Miracle pitch, gum, sawdust etc... remover

Old February 7th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Miracle pitch, gum, sawdust etc... remover

A while back I asked here what is best to use and someone mentioned easy off
oven cleaner which contains Sodium Hydroxide. I went to the grocery store
and bought pure sodium hydroxide (Lye) used for making homemade soap and
clearing drains. Put a few table spoons in a few cups of water and immersed
my blades and router bits. Almost instantly the solution turned amber due to
the pitch disolving . I swirled it around for a minute or so and then rinsed
everything. It completely cleaned everything off with no scrubbing and this
pitch was on very hard. I then dried everything and then coated with light
oil to prevent rust.

Old February 7th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

That will work on stainless steel, but be wary about cleaning anything
made of aluminum. NaOH will eat aluminum and many other metals.

Josh

Old February 8th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "mark" wrote:
A while back I asked here what is best to use and someone mentioned easy off
oven cleaner which contains Sodium Hydroxide. I went to the grocery store
and bought pure sodium hydroxide (Lye) used for making homemade soap and
clearing drains. Put a few table spoons in a few cups of water and immersed
my blades and router bits. Almost instantly the solution turned amber due to
the pitch disolving . I swirled it around for a minute or so and then rinsed
everything. It completely cleaned everything off with no scrubbing and this
pitch was on very hard. I then dried everything and then coated with light
oil to prevent rust.

Washing soda works just as well, but is cheaper and *much* safer to use.

--
Regards,

Old February 8th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Josh wrote:
: That will work on stainless steel, but be wary about cleaning anything
: made of aluminum. NaOH will eat aluminum and many other metals.

And human flesh.

-- Andy Barss
Old February 8th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I seems easy enough to clean for router bits regularly because they are
always coming in and out , but about TS blades, do you think either the oven
cleaner, pr the product you mention would be OK to apply while "chucked",
and/or how.

Old February 8th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.woodworking

No. NaOH definitely needs to be rinsed very well to remove it from the
blade. It's a strong base (opposite of an acid) and over time it may
wreak havoc on the blade, the table, the arbor, your skin, wires, the
wood you're cutting, or anything else in the vicinity. If you couldn't
rinse it off, you'd want to neutralize it with an acid, but that's not
something I recommend either. Acid-Base chemical reactions have a way
of blowing up in your face, literally. Plus, that would likely
precipitate a sodium compound all over your blade, which would have to
be rinsed off anyway.

Old February 8th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Do you say either oven cleaner or the base produst is good, if rinsed, on
Titanium carbide router bits (gen. carbide may apply for others); and a
200-tooth steel plywood and carbide tipped combination TS blades?

Old February 8th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I can honestly say I've never tried, but based on other people's
recommendations of oven cleaner for this job, I'm pretty sure it must
be safe on carbide. You could try it on a cheap router bit first just
to make sure.

Wear gloves!

Old February 8th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Josh wrote:
That will work on stainless steel, but be wary about cleaning anything
made of aluminum. NaOH will eat aluminum and many other metals.

Will it also eat skin?

Barry