Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

Default air compressors

I'm thinking about picking up a largish air compressor for amazon while
they have the $150 off sale. I'm thinking about these porter cable
models:

CPLKC7080V2 which is 7hp:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

and

C7550 which says 7.5hp:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Other than the HP rating, I can't see a difference. I think the
CPLKC7080V2 might be an older version. It's not listed on the porter
cable website. Does anyone have either of these?

Also any opinions of the maxus compressors on amazon? I've never heard
of them. But maybe they're made in the same chinese factories as the
PCs?

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"brianlanning" wrote in message

Other than the HP rating, I can't see a difference. I think the
CPLKC7080V2 might be an older version. It's not listed on the porter
cable website. Does anyone have either of these?

Also any opinions of the maxus compressors on amazon? I've never heard
of them. But maybe they're made in the same chinese factories as the
PCs?

I see aluminum on the pump. Personally I would go for an Ingersoll-Rand, a
very well respected brand that has been in the business for years.

For about $10 more you can get the IR shipped for free with equal to better
specs performance and cast iron cylinders and a smaller motor and slightly
smaller tank. That said it is rated for continuous duty, IIRC the PC does
not mention that.

Look Here.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...720&R=21 1720

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

BTY the later of the 2 PC's that you are asking has cast iron cylinders. I
would go that on over the one with aluminum cylinders if only considering PC
compressors.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm thinking about picking up a largish air compressor for amazon while
they have the $150 off sale. I'm thinking about these porter cable
models:

CPLKC7080V2 which is 7hp:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

and

C7550 which says 7.5hp:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Other than the HP rating, I can't see a difference. I think the
CPLKC7080V2 might be an older version. It's not listed on the porter
cable website. Does anyone have either of these?

Also any opinions of the maxus compressors on amazon? I've never heard
of them. But maybe they're made in the same chinese factories as the
PCs?

brian

The C7550 is a great compressor. Although, for home/hobby use, either will
work fine for many years.
The 7HP version uses a very common compressor, all aluminum cylinders and a
cheap air filter system. The C7550, uses cast iron and has a real air
filter. This is important in a dusty environment.
We use that same pump on several back-up compressors and they last for
years, even with commercial use.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

I read somewhere that they are aluminum (for improved cooling they say)
but cast iron cylinder sleeves. I'm ok with that. Also, the manual
for the c7550 says this:

This air compressor pump is capable
of running continuously. However, to
prolong the life of your air
compressor, it is recommended that a
50%-75% average duty cycle be
maintained; that is, the air compressor
pump should not run more than 30-45
minutes in any given hour.

That's probably ok for me. I'd want continuous duty for spraying from
time to time, but would never do that every day. And I'm sure I would
empty the gun and need to refill before the 30 minutes is up. I can't
imagine standing in one spot with an air sander for more than 30
minutes also.

I'd probably rather have the IR also. But I'm trying to strike a
balance between cost and performance. This is probably already much
more compressor than I need. My main uses are going to be hvlp and
automotive work. I might get into metalwork and stone sculpting some
time in the future. I'm also trying to take advantage of the $150 off
sale at amazon.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

Thanks, this is just the kind of info I was after.

Do you bolt them to the floor? I had originally planned to put this on
the same mobile base I make for everything else (for the inevitable
move or if I want to rearrange things temporarily). My mobile base is
either 2x4s or 4x4s half-lapped into an X pattern so that they pass
under the four feet of the machine, then lagscrewed to the machine.
The length of the 2x4s depends on the top-heavyness of the machine.
And I usually over-do the casters so that they have big wheels. The
manual says to use expansion bolts in concrete though in order to avoid
vibration. Seems a bit excessive to me.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
Searcher

I have an Ingersol Rand. I have had it for just about a year now, The
warranty that comes with it is superb! I did have a problem with the
selenoid, I called them and they had the part to me within 24 hours. I do
not have it bolted to the floor, but I have isolators between the compressor
and the floor, just seems to help with vibrating . I can run this compressor
constantly without problems. My uncle has an IR compressor for about 15
years, still works great as far as I know NOW. He owns an auto body repair
shop so his compressor runs quite abit! I trust IR and the reputation they
have for great products.

searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, this is just the kind of info I was after.

Do you bolt them to the floor? I had originally planned to put this on
the same mobile base I make for everything else (for the inevitable
move or if I want to rearrange things temporarily). My mobile base is
either 2x4s or 4x4s half-lapped into an X pattern so that they pass
under the four feet of the machine, then lagscrewed to the machine.
The length of the 2x4s depends on the top-heavyness of the machine.
And I usually over-do the casters so that they have big wheels. The
manual says to use expansion bolts in concrete though in order to avoid
vibration. Seems a bit excessive to me.

brian

Yes. And No. In the dealership, they sit directly on 2x6 treated lumber, on
pins (redheads, but no nut on top). At home, the compressor is also sits on
sleepers with 4x4 square rubber pads (old tire), all bolted securely to the
pad.
Dave
Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm thinking about picking up a largish air compressor for amazon while
they have the $150 off sale. I'm thinking about these porter cable
models:

CPLKC7080V2 which is 7hp:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Good looking specs, but I have no familiarity with the compressor. SCFM
delivery rates are very nice - well more than you'll ever need by a long
shot. Ignore the suggested list price. No one sells compressors for the
suggested list.

and

C7550 which says 7.5hp:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Not enough information on this compressor to offer an opinion. I didn't
spend any time at all trying to find the model number with a google search
though.

Other than the HP rating, I can't see a difference. I think the
CPLKC7080V2 might be an older version. It's not listed on the porter
cable website. Does anyone have either of these?

Also any opinions of the maxus compressors on amazon? I've never heard
of them. But maybe they're made in the same chinese factories as the
PCs?

Maxus is a brand manufactured by Campbel Hausfeld and is an extremely good
compressor. Single stage, but it outputs like a two stage. Five year
warranty. It's manufactured right here in the US of A. All of CH's stuff
is... or at least they were. If they're made off shore now, it's a fairly
recent development. Which model Maxus are you looking at? Check the CH web
site for factory repaired compressors. You can often find very good deals
there, though the warranty might not be quite the same as a new one.

Watch out for names like Porter Cable on a compressor. The tools guys don't
manufacture a compressor and all they do is take a stock unit from one of
the three or four manufacturers out there, have it painted the way they
want, and sometimes throw in an extra like a pressure gauge, or a switch.
Look carefully at CH as they manufacture most of the private label
compressors. Look at DeVilbiss as well, though I can't remember if they got
bought out or not. Just be careful with names that have appeal because of
their tool legacy - like I say, they don't build the thing and 99% of the
time they don't even spec one. This is a market where you're talking
off-the-shelf stuff.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"brianlanning" wrote in message
ups.com...
I read somewhere that they are aluminum (for improved cooling they say)
but cast iron cylinder sleeves. I'm ok with that. Also, the manual
for the c7550 says this:

Cast iron is much better. Worth looking for.

This air compressor pump is capable
of running continuously. However, to
prolong the life of your air
compressor, it is recommended that a
50%-75% average duty cycle be
maintained; that is, the air compressor
pump should not run more than 30-45
minutes in any given hour.

You may never exceed this duty cycle and you'd be ok, but if you think you
might ever, on any off chance, perhaps one day be running a compressor hard,
get a continuous duty cycle unit.

That's probably ok for me. I'd want continuous duty for spraying from
time to time, but would never do that every day. And I'm sure I would
empty the gun and need to refill before the 30 minutes is up. I can't
imagine standing in one spot with an air sander for more than 30
minutes also.

Spraying won't require continuous duty cycle, but if you ever run a DA (air
powered orbital sander) you sure will.

I'd probably rather have the IR also. But I'm trying to strike a
balance between cost and performance. This is probably already much
more compressor than I need. My main uses are going to be hvlp and
automotive work. I might get into metalwork and stone sculpting some
time in the future. I'm also trying to take advantage of the $150 off
sale at amazon.

IR is great stuff, but there is other stuff out there that is very good and
costs less. You're right that it's probably more than you need now, but you
will put it to more and more use once you have it. If you're going to do
automotive work then get the big tank and go for 100% duty cycle. 15-18
SCFM also.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, this is just the kind of info I was after.

Do you bolt them to the floor? I had originally planned to put this on
the same mobile base I make for everything else (for the inevitable
move or if I want to rearrange things temporarily). My mobile base is
either 2x4s or 4x4s half-lapped into an X pattern so that they pass
under the four feet of the machine, then lagscrewed to the machine.
The length of the 2x4s depends on the top-heavyness of the machine.
And I usually over-do the casters so that they have big wheels. The
manual says to use expansion bolts in concrete though in order to avoid
vibration. Seems a bit excessive to me.

Not advisable to put compressors on wheels. Bolted down is usually the
recommendation and in some areas may even be required by some local code.
Consider this to be a fixture in your shop, not a mobile device.
--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Mike Marlow wrote:

Not advisable to put compressors on wheels.

Wouldn't that depend on the compressor (size & layout), as well as the
wheels?

I wouldn't put an 80 or 120 gallon upright on a skinny mobile base, but
large horizontal tanked units are put on wheels all the time.

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

Wouldn't that depend on the compressor (size & layout), as well as the
wheels?
I wouldn't put an 80 or 120 gallon upright on a skinny mobile base, but
large horizontal tanked units are put on wheels all the time.

I'll just put it on my usual mobile base, but put some 4x4 sleepers
under the base to get the wheels off the floor. I'll screw them to the
base and make them plenty big. I'm mainly worried about it tipping
over. It doesn't need to move around much, but I want to be able to
wheel it into a uhaul trailer fairly quickly.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"B a r r y" wrote in message
et...
Mike Marlow wrote:

Not advisable to put compressors on wheels.

Wouldn't that depend on the compressor (size & layout), as well as the
wheels?

I wouldn't put an 80 or 120 gallon upright on a skinny mobile base, but
large horizontal tanked units are put on wheels all the time.

Yup - but the OP had posted links to uprights - 80 gallon units.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Mike Marlow wrote:

Yup - but the OP had posted links to uprights - 80 gallon units.

I didn't see that, so I agree with you.

I wouldn't want to see that sucker fall over...

Running 2 x 3HP compressors ? Jim UK diy 16 January 30th 06 10:49 AM
Old Air Compressors - Are They Better? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 8 April 8th 05 01:06 AM
Harbor Freight air compressors... blueman Woodworking 5 December 14th 04 04:23 PM
Daisychaining air compressors SteveB Metalworking 6 March 2nd 04 08:19 AM
campbell hausfeld compressors quality Leon Woodworking 17 July 18th 03 02:08 PM