Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? XCIX

A new group of photos has just been posted, one of them is a little creepy
looking, so don't say that I didn't warn you.;-)

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

#569 is a kungfu aid:
http://www.kungfuonline.com/article.php?article=51

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

On 26/01/2006 4:53 AM, R.H. wrote:
A new group of photos has just been posted, one of them is a little creepy
looking, so don't say that I didn't warn you.;-)

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Um, #569 has its name right on it. Travel Wrench. Probably recommended
by the Canadian Tire Guy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
bremen68

Looks like...

569 Tool in a motorcyle or car kit
570 Molds for halloween?
571 I could be creatative...But I'll restrain myself on this one...No
idea
572 Wire stripper electrician/mechanics tool
573 Lawn Aerator
574 No clue

#569 is a kungfu aid:
http://www.kungfuonline.com/article.php?article=51

Tom

Note to self: Don't mess with Tom...

Relz

#569 is a kungfu aid:
http://www.kungfuonline.com/article.php?article=51

and inspired by Moe Howard...
http://www.kungfuonline.com/imgzine/...e2-TW-pic5.jpg

Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
BILL MARRS

571 Tap for tapping holes in wood? Think "broom handle"

572 Pliers for working with explosives. The business end cuts fuse, and
crimps blasting
caps. The pointy handle is for putting a hole in the dynamite stick
to push the cap
into.

573 Lawn thatcher

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"bremen68" wrote in message
ups.com...
Looks like...

569 Tool in a motorcyle or car kit
570 Molds for halloween?
571 I could be creatative...But I'll restrain myself on this one...No
idea
572 Wire stripper electrician/mechanics tool
573 Lawn Aerator
574 No clue

572 I tend toward electricians tool, as "Mfg by Sargent Co" tells me.
They make a *lot* of electrical tools.
573 Yep, a lawn aerator. The top is actually a shallow box you can put
weights in.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Frank K.

573 is a lawn aerator.

565 is an ice crusher.

Frank
"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new group of photos has just been posted, one of them is
a little creepy
looking, so don't say that I didn't warn you.;-)

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
EDEB

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new group of photos has just been posted, one of them is a little creepy
looking, so don't say that I didn't warn you.;-)

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Maybe a box for holding the mask templates. It rather depends how big the
eyes etc are. Are they life size?

EDEB.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leo Lichtman

572--Cable cutterr
573--Harrow
574--Racquet clamp
563--Carbon tet fire extinguisher
564--Sawtooth set
565--Ice crusher
566--Cane head. I WANT it!
567--Military cartridge belt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Tom

BILL MARRS wrote:

571 Tap for tapping holes in wood? Think "broom handle"

572 Pliers for working with explosives. The business end cuts fuse, and
crimps blasting
caps. The pointy handle is for putting a hole in the dynamite stick
to push the cap
into.

573 Lawn thatcher

Bill looks on the money with #572, see he

http://www.trevithick-society.org.uk...ction/0433.htm

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Sawney Beane

Tom wrote:

BILL MARRS wrote:

571 Tap for tapping holes in wood? Think "broom handle"

572 Pliers for working with explosives. The business end cuts fuse, and
crimps blasting
caps. The pointy handle is for putting a hole in the dynamite stick
to push the cap
into.

573 Lawn thatcher

Bill looks on the money with #572, see he

http://www.trevithick-society.org.uk...ction/0433.htm

Tom

571 I think they call it a chaser, to clean four pitches of threads.

572 The open hole in #572 looks like it's made to cut, not
crimp. I think it's from the days when electricity was supplied
through solid conductors that depended on air spacing because
rubber insulation wasn't reliable. I think the jaw was designed to
strip and cut 8-gage wire, and the hole in the handle was an aid
for making Western Union splices. Hmmmm... what gage were
telegraph lines?

574 It's obviously to clamp a stack of LP records together so
they don't warp on the shelf. Why didn't *I* think of that!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Sawney Beane

"R.H." wrote:

A new group of photos has just been posted, one of them is a little creepy
looking, so don't say that I didn't warn you.;-)

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

570 may have had something to do with store mannequins. A store
manager wouldn't want all the same faces, and he would want a
change from time to time. The traveling artisan could show the
manager pictures of different dummy faces, then use the kit to mold
a face with the chosen eyes, nose, and mouth.

#569 A travel wrench (duh!)
#570 A Mission Impossible kit for making latex masks?
#573 A harrow/disc?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Eric R Snow

#569 A travel wrench (duh!)
#570 A Mission Impossible kit for making latex masks?
#573 A harrow/disc?

# 565 is an ice grinder. Boy did that one bring back memories.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Maybe a box for holding the mask templates. It rather depends how big the
eyes etc are. Are they life size?

Yes, according to the owner the metal pieces are life size.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
A new group of photos has just been posted, one of them is a little creepy
looking, so don't say that I didn't warn you.;-)

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual:

569) Looks like a wrench for on-the-road repairs to a bicycle.

I'm not sure what the large round hole is for -- perhaps
mounting it somewhere to the bike frame to make sure that it is
around when you need it.

It appears to be fiberglass filled plastic, so it would not be
strong enough to use on a motorcycle, and the largest size
wrench section is too small for real utility on a motorcycle,
let alone a car.

The choice of material may be to allow it to be carried on an
airplane in these days of fear of any metal tools. :-) it *does*
say "Travel wrench" on it, after all.

570) Hmm ... at a guess, it is used for making masks with the
ability to build a pattern from various features to fit on the
basic skull part.

Or -- perhaps they would be used by an undertaker in rebuilding
a damaged face for presentation prior to the burial?

571) It doesn't look right for a thread restoration file, and in
particular there is not the difference is pitch from one side to
another, so I'll have to say "I don't know" on this one. Not
even a reasonable guess.

572) Hmm ... Sargent is a maker of locks.

So -- I would guess that this one is intended for cutting
security cables to length in the notch closer to the hinge, and
for crimping ferrules over the cut cable to provide something to
lock to, and something which won't let the strands of the cable
fray.

573) I think that is a de-thatching tool -- for breaking up
accumulated lawn trimmings which have worked their way between
the grass stems.

574) This looks as though it is to grip something wound in a large
ID coil. Perhaps something like an electrician's snake (tape).
The blue pads are to grip the edges of the coil.

Normally, they are supplied in plastic or metal holders, but
there might be some times when being able to loosen it and
stretch the tape out full length might be handy.

575) ---------- nope, nothing more to guess about. ----------

Now to see what other guesses may say.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
John

Sawney Beane wrote:

Tom wrote:

BILL MARRS wrote:

[...]

# 572 I had one of those back in the fifties when I was a little
kid. It was a wire cutter but I used it for cutting anything i could
get in the blades. It worked good for trimming the apple tree we had in
the back yard, but it was really ment for stripping and cutting wire.
It had a lot of leverage since the cutting hole was close to the pivot.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The John entity posted thusly:

# 572 I had one of those back in the fifties when I was a little
kid. It was a wire cutter but I used it for cutting anything i could
get in the blades. It worked good for trimming the apple tree we had in
the back yard, but it was really ment for stripping and cutting wire.
It had a lot of leverage since the cutting hole was close to the pivot.

You _thought_ it was a wire cutter, but...

http://miningartifacts.homestead.com...tingitems.html

Last picture at bottom of page.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
John

"R.H." wrote:

A new group of photos has just been posted, one of them is a little creepy
looking, so don't say that I didn't warn you.;-)

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Item 574 is a vinyl record press to flatten LP records when they got
warped.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Sawney Beane

Oleg Lego wrote:

The John entity posted thusly:

# 572 I had one of those back in the fifties when I was a little
kid. It was a wire cutter but I used it for cutting anything i could
get in the blades. It worked good for trimming the apple tree we had in
the back yard, but it was really ment for stripping and cutting wire.
It had a lot of leverage since the cutting hole was close to the pivot.

You _thought_ it was a wire cutter, but...

http://miningartifacts.homestead.com...tingitems.html

Last picture at bottom of page.

The caption says it's the unmarked one. Obviously the blasting
engineer who found them ground off the trademark in case Western
Union detectives came around asking questions about missing tools.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
charlie b

569 - bicycle or motor cycle wrench
Kool-Tool is more versatile

570 - I'm betting its a facial prosthetics
making kit from the WW I era.
Medicine had progressed enough that
soldiers survived horrible facial
disfiguring injuries by then. Guessing
that the parts registered to the skull
fitting into the third, missing part
of the mold, and wax or liquid latex
was poured into the mold.

That's assuming the parts shown are
out of some low melting point metal.
If they're out of aluminum (aluminium
for the Brits) or iron or steel, then
unvulcanized rubber could be placed
between the mold parts, heated and
pressed between them to form a
vulcanized rubber facial prosthetic

571 - probably an early tap (whole
threader) - most likely for
wood rather than metal

572 = wire stripper and cutter

573 - grass lawn aereator or dethatcher

564 - saw set - used to set the teeth on
a saw blade

565 - food grinder or iice crusher
circa 1970's

564 - cane handle

563 - M-1 rifle ammo clips bolders

568 - probably a leather shaving tool

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

On 26/01/2006 10:17 PM, Oleg Lego wrote:
The John entity posted thusly:

# 572 I had one of those back in the fifties when I was a little
kid. It was a wire cutter but I used it for cutting anything i could
get in the blades. It worked good for trimming the apple tree we had in
the back yard, but it was really ment for stripping and cutting wire.
It had a lot of leverage since the cutting hole was close to the pivot.

You _thought_ it was a wire cutter, but...

http://miningartifacts.homestead.com...tingitems.html

Last picture at bottom of page.

Now that I look at it again, it's something I remember from my long-ago
youth. We lived in a mining town and my Dad worked summers in the mine
(he was a teacher the rest of the year). He carried one very much like
that. That job used to scare the crap out of me when I was kid; every
couple of years some miner would kill himself from a blasting cap
explosion. They had the habit of carrying them in their shirt pockets.
He was more careful than that, but I always used to worry that he
wouldn't come home one day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote in message
. ..

Maybe a box for holding the mask templates. It rather depends how big

the
eyes etc are. Are they life size?

Yes, according to the owner the metal pieces are life size.

Rob

In that case I'd hazard that they're molds for papier mache masks or
similar.

EDEB.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Jerry Donovan

#569 is a kungfu aid:
http://www.kungfuonline.com/article.php?article=51

and inspired by Moe Howard...
http://www.kungfuonline.com/imgzine/...e2-TW-pic5.jpg

Ned Simmons

I wonder if these things would get past airport screenings?

(I wouldn't try it but my guess is that others would)

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"charlie b" wrote in message
569 - bicycle or motor cycle wrench
Kool-Tool is more versatile

snippage

573 - grass lawn aereator or dethatcher

564 - saw set - used to set the teeth on
a saw blade

565 - food grinder or iice crusher
circa 1970's

564 - cane handle

563 - M-1 rifle ammo clips bolders

I'm still going with 573 being an aerator, as a de-thatcher is designed to
vigorously rake the lawn to break up the thatch.

563 Can't definitely state M-1 ammo pouches, but somewhere in the thread
there was discussion about what they connected to, and that would definitely
be the standard military web-belt.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
dhrm77

Shouldn't this thread be called : " What is it? IC" instead ?

571: I think everyone has been looking at the wrong end. Look at the other
end, it's a flat screwdriver. and it does look used, unlike the square end
that does look untouched. My guess is, it used to have a wooden handle that
fell apart. and the thing that look like teeth are meant to give a better
grip both rotationally and transversally between the wood and the metal. The
handle would be made of 2 parts held together with some kind of collars.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
A new group of photos has just been posted, one of them is a little creepy
looking, so don't say that I didn't warn you.;-)

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal

"Norman D. Crow" writes:

"charlie b" wrote in message
569 - bicycle or motor cycle wrench
Kool-Tool is more versatile

snippage

573 - grass lawn aereator or dethatcher

564 - saw set - used to set the teeth on
a saw blade

565 - food grinder or iice crusher
circa 1970's

564 - cane handle

563 - M-1 rifle ammo clips bolders

I'm still going with 573 being an aerator, as a de-thatcher is designed to
vigorously rake the lawn to break up the thatch.

Doesn't an aerator generally have hollow teeth?

scott

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Five of them have been answered correctly, I'm still trying to find out what
the metal face parts are for exactly.

569. Impact Kerambit, self defense tool

570.

571. Tap, with matching die was used for cutting threads and nuts.

572. Blasting cap crimper

573. Lawn aerator

574. Tennis racquet press

More pictures and a few links have been posted on the answer page.

http://pzphotosan101y.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Shouldn't this thread be called : " What is it? IC" instead ?

I use a web site that translates numbers into roman numerals and vise versa,
if you try to translate IC it says invalid input, so I guess for some reason
they don't use that for 99.

571: I think everyone has been looking at the wrong end. Look at the other
end, it's a flat screwdriver. and it does look used, unlike the square end
that does look untouched. My guess is, it used to have a wooden handle

that
fell apart. and the thing that look like teeth are meant to give a better
grip both rotationally and transversally between the wood and the metal.

The
handle would be made of 2 parts held together with some kind of collars.

It does look like a screwdriver, but it's definitely a tap for making screw
holes.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

I wonder if these things would get past airport screenings?

(I wouldn't try it but my guess is that others would)

Jerry

It's listed in the FBI's Guide to Concealable Weapons:

http://datacenter.ap.org/wdc/fbiweapons.pdf

but the one they show is the older version that isn't disguised as a wrench.
The original had just regular round holes where there are now hexes. Even
though it's on the list, I would bet you could get it past 99% of airport
security by casually saying it's a bicycle wrench.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

I'm still going with 573 being an aerator, as a de-thatcher is designed
vigorously rake the lawn to break up the thatch.

Doesn't an aerator generally have hollow teeth?

scott

There are plenty of the star wheel and spike types to be found on the web,
but I do remember golf courses using the hollow ones that leave big holes, I
always disliked paying to play on a course that had just been aerated.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
. com...
"Norman D. Crow" writes:

"charlie b" wrote in message
569 - bicycle or motor cycle wrench
Kool-Tool is more versatile

snippage

573 - grass lawn aereator or dethatcher

564 - saw set - used to set the teeth on
a saw blade

565 - food grinder or iice crusher
circa 1970's

564 - cane handle

563 - M-1 rifle ammo clips bolders

I'm still going with 573 being an aerator, as a de-thatcher is designed to
vigorously rake the lawn to break up the thatch.

Doesn't an aerator generally have hollow teeth?

I've seen them both ways. I've seen commercial self-powered ones with the
hollow teeth, but the one shown here you throw a couple concrete blocks in
the weight box and tow it behind your riding mower or lawn tractor.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:49:52 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

I wonder if these things would get past airport screenings?

(I wouldn't try it but my guess is that others would)

Jerry

It's listed in the FBI's Guide to Concealable Weapons:

http://datacenter.ap.org/wdc/fbiweapons.pdf

but the one they show is the older version that isn't disguised as a wrench.
The original had just regular round holes where there are now hexes. Even
though it's on the list, I would bet you could get it past 99% of airport
security by casually saying it's a bicycle wrench.

It's not sharp or pointy, nor is it a gun or explosive. Those are really
the things that fall into the category of banned items, thus one would be
hardpressed to have it rejected. Just about anything can be turned into a
weapon by someone sufficiently skilled.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:55:19 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

"charlie b" wrote in message
569 - bicycle or motor cycle wrench
Kool-Tool is more versatile

snippage

573 - grass lawn aereator or dethatcher

564 - saw set - used to set the teeth on
a saw blade

565 - food grinder or iice crusher
circa 1970's

564 - cane handle

563 - M-1 rifle ammo clips bolders

I'm still going with 573 being an aerator, as a de-thatcher is designed to
vigorously rake the lawn to break up the thatch.

Looks like a cheap rotary hoe for a garden tractor. Same principle,
breaks up clods and aerates soil.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

R.H. wrote:
It's listed in the FBI's Guide to Concealable Weapons:

http://datacenter.ap.org/wdc/fbiweapons.pdf

but the one they show is the older version that isn't disguised as a wrench.
The original had just regular round holes where there are now hexes. Even
though it's on the list, I would bet you could get it past 99% of airport
security by casually saying it's a bicycle wrench.

I wouldn't count on it. My wife accidentally left my 9/16" wrench in
her backpack once, and they wouldn't let her take it on the plane;
apparently tools of that sort are prohibited too. ("Disassembly of the
airplane in flight is NOT ALLOWED!")

- Brooks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

R.H. wrote:
Shouldn't this thread be called : " What is it? IC" instead ?

I use a web site that translates numbers into roman numerals and vise versa,
if you try to translate IC it says invalid input, so I guess for some reason
they don't use that for 99.

The standard rule is that, when a low-value letter is placed before a
higher-value letter to indicate subtraction (such as IX indicating
10-1=9), the low-value letter can only be the next power-of-ten below
the higher-value letter. Thus, V and X can only be preceeded by I, L
and C can only be preceeded by X, and D and M can only be preceeded by
C. And so, to get 99, one writes the 90 as XC, and the 9 as IX. And
thus: XCIX.

- Brooks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Sawney Beane

"Norman D. Crow" wrote:

563 Can't definitely state M-1 ammo pouches, but somewhere in the thread
there was discussion about what they connected to, and that would definitely
be the standard military web-belt.

In the photo, one end has a buckle and the other has a loop for a
web belt to pass through. I've found a picture of an M1 rifle belt.
On each side it had a section with five pouches. They were
connected by a length of plain web in back. I've read that the M1
cartridge was about 3", so at 17", the piece in the picture looks
right for the right side of an M1 belt.

I wonder. If each piece with pouches was 17" and there was a
length of web behind, the belt must have been several inches longer
than 34. Wasn't it too big for a lot of soldiers?