Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Brubaker

Default Dust Collector Metal Duct Work question

Ok, this seems like a dumb question and one with an easy answer but after
searching the web for several hours and reading numerous articles I am
unable to find it. What is the metal duct used for dust collection systems?

Is it simply single walled stove pipe? If so, is it possible to buy it in
like 10' lengths. Any recommendations as to where to buy it?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike

Yes it is single walled pipe. Depending on the diameter, 10 ft sections
will work just fine if it is strong enough to keep from collapsing from
the DC vacuum. 24- 26 gauge is recomended. Wide radius elbows will work
more efficiently than standard adjustable fittings. You can usually
find what you need at sheetmetal supply houses or even some well
stocked hardware stores. The big box stores mostly stock only 28-32
gage pipe. This is ok for blowing air but not for sucking. I have seen
even large diameter 16 gauge pipe collapse from high vacuum in
industrial systems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Brubaker wrote:
What is the metal duct used for dust collection systems?

Is it simply single walled stove pipe? If so, is it possible to buy it in
like 10' lengths. Any recommendations as to where to buy it?

Wood Workers Supply has a nice assortment of pipe and fittings. It
looks like it's galvanized steel. They have the long sweep elbows and
blast gates.

Tom in KY, Is it just me or is it really slow tonight?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

If you looked for hours, you need to work on your Google search strings. Plug in:

dust collector pipe "metal pipe"

to the google search box and get 600,000+ hits. Here's a couple of the more interesting ones.

http://www.plasticsmag.com/features....sue=Nov/Dec-01

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Ducting.cfm

Regards,
Roy

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 19:23:45 -0500, "Mark Brubaker" wrote:

Ok, this seems like a dumb question and one with an easy answer but after
searching the web for several hours and reading numerous articles I am
unable to find it. What is the metal duct used for dust collection systems?

Is it simply single walled stove pipe? If so, is it possible to buy it in
like 10' lengths. Any recommendations as to where to buy it?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Mark Brubaker" wrote in message
Ok, this seems like a dumb question and one with an easy answer but after
searching the web for several hours and reading numerous articles I am
unable to find it. What is the metal duct used for dust collection
systems?

Is it simply single walled stove pipe? If so, is it possible to buy it in
like 10' lengths. Any recommendations as to where to buy it?

I bought some 5" at Chase Pitkin. I presume all home centers have it, but
haven't looked. It was only a few dollars for a 8' (I think) length.
It comes flat and the sides lock together. 5" DC fittings fit fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Weisgram

wrote:

Ok, this seems like a dumb question and one with an easy answer but after
searching the web for several hours and reading numerous articles I am
unable to find it. What is the metal duct used for dust collection systems?

Is it simply single walled stove pipe? If so, is it possible to buy it in
like 10' lengths. Any recommendations as to where to buy it?

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...cting.cfm#Pipe
http://www.oneida-air.com/
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/duct.html
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...080&sort=price

Having given some supplier links that will ship to you, you really
should look locally. You might find metal ducting at a supplier HVAC
components. PVC pipe like 2729 Sewer and Drain pipe is another option.
Too thin metal ductwork may collapse if hooked to a large enough dust
collection system. I believe 26 guage is the minimum recommendation.

Posted to rec.woodworking
BillyBob

"Mark Brubaker" wrote in message
Ok, this seems like a dumb question and one with an easy answer but after
searching the web for several hours and reading numerous articles I am
unable to find it. What is the metal duct used for dust collection

systems?

Is it simply single walled stove pipe? If so, is it possible to buy it in
like 10' lengths. Any recommendations as to where to buy it?

Stove pipe is not designed to withstand any kind of pressure. Its too thin
to use for dust collection. Many many people are quite pleased to use S&D
(sewer and drain) PVC pipe for a home dust collection system. Its cheap,
easy to assemble and the fittings are readily available in many larger
Lowe's and Home Depot. Be sure you get S&D instead of sched 40 pipe. S&D
fittings are about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of PVC pipe fittings.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gene

Do you need to worry about static arcing with plastic pipe?

Posted to rec.woodworking
TeamCasa

"Gene" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you need to worry about static arcing with plastic pipe?

Oh No! Static! God Forbid!

The answer is no. Used it for years. DAGS and you will see thousands of
topics on the subject.
Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
leonard

hi mark

I have just installed a metal pipe system in my shop after agonizing over
pvc or metal. The metal comes in two types one expensive(professional use
and thick galvanized seam-less and heavy) and the other that looks similar
to HVAC pipe but is thicker and make for woodworking dust collecting
ducting.living near Baltimore md I purchased the pipe at a local supply
house (Scarrie Inc.) although a bit more expensive It works for me.

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On 6 Jan 2006 19:56:43 -0800, "Gene" wrote:

Do you need to worry about static arcing with plastic pipe?

Yes, but not much. It will _NOT_ explode. It may annoy you.

Worst of all is metal fittings (such as elbows) linked by plastic pipe.
Those are the worst for building up charge and zapping you. They
probably should be given an external bonding wire.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Is it simply single walled stove pipe?

What does "stove pipe" cost locally? I make woodstoves and buying stove
pipe is one of my major costs - stuff is a frightening price hereabouts
(UK).

OTOH, I can have my dust collector elbows custom rolled to my choice of
sizes for a very good price. Don't fool around trying to make
complicated branches here - get the pro with the rolling machine to do
it, it's not that expensive.
Posted to rec.woodworking
TBone

Not to sound insulting but who in their right mind would use metal fittings
with plastic pipe. For me personally, it is the outrageous cost of the
metal fittings that have me using plastic in the first place. A $50 metal
reducer costs $3 in PVC and forget about the price of an elbow or splitter.
Now some people use metal waste gates as they are no all that much more
(even at 3 times the price) but the cost of those other fittings just kill
me and I need more of them then I would like.

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 6 Jan 2006 19:56:43 -0800, "Gene" wrote:

Do you need to worry about static arcing with plastic pipe?

Yes, but not much. It will _NOT_ explode. It may annoy you.

Worst of all is metal fittings (such as elbows) linked by plastic pipe.
Those are the worst for building up charge and zapping you. They
probably should be given an external bonding wire.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Andy Dingley wrote:
: On 6 Jan 2006 19:56:43 -0800, "Gene" wrote:

:Do you need to worry about static arcing with plastic pipe?

: Yes, but not much. It will _NOT_ explode. It may annoy you.

I've hard of one case where the persongort a REALLY nasty shock.
You're right that there's no danger of explosion, but receiving
a large shock is a different matter.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

26 gauge metal duct is what you want.

The best deals I've found a
hvacommerce.com - 26 ga, 5" duct, $5.66 / 5 ft
pennstateind.com - "economy" 26 ga fittings

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Brubaker

Thanks for the advice, I happened to find pennstateind.com just before I
read your post.

ups.com...