Posted to rec.woodworking
bob kater

Default painting with latex

I recently built two cabinets and bookshelves for my den as built in units.
I (the wife) wants me to paint them rather then stain etc. I do not have a
spray unit but want to get by without brush strokes. Can a foam roller be
used and shud I thin the paint first. I am using a satin finish. The doors
are the biggest problem. Stains and clear coats have worked great without an
issue but this seems to be an entirely different animal.
thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

bob kater wrote:
I recently built two cabinets and bookshelves for my den as built in units.
I (the wife) wants me to paint them rather then stain etc. I do not have a
spray unit but want to get by without brush strokes. Can a foam roller be
used and shud I thin the paint first. I am using a satin finish. The doors
are the biggest problem. Stains and clear coats have worked great without an
issue but this seems to be an entirely different animal.
thanks

Add Floetrol to the latex. follow the directions on the bottle, Bob.

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

David wrote:
bob kater wrote:
I recently built two cabinets and bookshelves for my den as built in
units. I (the wife) wants me to paint them rather then stain etc. I do
not have a spray unit but want to get by without brush strokes. Can a
foam roller be used and shud I thin the paint first. I am using a
satin finish. The doors are the biggest problem. Stains and clear
coats have worked great without an issue but this seems to be an
entirely different animal.
thanks

Add Floetrol to the latex. follow the directions on the bottle, Bob.

dave

What Dave said.

Also, Jeff Jewitt did an excellent article about painting furniture in a
recent "Wood Magazine" issue. The same issued had a pine pie safe on
the cover.

You can buy a reprint of the "Wood" article he
http://woodstore.woodmall.com/paseofpro.html

FWW also did an excellent article on painting last year.

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"bob kater" wrote in message
m...
thanks I'll give it a try

Consider also using a flat pad brush instead of a roller brush. It leaves a
spray painted look finish with "latex". The foam closed cell rollers are
good on oil based paints.