horizontal.
The box is made of pine 1x left over from a job building shelves.

Will the cut nails work? Will they split the wood? Will they hold? I
drove a couple of hard-cut masonry nails (it's what I have) into a test
piece this evening, and am not inspired. I drilled a pilot hole,
wallowed it out to fit the long dimension of the cut nail (long
dimension across the grain of the board) and tapped it in. It went in
hard, but came out kind of easy. It would seem that the relatively
soft wood fibers move right out of the way, and don't grip the nail
very well. Pilot hole too big, or what? Will the wood "heal" around
the nail over a period of hours or days? They (the nails) were 2 1/2"
long, so that may have had something to do with it.

Thanks for the help,

-Phil Crow

P.S. My chair turned out great. All those pieces of 3/4" stock should
burn readily. Sometimes I wonder why I got started in this hobby.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Phil,

I think the nails you are using are probably the "concret" variety
which are not suitable for what you are doing. Go to
http://www.tremontnail.com/ for a look see. I have used a variety of
their nails for several projects and am happy with the results. Also,
in order to avoid splitting the long side of the nail should be
parallel with the grain. Predrilling may be necessary for nails over
1.5".

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Phil,

I think the nails you are using are probably the "concret" variety
which are not suitable for what you are doing. Go to
http://www.tremontnail.com/ for a look see. I have used a variety of
their nails for several projects and am happy with the results. Also,
in order to avoid splitting the long side of the nail should be
parallel with the grain. Predrilling may be necessary for nails over
1.5".

Ed

Yes, they are concrete nails, but they're what I had on hand.
According to tremontnail.com, the prices look about the same for
hard-cut masonry nails that you can get at the Borg. I think I'll try
again, turning the nail 90 degrees and drilling a smaller pilot hole.
I don't mind buying nails, but why buy when I already have? Is there
something in particular that makes hard-cuts unsuitable?

-Phil Crow