Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee

Default flame birch

What is it .I know what birch is but flamed ? Next questions are where do I
get it, cost, does someone sell it rough cut, and what so special about it?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fingersintact

Hi Lee,

I get mine in Ashland, NH http://www.sharpslumber.com/

Steve is a great guy and has great prices. He is one of the few figured
lumber dealers that actually scale the knots and cracks OUT of the cost
of board for you. He gets it in whenever he can and typically charges
$6.00 - $7.00/bf depending on the figure. He usually has just the 4/4.
I am always looking for 8/4 but its hard to come by. The last time he
got it in I bought the whole log....its really beautiful wood. I am
going to save it until I come up with the perfect project for it. I
picked up 20/bf yesterday and he still had another 50/bf or so left.
Here are some examples of Flame Birch.......some of them really
extreme!

http://www.1stdibs.com/item.php?id=79494
http://www.leonardsdirect.com/antiqu...ils/itemid/989
http://www.furnituremakers.com/40Que...FlameBirch.htm
http://www.lackley.com/shopping_onli...irch_chest.htm
http://www.phyllisfriedman.com/furni...pages/70-7.htm

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bjarte Runderheim

Default flame birch (rather long)

"Lee" skrev i melding
What is it .I know what birch is but flamed ? Next questions are where do
I get it, cost, does someone sell it rough cut, and what so special about
it?

Can't tell you where to get it, but it grows pretty much everrywhere
in temperate climate.

Generally there are two kinds of birch that grows really tall:
Silver birch or white birch, the tall, bautiful white birches,
swung by people like Robert Frost.

Sadly, they are nothing like bautiful in woodworking, toneless
and insignificantly patterned, and often giving a grey tone, no matter
what kind of finish you choose.

Then there is this other birch, that grows more squat and thick, altough it
also grows as tall, or taler than the white or silver species. Its main to
characteristica (for the amateur) are the foot of the stem (which has black
surface, more like a pine, on its lower quarter of height) and its twigs
that are hanging down, and I mean straight down, the outer half yard or so.
Also its branches are much sturdier and thicker than those of white or
silver.

Now, it needs a certain height and thickness to develop the flame structure.
It usually comes after the tree is full grown, and it seems to be the sheer
weight of the top that presses and crushes the wood in the foot of the
trunk, giving the waves and firelike pattern to the wood as it continues
to grow in width.

Sadly this is also the time when this tree is beginning to develoop
a bad core, due to age, and it starts with darkening the colour
of the center of the trunk, just before it start to rot.

So, real flame birch is a little hard to come by. My neighbor cut down
some really big ones this fall, and I managed to buy off him two
rootpieces, each about 10' long and 2' to 3' in diameter.
I am really looking forward to spring, whet I get to start turning
some bowls from that wood!

PS. The picture in Wikipedia of Silver Birch is not silver birch,
but this other kind. I suspect that the naming practice for
the different species of birch is rather subject to local practices
rather than botanical precision.

Silver or white birch is white or mainly white all the way down to the root.

Bjarte

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message

"Lee" skrev i melding
[...]

We have "yellow" birch here in the US, which is prone to grain reversals
which produce the flame figure if cut properly. Sadly, I don't have any
pictures on this drive of the unspalted stuff, but you can see the curl
through the spalt in this log which was rolled for two years on the deck to
get even spalting.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...urlyYellow.jpg
It is as common a figure as its counterpart, curly maple in this area, and
runs virtually through and through. If you flat saw rather than quarter, as
here, it's more pronounced.

A look at the bark shows the thin yellow peeling surface characteristic to
the species.

Flame Birch Fingersintact Woodworking 3 February 21st 06 12:57 PM
Furnace flame sensor and possible fuel problem Bill Home Repair 13 February 22nd 05 12:24 AM
Dealing with flame birch tear out David Ford Woodworking 1 February 7th 05 11:44 AM
shades of birch lumber Leonard Lopez Woodworking 5 January 27th 05 12:32 PM