Jigsaw & straight cutting in melamine

Old February 20th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jigsaw & straight cutting in melamine

I am trying to cut some toekicks out of 5/8" melamine with a jigsaw. I tried
the cutting guide that came with it and I keep the guide tight and saw foot
nice and flat but the cut will not follow my straight line made with a speed
square. I also tried clamping the speed square to the work and using it as a
guide for the saw without the guide, keeping the saw's foot tight to the
square and still the blade wanders off course. It is a brand new craftman
top of the line and new bosch blades meant for "fine cutting in wood,
plywood and plastics". Thanks for any tips.

Old February 20th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I would guess that since the melamine is particle board, the blade is
steering around the chunks making it wander. Jigsaw blades can wander
sometimes anyway even in good materials. My advice is to switch to a
circular saw, it will cut straight and you at least have some chance of
minimizing chipout.

brian

Old February 20th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"mark" wrote in message

square and still the blade wanders off course. It is a brand new craftman
top of the line and new bosch blades meant for "fine cutting in wood,
plywood and plastics". Thanks for any tips.

Beg or borrow a good jigsaw, like a Bosch 1587 or equivalent, and see if it
makes a difference.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Old February 20th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"mark" wrote:

I am trying to cut some toekicks out of 5/8" melamine with a jigsaw. I tried
the cutting guide that came with it and I keep the guide tight and saw foot
nice and flat but the cut will not follow my straight line made with a speed
square. I also tried clamping the speed square to the work and using it as a
guide for the saw without the guide, keeping the saw's foot tight to the
square and still the blade wanders off course. It is a brand new craftman
top of the line and new bosch blades meant for "fine cutting in wood,
plywood and plastics". Thanks for any tips.

Slow down on the feed-rate.
Old February 20th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Either buy a handsaw or a Bosch jig saw. Both will do the
job but the Bosch is a wee bit easier. A toe kick is a
pretty short cut, so a decent handsaw will work just fine.

Old February 20th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I tried the cutting guide that came with it and I keep the guide tight and saw foot nice and flat but the cut will not follow my straight line made with a speed square.

I've had the same problem with my Bosch 1590. It makes a wonderfully
fast, smooth, and square cut, but I can't cut a straight line by
holding it against a straightedge or using the guide. I have better
luck following the line freehand, but that leaves very tiny little
waves as I adjust to keep it straight. Maybe I'm doing something
wrong, or I wonder if jigsaws have drift the same way bandsaws do. On
the other hand, I've used a couple types of straightedge cutting guides
with my almost-antique Skil circular saw with Freud blade, and those
have worked very well for cutting a straight line.
Sorry I don't have advice for how to fix your jigsaw problem - but
you're not alone.
Andy

Old February 20th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"mark" wrote in message
I am trying to cut some toekicks out of 5/8" melamine with a jigsaw. I
tried
the cutting guide that came with it and I keep the guide tight and saw
foot
nice and flat but the cut will not follow my straight line made with a
speed
square. I also tried clamping the speed square to the work and using it as
guide for the saw without the guide, keeping the saw's foot tight to the
square and still the blade wanders off course. It is a brand new craftman
top of the line and new bosch blades meant for "fine cutting in wood,
plywood and plastics". Thanks for any tips.

Mark, if you go w/ a Bosch jigsaw, do yourself a favor and get the
Progressor
blades. They make all the difference in how a Bosch jigsaw handles
"problem"
materials.

Jeff

Old February 20th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I looked at the bosch but could not see any advantage over the craftsman.
The craftsman is convertable to barrel grip, has a LED work light, laser,
blower and vacuum, tooless blade change, cast foot and about $100.00 less
than the bosch. Don't get me wrong, I gave a bosch recip. saw and 1617
router and like them both.
http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158484915

Old February 21st 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Ignore the toolsnobs that tell you your Craftsman is crap. Craftsman still
puts out good quality tools in their top line stuff. I have used jigsaws
that would follow a guide well and others that don't. Brand wasn't the
issue. Yours may well be one that doesn't. I've seen Bosches that wouldn't
either. Surprisingly, I have a $40.00 Black and Decker that does this very
well. Freehand the cut and clean up with a file or use a handsaw as someone
suggested.

Old February 21st 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "mark" wrote:
I looked at the bosch but could not see any advantage over the craftsman.

You can't see the advantage just by looking. You have to actually *use* it to
tell the difference -- which is that the Bosch cuts straight, and the
Craftsman (as you have discovered) does not.

The craftsman is convertable to barrel grip, has a LED work light, laser,
blower and vacuum, tooless blade change, cast foot and about $100.00 less
than the bosch.

Yep -- and there's a reason for that cost difference (see above).

--
Regards,