Posted to rec.woodworking
mark

Default Miracle pitch, gum, sawdust etc... remover

A while back I asked here what is best to use and someone mentioned easy off
oven cleaner which contains Sodium Hydroxide. I went to the grocery store
and bought pure sodium hydroxide (Lye) used for making homemade soap and
clearing drains. Put a few table spoons in a few cups of water and immersed
my blades and router bits. Almost instantly the solution turned amber due to
the pitch disolving . I swirled it around for a minute or so and then rinsed
everything. It completely cleaned everything off with no scrubbing and this
pitch was on very hard. I then dried everything and then coated with light
oil to prevent rust.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

That will work on stainless steel, but be wary about cleaning anything
made of aluminum. NaOH will eat aluminum and many other metals.

Josh

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "mark" wrote:
A while back I asked here what is best to use and someone mentioned easy off
oven cleaner which contains Sodium Hydroxide. I went to the grocery store
and bought pure sodium hydroxide (Lye) used for making homemade soap and
clearing drains. Put a few table spoons in a few cups of water and immersed
my blades and router bits. Almost instantly the solution turned amber due to
the pitch disolving . I swirled it around for a minute or so and then rinsed
everything. It completely cleaned everything off with no scrubbing and this
pitch was on very hard. I then dried everything and then coated with light
oil to prevent rust.

Washing soda works just as well, but is cheaper and *much* safer to use.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Josh wrote:
: That will work on stainless steel, but be wary about cleaning anything
: made of aluminum. NaOH will eat aluminum and many other metals.

And human flesh.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

I seems easy enough to clean for router bits regularly because they are
always coming in and out , but about TS blades, do you think either the oven
cleaner, pr the product you mention would be OK to apply while "chucked",
and/or how.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

No. NaOH definitely needs to be rinsed very well to remove it from the
blade. It's a strong base (opposite of an acid) and over time it may
wreak havoc on the blade, the table, the arbor, your skin, wires, the
wood you're cutting, or anything else in the vicinity. If you couldn't
rinse it off, you'd want to neutralize it with an acid, but that's not
something I recommend either. Acid-Base chemical reactions have a way
of blowing up in your face, literally. Plus, that would likely
precipitate a sodium compound all over your blade, which would have to
be rinsed off anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

Do you say either oven cleaner or the base produst is good, if rinsed, on
Titanium carbide router bits (gen. carbide may apply for others); and a
200-tooth steel plywood and carbide tipped combination TS blades?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

I can honestly say I've never tried, but based on other people's
recommendations of oven cleaner for this job, I'm pretty sure it must
be safe on carbide. You could try it on a cheap router bit first just
to make sure.

Wear gloves!

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Josh wrote:
That will work on stainless steel, but be wary about cleaning anything
made of aluminum. NaOH will eat aluminum and many other metals.

Will it also eat skin?

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Doug Miller said:

In article , "mark" wrote:
A while back I asked here what is best to use and someone mentioned easy off
oven cleaner which contains Sodium Hydroxide. I went to the grocery store
and bought pure sodium hydroxide (Lye) used for making homemade soap and
clearing drains. Put a few table spoons in a few cups of water and immersed
my blades and router bits. Almost instantly the solution turned amber due to
the pitch disolving . I swirled it around for a minute or so and then rinsed
everything. It completely cleaned everything off with no scrubbing and this
pitch was on very hard. I then dried everything and then coated with light
oil to prevent rust.

Washing soda works just as well, but is cheaper and *much* safer to use.

I use Simple Green myself.
It's a little slower, but works fine for my needs. It's fairly cheap.
Has a pleasant scent as well, as opposed to lye and oven cleaners.
Even removes sappy, burnt pine pitch from my blades fairly easily.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

I read something about heating up a frypan and baking soda. Is there a
another method? I'm not concerned about time, just convenience. But I am
worrired about just leaving metal soaking in anything if I'm not sure whats
going on. Is there a good soda method?