DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Problem with Stihl 041 AV (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/140443-problem-stihl-041-av.html)

[email protected] January 16th 06 05:54 AM

Problem with Stihl 041 AV

Recently got this saw(my first) and I had it running but it would not
idle. I adjusted the low speed screw but was a little heavy handed,
turnrf it too much and flooded the engine. I let it sit for the night
now I can't get it started at all. I get the pull cord out a foot and
it snaps back HARD. The compression has gone way up and I am at a
loss. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Etienne

DonkeyHody January 16th 06 12:08 PM

Problem with Stihl 041 AV

wrote:
Recently got this saw(my first) and I had it running but it would not
idle. I adjusted the low speed screw but was a little heavy handed,
turnrf it too much and flooded the engine. I let it sit for the night
now I can't get it started at all. I get the pull cord out a foot and
it snaps back HARD. The compression has gone way up and I am at a
loss. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Etienne

This is just a guess, but maybe worth a try. Sounds like you may have
a little bit of liquid gasoline in the cylinder. The
incompressibility of even a couple of drops of liquid would raise the
compression ratio quite a bit and leave the air-fuel ratio way too rich
to burn. Remove the spark plug and pull the cord several times to
purge the cylinder. If you have compressed air handy, blow a few shots
of air in the cylinder to dry things out. Then replace the spark plug
and try to start it.

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."