Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Rinken

Default Jorgensen Clamps

Does anyone have a web site or email address for the Jorgensen Clamp people?
I bought 14 various sized cabinetmaster clamps about 3 years ago and about a
month after I bought them, I snapped the internal metal on one clamp. I
emailed someone there and they responded that it was a problem with voids in
the casting, a known problem and they sent me a replacement clamp side.

I'm gluing up a cabinet this weekend and put light pressure on the clamp and
popped 2 of em. I need to get a hold of them again, but cannot find the
email nor a website for them. I did Google and unless I'm a complete moron
all I can find is resellers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
marc rosen

Hello Mike, Maybe you could try the Adjustable Clamp Company

http://www.adjustableclamp.com/barscroll.htm

Their website lists bar and handscrews.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Rinken

Thanks, I'll try sending to their customer support to see if they can help.

Also - If anyone has any additional info, I'd certainly appreciate it.
Thanks again all.

Mike

"marc rosen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Mike, Maybe you could try the Adjustable Clamp Company

http://www.adjustableclamp.com/barscroll.htm

Their website lists bar and handscrews.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Mike Rinken" mwrinken at comcast dot net wrote in message
. ..
Thanks, I'll try sending to their customer support to see if they can
help.

Also - If anyone has any additional info, I'd certainly appreciate it.
Thanks again all.

Mike

Call this # for replacement parts. (312) 666-0640

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

And you work for.... Bessey in Germany, right? Or state side?

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Kind of OT... but has anyone ever tried the handscrews from harbor
Freight? I suspect they're Chinese, but they're CHEAP. (And one can never have too many clamps, right?)

Yes I have four of them, they were hyper cheap and made in Armenia. I feel, for
the quality they really are not* quite worth it. The wood is decent hardness, all
hand cut but really poorly, seems to be nice beech or soft maple.

These might be worth buying for the cut jaw wood, then assemble-in a Steelex
kit. I just might improve mine that way. Then the old ferrruled handles can be
used for files and rasps, but the holes are large and the handles, small.

All the metal parts are very poor, the screws are hard enough but all the thread
teeth have pits and breaks on the tops, it's as though the metal was poured into
a mould, with the threading already there as part of it, like those chip outs were
air bubbles. Or maybe the teeth were cut in, but with the metal at the wrong
temprature, or it's crap brittle steel cut using dull dyes.

But at the same price as that for cheap, the next ones I will try will be the
"improved" ones from Japan Woodworker. However, If you don't want to pay
shipping and you have the HF in town then buy them, because they do work.

Bottom of the page:
http://japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id=12810 Buy 5 or more and get
15% off!

However I think the Dubuque USA they on the same page are priced fair enough
for well made, because the US made Jorgensen are much higher, and they have
small handles.

With the HF ones, you just have to wait for a screw to *SNAP* during a vital
glue-up, you'll be ****ed as hell, and buy decent ones. It will not have been
worth it.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill B

On 2006-01-20 22:04:31 -0500, "Mike Rinken" mwrinken at comcast dot
net said:

[...]

I have a couple hand screws, and some of their bar clamps. They are
good for hanging on the wall and looking like you have lots of clamps.
Otherwise, they are pretty marginal. The threads on the handscrews are
so poorly cut that they are hard to get tight enough to hold much. Bump
them and they fall off. The bar clamps are not much better, the heads
on some of them won't rotate, so your wood spins instead.

I use several Cabinetmasters, old fashioned pipe clamps, and lots of the
one handed quick clamps (now from Irwin).

The HF clamps get used when I run out of good clamps, or when there is a
distinct possiblity that the clamp could be damaged, like welding or such.

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"AAvK" wrote in message
newsZqAf.11246$eR.3010@fed1read03...

Kind of OT... but has anyone ever tried the handscrews from harbor
Freight? I suspect they're Chinese, but they're CHEAP. (And one can never
have too many clamps, right?)

Yes I have four of them, they were hyper cheap and made in Armenia. I
feel, for
the quality they really are not* quite worth it.

Too bad they were not made in China. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

You should get the Steelex kits to replace the hardware on your HF handscrews,
that's what I will do.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Too bad they were not made in China. ;~)

Yeah maybe, huh? They might be better then.

But the wood of the HF ones is great. Just a bit poorly cut as far as chamfers,
faces are flat tho...

I have two beech wooden cooking spoons made by Oxo "good grips" made in
China. And this beech is light and poor. Barely used, one has already cracked
from drying after use. The thing is I can tell the difference, and the HF wood
is decent.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Kind of OT... but has anyone ever tried the handscrews from harbor
Freight? I suspect they're Chinese, but they're CHEAP. (And one can
never have too many clamps, right?)

Never tried the HF handscrews, but I have a few of the Grizzly
Industrial 12" models and I like them. They have nice big plated
leadscrews and are $11.95 each.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8066

And no, I don't work for Grizzly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 00:10:22 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Andy
quickly quoth:

Kind of OT... but has anyone ever tried the handscrews from harbor
Freight? I suspect they're Chinese, but they're CHEAP. (And one can
never have too many clamps, right?)

Never tried the HF handscrews, but I have a few of the Grizzly
Industrial 12" models and I like them. They have nice big plated
leadscrews and are $11.95 each.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8066

And no, I don't work for Grizzly.

I picked up a couple of HF's 12-inchers and like them. I had to run
them through their range with some grease on the threads to clear up
some burrs, then clean 'em off, but they're smooth now. Buy them on
sale, they're well worth it.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen

They are all I use. {Learned my lesson building my own !!} On sale they are
CHEAPER then the 'build-your-own' kits.

I have sizes from about 3in to about 12in. Grab a few more every time I see
them on sale. Also the metal 'bar' clamps. Although I have them up to 50in,
I grab the 12in almost every time . . . VERY convenient & versatile size.
Same idea with the wood clamps - small {4 to 6in} very handy.

Yes - they are Chinese and the threads may be a little rough, but that
actually helps them 'hold'. Again, I learned my lesson when I smoothed &
waxed {so no glue sticks}the metal threads. . . loosens up every so every so
sneakily !! By the same token, something that really torques me off is is
buying a 'quality, Name Brand', paying the extra money, then opening the
package and seeing that 'Made in China' imprint. Do you know where your
Jorgensen's are made ??

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop