Posted to rec.woodworking

Default repairing/restoring rotted plywood

I have a truck camper that is over 30 years old. Some of the plywood
in this camper is weather checked and/or rotted. It's 3/4 inch
plywood, and I don't know if it's "treated" or not.

The wood is dry.

The rotted areas are exposed to the sun sometimes.

I am soon going to sand the surface of this plywood.

What product or products would work for me to brush on this wood? I
want to stop further deterioration, and also give some strength to the
rotted areas. I'm not too concerned with the cosmetics of this plywood
after this operation, but _AM_ concerned about giving or restoring
some structural strength to it.

Replacing the plywood is NOT an option.

Thank you....... Lee Carkenord

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a truck camper that is over 30 years old. Some of the plywood
in this camper is weather checked and/or rotted. It's 3/4 inch
plywood, and I don't know if it's "treated" or not.

The wood is dry.

The rotted areas are exposed to the sun sometimes.

I am soon going to sand the surface of this plywood.

What product or products would work for me to brush on this wood? I
want to stop further deterioration, and also give some strength to the
rotted areas. I'm not too concerned with the cosmetics of this plywood
after this operation, but _AM_ concerned about giving or restoring
some structural strength to it.

Replacing the plywood is NOT an option.

Thank you....... Lee Carkenord

Why is replacing the plywood NOT an option? That's really your best route.
You could apply a coat of fiberglass over the bad areas, making sure to
reach out on to good wood. Apply it per the directions and paint when done.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
wrote:

Replacing the plywood is NOT an option.

Then, with respect, you're pooched.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

wrote:

I have a truck camper that is over 30 years old. Some of the plywood
in this camper is weather checked and/or rotted. It's 3/4 inch
plywood, and I don't know if it's "treated" or not.

The wood is dry.

The rotted areas are exposed to the sun sometimes.

I am soon going to sand the surface of this plywood.

What product or products would work for me to brush on this wood? I
want to stop further deterioration, and also give some strength to the
rotted areas. I'm not too concerned with the cosmetics of this plywood
after this operation, but _AM_ concerned about giving or restoring
some structural strength to it.

Replacing the plywood is NOT an option.

Then you have no option.

Once dry rot has set in, the only option is replacement.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
news
wrote:

I have a truck camper that is over 30 years old. Some of the plywood
in this camper is weather checked and/or rotted. It's 3/4 inch
plywood, and I don't know if it's "treated" or not.

The wood is dry.

The rotted areas are exposed to the sun sometimes.

I am soon going to sand the surface of this plywood.

What product or products would work for me to brush on this wood? I
want to stop further deterioration, and also give some strength to the
rotted areas. I'm not too concerned with the cosmetics of this plywood
after this operation, but _AM_ concerned about giving or restoring
some structural strength to it.

Replacing the plywood is NOT an option.

Then you have no option.

Once dry rot has set in, the only option is replacement.

Well, if he glasses over the affected area he can achieve a repair of sorts.
Not as good a plan as replacing the wood by any means, but a decent glass
job will effectively seal the wood against air and moisture - to the point
that the wood is only subject to its normal rate of absorption in the
surrounding areas. The glass will span an area with suitable structural
strength, but that span is obviously dependent upon a couple of factors.
The OP never mentioned the size of the affected area so it's hard to suggest
just how well a glass repair would really work.

I know that if it were me, I'd replace the wood. It's going to be less work
in the end than doing a proper glass job. For some reason he feels
replacing the wood is out of the question. Not sure I understand that.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Mike Marlow wrote:

Well, if he glasses over the affected area he can achieve a repair of

sorts.

Not really.

You have no chance at all with polyester, woven roving and mat.

You might get some benefit using epoxy and double bias knitted glass but
not much.

Either of the above is moot if the cost of replacement 3/4" ply is a
problem.

Either of the above will cost 2-5 times the cost of ply.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

wrote:
I have a truck camper that is over 30 years old. Some of the plywood
in this camper is weather checked and/or rotted. It's 3/4 inch
plywood, and I don't know if it's "treated" or not.

The wood is dry.

The rotted areas are exposed to the sun sometimes.

I am soon going to sand the surface of this plywood.

What product or products would work for me to brush on this wood? I
want to stop further deterioration, and also give some strength to the
rotted areas.

Gluvit or similar. Not cheap and (like all epoxies) needs to be painted
to protect it from UV light.
http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20P...t/Gluvit%20faq.
htm
________________

I'm not too concerned with the cosmetics of this
plywood after this operation, but _AM_ concerned about giving or
restoring some structural strength to it.

How much strength you could get with just Gluvit depends on a lot of
vartiables...mostly, how big the area is, if it is rotted through and
what kind of structural strength you want. If you are talking about
smallish areas and just want to plug them up, Bondo.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article . com,
RicodJour wrote:

wrote:
I have a truck camper that is over 30 years old. Some of the plywood
in this camper is weather checked and/or rotted. It's 3/4 inch
plywood, and I don't know if it's "treated" or not.

The wood is dry.

The rotted areas are exposed to the sun sometimes.

I am soon going to sand the surface of this plywood.

What product or products would work for me to brush on this wood? I
want to stop further deterioration, and also give some strength to the
rotted areas. I'm not too concerned with the cosmetics of this plywood
after this operation, but _AM_ concerned about giving or restoring
some structural strength to it.

Replacing the plywood is NOT an option.

Oh, you're looking for Miracle Wood Repair. When you find some let me
know - I've been looking for it forever.

The formula:
2 parts Miracle Whip
1 part catalytic hardener

snicker

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

The formula:
2 parts Miracle Whip
1 part catalytic hardener

Yeahbut, how big are the parts?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:33:35 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

The formula:
2 parts Miracle Whip
1 part catalytic hardener

Yeahbut, how big are the parts?

Ones about 'so big' and the other is about half 'so big'. Use 4 of the
half 'so big' parts to one of the 'so big' parts and you're all set.

Sheesh ... don't they teach anything in school anymore?

;-)

Bill