Grass or Blum Replacment Hinge

Old February 28th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Grass or Blum Replacment Hinge

I need to replace several hinges in our cabinets. The only identifying
information on the existing hinges is:

GRASS 1000
Pat. Pend.
made in Austria

There are about 1 zillion options for Grass hinges out there but I
can't find anything when I search for GRASS 1000. This is an old hinge
(the cabinetry is more than 20 years old) and I have no idea which
"modern" hinge is comparable to this mystery model. I've also
determined that Blum and Grass are interchangeable - I don't care which
company manufactures the updated version of the old hinge - I just need
to know what to look for. I tried contacting Grass directly - no
response so far.

Old February 28th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking

With the relevant information you SHOULD be able to find a match.

1) Determine whether your cabinets are constructed with or without
faceframes.

2) Determine if your doors are full overlay, half-overlay, or inset.
Full overlay are probably the most common; the door is larger than the
opening and sits entirely outside of the faceframe. For inset, the
door is just barely smaller than the opening and is recessed within the
faceframe, such that the front of the door is flush with the face
frame. For half-overlay, the door is rabbetted and partially recessed,
such that it protrudes about 3/8" from the faceframe.

3) For full overlay doors, determine your overlay distance. This is
the extra width of the door beyond the edge of the opening (on the side
with the hinges). Typical overlays range from 1/4" to 1 1/2", with
1/2" or 5/8" probably the most common.

4) Assuming that these are concealed cup hinges that fit into 35mm
holes bored in the doors, determine the distance from the edge of the
hole to the edge of the door. Typical values here aresomething like
2-5 mm.

With those pieces of information, you should be able to find a
replacement hinge that matches. There may be some additional options
to consider, such as how far they open (100-110 degrees is pretty
common), whether the hinge attaches to the faceframe or the carcase,
and how much adjustablility you want, but those details should be
fairly straightforward.

If you have a local Rockler nearby, they have a really good selection
of hinges, and you should be able to find a pretty good match there at
the store. If it's a common size, the Borg may have a replacement from
Liberty Hardware or the like. Otherwise, you may need to do some
online searching studying pictures and the specs listed above to
determine the right one.

Good luck.

Josh

Old March 1st 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Excellent advice, Josh. Thanks!