Posted to rec.woodworking
John Moorhead

Default Planer Problems

Folks -

I'm teaching WS at a local high school - the prior teacher left in a huff,
and apparently, in a hurry.... The planer, a 20" SAC (an Italian make) was
broken due to a broken outfeed roller drive chain. The planer is about 5-10
years old, near as I can tell. Santa Rosa Tool, the firm that sold the
school district the planer, says they can't get parts or a service manual
for it, which is REALLY annoying.... Anyway, I finally found some chain
that would work, obsolete metric size... rrrr.... and yes I bought extra...
I installed the chain and fired the machine up for a test and everything
seemed okay.

I fed a length of scrap through the machine and it will draw it in just
fine, but, as before, the work stops half way in and doesn't get pulled out
by the outfeed side rollers. Everything is turning, but I can't see why it
wouldn't get pulled out of the machine with the roller spinning.

If any of you have any ideas, I'd sure love to hear them. It's been a real
PITA not having a planer for the last several months and I am getting tired
of teaching kids how to build birdhouses out of cedar shingles. HALP!

TIA

John Moorhead

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob AZ

John

Just a shot in the dark but did any alignments get disturbed in the
chain replacement process. Or was it working properly when the chain
failed?
Remove the blades and the retaing screws and then run the planer to see
if it draws the board through. That way you can check the draw in
rollers and the draw out rollers.
Bib AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

John Moorhead (in )
said:

| I fed a length of scrap through the machine and it will draw it in
| just fine, but, as before, the work stops half way in and doesn't
| get pulled out by the outfeed side rollers. Everything is turning,
| but I can't see why it wouldn't get pulled out of the machine with
| the roller spinning.
|
| If any of you have any ideas, I'd sure love to hear them. It's
| been a real PITA not having a planer for the last several months
| and I am getting tired of teaching kids how to build birdhouses out
| of cedar shingles. HALP!

John...

Isn't there a pressure adjustment for the outfeed rollers? It sounds
like you might need a bit more "pinch".

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

John Moorhead wrote:

[...]

ask these guys: http://calwoodmach.com/newMach2/SacPlaner3.html

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Is the board getting past the chip breaker and cutter head? If not, perhaps
the chip breaker needs to be readjusted.
Also the infeed and or outfeed rollers may need to be have more pressure
applied.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Preston Andreas

You need to tune up your planer - height adjustments, roller adjustments,
chipbreaker, etc. You will need a dial indicator and you can make a couple
of homemade bases for specific measuring of the bed rollers and the overhead
feed rollers and cutterhead.

You might check out http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070127.asp
or http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070551.asp

If you need any further information email me direct.

Preston

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme

John Moorhead wrote:
[...]

Hi. I had a similar problem on an old Sears planer. I wiped the rollers
with denatured alcohol to get the schmutz off (technical term!). Had to
do it a couple of times, but feeds well now.

Just a thought.

Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking
marc rosen

Hello John,
I did a search on the website
http://www.exfactory.com/ and there are several SAC planers lited.
Maybe one of the owners could provide a copy of their manual to help
you out.

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking
mark

I have this same problem with my new dewalt 735 and pine.
I cleaned the rollers with solvent and it works for a while put then the
rollers gum up again. I found a better solution in a woodworking magazine. I
cleaned the table with solvent and then rubbed in paste wax. It now feeds
very good. I was alweays blaming the rollers and never thought of the table.
oups.com...