How to stain red oak to look slightly yellow

Old April 3rd 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to stain red oak to look slightly yellow

I have added cabinets to our kitchen using red oak, the exsiting
cabinets
also made from red oak appear to have been finished
"natural" but have
a slightly yellow look, and there is not much contrast of the grain...
very
good looking finish. My cabinets however look like oak, lots of grain,
lots
of contrast and more on the red, orange side...

Any suggestions would be appriciated...

Old April 3rd 06, 11:38 AM posted to rec.woodworking

scottsignmart wrote:
I have added cabinets to our kitchen using red oak, the exsiting
cabinets
also made from red oak appear to have been finished
"natural" but have
a slightly yellow look, and there is not much contrast of the grain...
very
good looking finish. My cabinets however look like oak, lots of grain,
lots
of contrast and more on the red, orange side...

Any suggestions would be appriciated...

You'll have to use a dye instead of a pigment stain. Either wiped on,
or sprayed on (my preference for maximum grain minimization). I add
yellow and amber dye to fruitwood dye to get than yellowish color you
probably are describing. I shoot the dye with a .026 " tip in my HVLP.

Dave
Old April 3rd 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"David" wrote in message
scottsignmart wrote:
I have added cabinets to our kitchen using red oak, the exsiting
cabinets
also made from red oak appear to have been finished
"natural" but have a slightly yellow look, and there is not much contrast
of the grain...
very good looking finish. My cabinets however look like oak, lots of
grain,
lots
of contrast and more on the red, orange side... Any suggestions would be
appriciated...

You'll have to use a dye instead of a pigment stain. Either wiped on, or
sprayed on (my preference for maximum grain minimization). I add yellow
and amber dye to fruitwood dye to get than yellowish color you probably
are describing. I shoot the dye with a .026 " tip in my HVLP.

Disagree the dye, prefer pigment for more consistent and predictable
results. The chemicals which color your oak differently will also react
differently to chemical dying. Laying tiny pieces of pigmented stuff on the
surface will increase the amount of yellow returning to your eye,
guaranteed.

Your old cabinets have been bleached by their environment, I would assume,
and are lighter as a consequence.

Old April 3rd 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"David" wrote in message
scottsignmart wrote:
[...]

and are lighter as a consequence.[/quote

Thanks for your input George,
can suggest a type/brand/color of pigment you're talking...
never tried this before...

Thanks again.

Old April 3rd 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Patriarch wrote:

I read what the other fellows said, and don't necessarily agree.

Red oak turns 'golden' when oiled, or shellaced or varnished. I don't know
the exact chemical or physical reasons, but there is a marked change.

Take some of your scrap, and try out a few of the uncolored finishes on
your shelf on various pieces, and see if you don't get close to what's on
your cabinets.

I'll make that two!

My entire house is red oak flooring, trim, and doors, installed and
finished by me. It's a warm, rich, very gold color.

All of my flooring is simply (3) coats of McCloskey Gym Seal clear
oil-based varnish. Most oil varnishes and varnish blends, including
Waterlox Original, would give the same effect.

A light rub down, NOT a soaking, with boiled linseed oil (from any
hardware or paint store) would add also add a golden color under other
finishes.

Commercially made Red Oak cabinetry is very commonly rubbed with BLO,
sealed with a sanding sealer and sprayed with lacquer.

I doubt stain is necessary.

Barry
Old April 3rd 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"scottsignmart" wrote in message
m...
can suggest a type/brand/color of pigment you're talking...
never tried this before...

An oil stain is pigment suspended in the oil vehicle. Any brand at the
local Borg with a swatch that looks close is the one to try. Easiest to
find is probably Minwax stain - golden oak. Commercial cabinets were
probably stained to equalize anyway.

As Paul R used to say, experiment on scrap rather than your project.

Old April 4th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I recently purchased a solid oak bedroom set from the Amish in north
east Ohio. The oak set come with a finish called S2. You have the
option of light oak, S2 finish or dark oak color. I wonder if anyone
knows what they would use in a stain to come up with the S2 color or
finish?

Old April 4th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.woodworking

George wrote:

An oil stain is pigment suspended in the oil vehicle. Any brand at the
local Borg with a swatch that looks close is the one to try. Easiest to
find is probably Minwax stain - golden oak.

Minwax Golden Oak is a dye stain, containing no pigment.

Apollo 30/50B new top socket - pilot gone yellow? Lee Derbyshire UK diy 0 March 31st 05 10:34 AM
Stain Matching: A Better Way? (Long) Mr Fixit eh Woodworking 12 March 18th 05 03:36 AM
acid stain concrete WHoME? Home Repair 8 August 5th 04 04:05 AM
stain or knot? David Woodworking 3 August 4th 04 04:41 AM
How to stain Anderon doors? rich brenz Woodworking 1 September 2nd 03 02:46 AM