Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Buckeye Burl and Other Turning Woods

Buckeye Burl is one of the best woods for turning once you get past the
smell. Kind of like urine when the wood is a bit green. It has a great
color combination of blue and yellows mostly and is about 3 times as
hard as cork I would say. It can be turned when green and doesn't
shrink much and takes a polish very nicely. I see it as large turnings
like bowls and small items like pens. You can turn it green and finish
it off with a heatgun for about 2 minutes per sq ft and then you can
sand away. No smell lingers after the pieces dry and they show some of
the most striking figure in burl. http://www.walnutwoods.net/
I have some great pieces on my website if you are interested just go to
the above url. I don't claim to be an expert but I do enjoy working
with wood and like talking about it.