Posted to rec.woodworking
miamicuse

Default How to fix a cracked corner of an MDF shelf?

The corner of a shelf is cracked after accidentally dropping on a tile
floor. Now it looks like this:

Posted to rec.woodworking
miamicuse

The corner of a shelf is cracked after accidentally dropping on a tile
floor. Now it looks like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...okencorner.JPG

how can I fix this? Should I cut off the broken end and use wood filler and
sand to original shape or is there a better way?

MC

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"miamicuse" wrote in message
The corner of a shelf is cracked after accidentally dropping on a tile
floor. Now it looks like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...okencorner.JPG

how can I fix this? Should I cut off the broken end and use wood filler

and
sand to original shape or is there a better way?

MC

How visible is this when the shelf is assembled? I suspect that the only
thing you can do at this point is make it worse. You could try injecting
some glue in between the separated layers and clamping them together to dry.
I'm not optimistic about the chances of a repair I would call satisfactory.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
gmd

Try Some wood epoxy it is a two part putty you knead together and it dries
rock hard . You can shape it as it is drying.
Good Luck

"miamicuse" wrote in message
The corner of a shelf is cracked after accidentally dropping on a tile
floor. Now it looks like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...okencorner.JPG

how can I fix this? Should I cut off the broken end and use wood filler

and
sand to original shape or is there a better way?

MC

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

miamicuse wrote:
The corner of a shelf is cracked after accidentally dropping on a tile
floor. Now it looks like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...okencorner.JPG

how can I fix this? Should I cut off the broken end and use wood filler and
sand to original shape or is there a better way?

MC

G'day MC,
I can't figure out your pic. I can see the damage, but the shelf
construction has me buggered. Is this MDF sheeting sandwiching a frame?
If the groove, channel is not important, just cut the corner of and glue
another piece of mdf in it's place, Shape and sand and finish and it
will be almost invisible.
Regards
John

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

John B wrote:
miamicuse wrote:

The corner of a shelf is cracked after accidentally dropping on a tile
floor. Now it looks like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...okencorner.JPG

how can I fix this? Should I cut off the broken end and use wood
filler and
sand to original shape or is there a better way?

MC

G'day MC,
I can't figure out your pic. I can see the damage, but the shelf
construction has me buggered. Is this MDF sheeting sandwiching a frame?
If the groove, channel is not important, just cut the corner of and glue
another piece of mdf in it's place, Shape and sand and finish and it
will be almost invisible.
Regards
John

After seeing the pics of the broken pin I now can see the problem.
If the surface of the MDF isn't damaged to badly, this may work.
1. Obtain a piece of timber the same thickness as the groove.
2. Wrap this piece in wax paper or glad wrap.
3. Squirt heaps of PVA into the cracks and splits
4. Tap the wrapped piece of timber into the groove.
5. Place a clamp on the outside, squeezing the shoulders against the
wrapped timber.
When reassembling the unit, place the repaired section so that it is in
an inconspicuous place, if the repair does not become invisible.

If the actual surface is damaged I'd have to go with the suggestion in
the previous post. Still use a wrapped piece of timber so that the
groove remains the correct width.

Good Luck
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
CC

"John B" wrote in message
miamicuse wrote:
The corner of a shelf is cracked after accidentally dropping on a tile
floor. Now it looks like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...okencorner.JPG

how can I fix this? Should I cut off the broken end and use wood filler
and
sand to original shape or is there a better way?

MC

Looking at the photo, I would cut a spline the width of the slot, wrap it in
wax paper. Glue the damaged
area with tite bond glue then insert the spline in the slot and clamp till
dry. Remove the spline .
The particle board, melamine, should glue back ok from the picture of the
damage,
If the surface is damaged, repair with a wax stick of the appropriate color,
or if you can, turn shelf
over and use other side for the top, if they are identical.
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

how can I fix this?

Don't buy mdf furniture? I hate the stuff. I would inject some wood
glue into the cracks, then clamp it flat so that it compresses back to
it's original shape. It might help to make some wood strips that
exactly fit the grooves to provide support. Wrap them in clear packing
tape so they don't glue themselves to the shelf.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

miamicuse wrote:
The corner of a shelf is cracked after accidentally dropping on a tile
floor. Now it looks like this:

You mean it vanished?

Repairing cracked shelf in refrigerator door [email protected] Home Repair 9 November 17th 05 06:00 PM
This Old Shelf? Tom Watson Woodworking 4 May 2nd 05 05:09 AM
my first builtin shelf... Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 4 March 1st 05 04:06 PM
The Shelf that Rearranged a Workshop - Long. Groggy Woodworking 18 January 5th 05 06:59 AM
Neanderthal-style Shelf Installation (long) Patrick Olguin Woodworking 11 April 5th 04 04:39 AM