Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Odd objects to spread glue with

Not having a credit card handy (meaning: I'd have to walk from where the
thought struck me, approximately 30 feet into the house), I spotted a
wall outlet cover in a misc hardware drawer that looked like a likely
candidate for spreading glue on some 4" boards. Poured on the TBII and
took a swipe with the cover across the board. Wow! Nice even coverage.
gotta love the curved edge of those covers. Try it some time--it's
not as weird as it sounds.

What "odd" thing have you spread glue with, that worked well?

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:07:34 -0800, David wrote:

Not having a credit card handy (meaning: I'd have to walk from where the
thought struck me, approximately 30 feet into the house), I spotted a
wall outlet cover in a misc hardware drawer that looked like a likely
candidate for spreading glue on some 4" boards. Poured on the TBII and
took a swipe with the cover across the board. Wow! Nice even coverage.
gotta love the curved edge of those covers. Try it some time--it's
not as weird as it sounds.

What "odd" thing have you spread glue with, that worked well?

Dave

I'll use my finger to spread glue provided I have a tub of water handy
to clean up. The last time I used a thin 2x4" square of cherry, just
because it was handy. I have a glue roller (the kind that fit on top
of a glue bottle) but don't always use it. I like credit cards for
spreading glue, nice and flexible.
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"David" wrote in message

What "odd" thing have you spread glue with, that worked well?

The drill size template from the Handyman Club works well.

But with a college student, I get a lot of those mock credit cards to use,
too.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

- Hacksaw blades work pretty well. Different TPI and new vs. old will
leave a different thickness of glue.
- Serrated edge thing from a Saran Wrap or aluminum foil box.
- Gift cards from Barns&Noble. They are nice and stiff just like a credit
card and they give them away by the dozens, just don't load them with any $.
- Popsicle sticks.
- Q-tips.
- Pipe cleaners.

Art

"David" wrote in message
Not having a credit card handy (meaning: I'd have to walk from where the
thought struck me, approximately 30 feet into the house), I spotted a
wall outlet cover in a misc hardware drawer that looked like a likely
candidate for spreading glue on some 4" boards. Poured on the TBII and
took a swipe with the cover across the board. Wow! Nice even coverage.
gotta love the curved edge of those covers. Try it some time--it's
not as weird as it sounds.

What "odd" thing have you spread glue with, that worked well?

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

David wrote:
Not having a credit card handy (meaning: I'd have to walk from where the
thought struck me, approximately 30 feet into the house), I spotted a
wall outlet cover in a misc hardware drawer that looked like a likely
candidate for spreading glue on some 4" boards. Poured on the TBII and
took a swipe with the cover across the board. Wow! Nice even coverage.
gotta love the curved edge of those covers. Try it some time--it's
not as weird as it sounds.

What "odd" thing have you spread glue with, that worked well?

Well, I don't know if it's odd, but I use an autobody filler spreader.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

I keep a deck of playing cards handy, they are slick and the glue
doesn't stick to them.

--

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

Take a look at my mess and work.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:07:34 -0800, David wrote:

What "odd" thing have you spread glue with, that worked well?

All kinds of stuff from the edge of pencils to random scraps of wood
that happened to be close, to a scraper that I accidentally grabbed
once, thinking it was a credit card. Luckily, the glue wipes off.

Probably the weirdest thing I ever used was an old AOL CD when I was
trying to spread glue into an odd curve and I found that by turning
the CD a bit, it filled the cove quite well.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Truitt

I noticed one of the DIY network dames spreading glue with a wood
chisel. I thought that was pretty odd...

Being an old house framer and remodeler I am just now discovering glue.
Works pretty good! That tells you I am a bit behind in the fine
woodwork department.

But I am really enjoying learning.

Ron T