Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

Old February 14th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Murphy Bed - Sliding Wall

Had a client today that wants to put a Murphy Bed in her spare room.
He wants shelves on both sides w/ 2 Sliding Shelves that hide the bed when
its up.
Just like this :
http://www.murphybedsdirect.com/library.htm

Im curious on how the center Shelves slide open. Anyone have any
suggestions?
I have to figure each shelf would weigh about 100-150 when loaded. Also it
looks like it hangs from the top but not 100% sure.

Like I said - Im open to suggestions on some ideas on how to implement it.

Thanks
-Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
(remove the _ to get the address)

Old February 15th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Rob V" wrote in message news:nJsIf.11432
Had a client today that wants to put a Murphy Bed in her spare room.
He wants shelves on both sides w/ 2 Sliding Shelves that hide the bed when
its up.
Just like this :
http://www.murphybedsdirect.com/library.htm

Im curious on how the center Shelves slide open. Anyone have any
suggestions?

They look like hanging shelves to me. I'd probably try to get your client to
go with the hardware of one of the more traditional Murhpy beds.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,40842,41271

Old February 15th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I saw the HGTV show that the web page refers to and as I recall the
center shelves glided on tracks on the floor and at the top. I think if
I were doing it I would have the center shelves have doors. That way
when they glide over they would neatly cover up the side shelves and
give a more finished appearance.

SWMBO really liked the show so I may be trying it one of these days.

Ron T

Old February 15th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
I wouldn't care to have anything that heavy hanging. Besides, it's
be hard to hide the mechanism I'd think. I'd say it rolls on wheels.
I'd say use skateboard wheels. Of course, after time, you're gonna get
wheel marks on the floor, but that's easily taken care of - use a little
throw rug to hide 'em. Or, you could have the center split, so it opens
like a double door. That'd take eaither some pretty hefty hinges, or
use wheels again. Or, liskke Usacle says, usethe regular Murphy bed
furniture - could it still be called a Murphy bed if you didn't?

I'm puzzled... wouldn't the unit on the referenced web page use
regular murphy bed hardware, attached to the shelving unit?

Yes I think it does, the sliding shelves are simply an extra mechanism over
and above the Murphy bed hardware. However, for the purpose of replying to
the OP's potential customer, I'd guess the sliding shelf setup as referenced
is not as viable or as desirable as one would first think by looking at the
pictures. It *does* look like a pretty setup though.

Old February 15th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Yes I think it does, the sliding shelves are simply an extra mechanism
over
and above the Murphy bed hardware. However, for the purpose of replying
the OP's potential customer, I'd guess the sliding shelf setup as
referenced
is not as viable or as desirable as one would first think by looking at
the
pictures. It *does* look like a pretty setup though.

No - the sliding shelves is what she wants - but looking at the pic, they
seem to hang down - not ride on the floor.
Im curious on the hanging/sliding mechanism.

Basically the 2 center units open (slide left and right) to reveal the bed
which then folds down.

Old February 15th 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Rob V" wrote in message

No - the sliding shelves is what she wants - but looking at the pic, they
seem to hang down - not ride on the floor.
Im curious on the hanging/sliding mechanism.

They are hanging down, just like curtains. It was JT that suggested the use
of skateboard wheels. It's the hanging down part that would make me anxious.
Those shelves, even without much additional stuff put on them like books or
curios, would weigh quite a bit. You'd need some pretty heavy duty slides in
my opinion. I guess all you can do at this point is to contact the person
running the referenced web page ask question about sourcing them out.

Old February 15th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Rob V wrote:
Had a client today that wants to put a Murphy Bed in her spare room.
He wants shelves on both sides w/ 2 Sliding Shelves that hide the bed when
its up.
Just like this :
http://www.murphybedsdirect.com/library.htm

Im curious on how the center Shelves slide open. Anyone have any
suggestions?
I have to figure each shelf would weigh about 100-150 when loaded. Also it
looks like it hangs from the top but not 100% sure.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/remodeling/...395016,00.html

This is the episode where they install that exact unit. There are pairs of
aluminum I-track at the top; iit sounded like there was just a single track on
the bottom. It is definitely supported high and low.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old February 15th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Excellent - exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
m...
Rob V wrote:
[...]

Cinder Block Retaining Wall Question [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 15th 05 06:12 PM
insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 08:33 PM
Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 06:22 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM