Posted to rec.woodworking
Kevin L. Bowling

Default Lumber sources?

I've spent a bundle of moolah lately for hard maple, red oak and poplar.
Buying from Frank Paxton Lumber Co. in Cincinnati. I asked about rough sawn
lumber but the savings just wasn't enough to justify the extra labor. I'd
have had to buy 500 board ft. to even get any savings. What are some good
sources to get ahold of some decent rough cut hardwoods for cheap. I like to
doing the work but it sucks to pay those primo prices for wood that still
needs quite a bit of work. Would a sawmill be the best option? Any other
ideas?

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking
jeff

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 05:37:49 +0000, Kevin L. Bowling wrote:

I've spent a bundle of moolah lately for hard maple, red oak and poplar.
Buying from Frank Paxton Lumber Co. in Cincinnati. I asked about rough sawn
lumber but the savings just wasn't enough to justify the extra labor. I'd
have had to buy 500 board ft. to even get any savings. What are some good
sources to get ahold of some decent rough cut hardwoods for cheap. I like to
doing the work but it sucks to pay those primo prices for wood that still
needs quite a bit of work. Would a sawmill be the best option? Any other
ideas?

Kevin

Kevin,
I'm in Columbus and buy from Willis lumber just south of me or Frank
Miller in Union City. They both have web sites. I was over at Miller's
yesterday and they have lots of maple. Both Willis and Miller deliver
across the state free. Willis has a 500 board feet minimum for
free delivery. Miller doesn't. Miller is by far the bigger operation,
and for what I buy, QSWO, has better prices. Both places are very
nice to deal with. There's also a place in Enon, Ohio which is
between Springfield and Dayton on 70 West. It's called the Hardwood
Store. They have a website too. Sorry, I'm away from my regular machine
or I would send you the links. The Enon store is more for the guy
who just wants to build a table. Miller's will give you the 1200
bf price on any size order if you are a business. QSWO at Millers is
about $3.80 a bf, right around what walnut is. This is the select
or better price. Enon is about $4.30 or so and Willis is close to
Enon. Email me if you have trouble finding what you want. Ohio is
full of wood.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

I'm in Marysville, just west of Columbus, and often buy from Steve Kreis who
operates a small local sawmill in Milford Center, Ohio. He usually has a
good inventory of local hardwoods, no minimum order, and you can pick out
the boards you want. He has no website, but I have his phone number and
address if anyone is interested. --dave
"jeff" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
WConner

" Buying from Frank Paxton Lumber Co. in Cincinnati. "

Seems to me if you are close to Cincinnati, a little exploring in Ky would
turn up some good buys. I always want to have a supply ahead of time to
insure it is conditioned when I am ready to use it plus if you need to buy
on the spur of the moment, you are likely to have to pay top price.

Walt Conner

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

Kevin L. Bowling wrote:
I've spent a bundle of moolah lately for hard maple, red oak and poplar.
Buying from Frank Paxton Lumber Co. in Cincinnati. I asked about rough sawn
lumber but the savings just wasn't enough to justify the extra labor. I'd
have had to buy 500 board ft. to even get any savings. What are some good
sources to get ahold of some decent rough cut hardwoods for cheap. I like to
doing the work but it sucks to pay those primo prices for wood that still
needs quite a bit of work. Would a sawmill be the best option? Any other
ideas?

Kevin

Kevin,
I saw a 'Custom Sawing - Woodmiser' business card on a bulletin board
while grossly overpaying for hardwood at the only sawmill/lumber place
near me. Made a phone call and found an older gentleman on a horse
farm selling air or kiln dried rough lumber he cuts himself. $1/bdft
for a generous 4/4 red/white oak & ash, $2/bdft for cherry & walnut.
No maple though - chips all that up for animal bedding. Asked me if
I'd be interested in some new 8/4 stuff when it's ready in the kiln.
Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Keep your eyes open, you may luck
out too.
Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phil-in-MI

Kevin:

have you tried
http://www.woodfinder.com/

"Kevin L. Bowling" wrote in message
I've spent a bundle of moolah lately for hard maple, red oak and poplar.
Buying from Frank Paxton Lumber Co. in Cincinnati. I asked about rough
sawn lumber but the savings just wasn't enough to justify the extra labor.
I'd have had to buy 500 board ft. to even get any savings. What are some
good sources to get ahold of some decent rough cut hardwoods for cheap. I
like to doing the work but it sucks to pay those primo prices for wood
that still needs quite a bit of work. Would a sawmill be the best option?
Any other ideas?

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Kevin L. Bowling

Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking into some of these options.

Kevin