Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

Default Rousseau Deluxe Router Base Plate Mod. 3509

Don't follow the installation instructions step by step. The 3" dimension
in Fig. 1 is wrong. Do the math at the bottom of the next page and then
subtract 3/8" from that figure for the set-back on the homemade guides.

viz:
((diameter of base minus 1/2") divided by 2) minus 3/8" = setback for
template.

DAMHIKT

---- waiting for the glue to dry on cleats even as we speak. Also waiting
to see what Rousseau does with his request for reimbursement for the 3/4"
thick phenolic-coated plywood with the too-large hole in the middle that I
am almost certainly going to have to replace.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 00:08:04 -0500, W Canaday wrote:

---- waiting for the glue to dry on cleats even as we speak. Also
waiting to see what Rousseau does with his request for reimbursement for
the 3/4" thick phenolic-coated plywood with the too-large hole in the
middle that I am almost certainly going to have to replace.

Bill

Am responding to my own post with a follow-up to report that Paul at
Rousseau responded very positively and in a reasonable amount of time.

When things go well it is easy to recommend just about any company. They
all have some virtue or other that makes them worth dealing with for
someone under some circumstances.

However, when the chips are down the story often changes.

Paul opted to lose more than he could possibly have made rather than lose
a customer. All he asked from me in return was help in re-wording the
directions so that others would not be confused by them.

The cleats mentioned above are oak, glued on with polyurethane glue and
will be (sometime this weekend) reinforced with several 1/8" dowel pins
glued in place. I suppose I could also just use common nails glued in
place, too. The point being that I am going to try to make the repair I
had already started suffice instead of just reflexively reaching into
someone else's wallet.

The fact that Paul responded quickly and favorably plays a large part in
this decision. As things stand now, we are agreed that if the repair
holds, he is off the hook. If it doesn't, I'll have to repeat the work of
making the table but I won't get stuck with the expense.

Until his revised directions end up in packages, keep in
mind that the outline you are directed to make is 3/8" too large. Use that
outline, but subtract the 3/8" from the 3" dimension given in Figure 1 to
get the proper setback. Also keep in mind that the setback figure will
vary with the size of your router base and you will have to adjust your
numbers if your router base varies from 6 1/2". Don't assume. Measure.

Bill