Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I Need advice on tool purchases

Hi Gang,
Heres some background. I work in my garage(SHOP!!) and I have a nice
50" Jet TS and an old Dewalt RAS and crappy ryobi router.
Lately I have had delusions of grandeur, thinking about doing some more
serious side work. I have a commission to do 7 small carts and another
to do an entertainment center. These are from the same client.
I am in a position to invest in the shop a bit and I can justify about
$5-$600. Im thinking of getting a 2hp Dust collector (Shop Fox), a
Triton 2-1/4 HP Router, and a forrest WWII blade.

Im getting a PC nailer set out of what I make for these 7 carts.
i dont have a jointer or planer but I dont have much need for them at
this moment. Althought I do have a bunch of raw Black Walnut boards
that need planing.
My work is pretty varied. A bunch of cabinet stuff, but I want to get
into some fine blanket chests, furniture n stuff.

Im open to other suggestions. Help me spend my money!

BadAndy

--
:: Clever Sig here ::
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy H" wrote in message
Hi Gang,
Heres some background. I work in my garage(SHOP!!) and I have a nice 50"
Jet TS and an old Dewalt RAS and crappy ryobi router.
Lately I have had delusions of grandeur, thinking about doing some more
serious side work. I have a commission to do 7 small carts and another to
do an entertainment center. These are from the same client.
I am in a position to invest in the shop a bit and I can justify about
$5-$600. Im thinking of getting a 2hp Dust collector (Shop Fox), a Triton
2-1/4 HP Router, and a forrest WWII blade.

The dust collector will be a luxury that will not assist in actual building
of a project. Nice to have but will not get all of what your TS, RAS or
router put out. You are still going to have to clean up.

If your saw is properly set up I would go with the Blade improvement WWII
first.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Andy H" wrote in message
Hi Gang,
Heres some background. I work in my garage(SHOP!!) and I have a nice 50"
Jet TS and an old Dewalt RAS and crappy ryobi router.
Lately I have had delusions of grandeur, thinking about doing some more
serious side work. I have a commission to do 7 small carts and another to
do an entertainment center. These are from the same client.
I am in a position to invest in the shop a bit and I can justify about
$5-$600. Im thinking of getting a 2hp Dust collector (Shop Fox), a Triton
2-1/4 HP Router, and a forrest WWII blade.

The dust collector will be a luxury that will not assist in actual building
of a project. Nice to have but will not get all of what your TS, RAS or
router put out. You are still going to have to clean up.

If your saw is properly set up I would go with the Blade improvement WWII
first.

I am definitely getting the WWII, my questions is: Is there anything
else that I am not thinking of that would be useful?

I'd love a jointer but i want to wait until I can get a good one.
Im afraid a planer would just sit there for quite a while.

The dust collector is the thing thats got me puzzled. Is it going to be
that helpful? Is there something more useful that I should get instead?

thanks!
BadAndy

--
:: Clever Sig here ::
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy H" wrote in message

I am definitely getting the WWII, my questions is: Is there anything
else that I am not thinking of that would be useful?

Yes, EVERYTHING! I have been doing this for 30 or so years and I still
need/want everything I see. ;~)

I'd love a jointer but i want to wait until I can get a good one.
Im afraid a planer would just sit there for quite a while.

I bought a jointer in 1983. It is absolutely the least used tool in my
shop. I could not get along with out a planer.
If you rough cut lumber is relatively flat you can run it through the planer
and be fine. Keep in mind that a plainer will not by itself flatten a
board. You can build a jig to flatten a board with a planer. I use a Jig
over using my jointer.
A Kreg pocket hole jig is very handy also.
What you buy next will be mosty dictated by what your projects are going to
be. You will be safe with the planer and or Kreg and you will certainly use
both quite often.
The plainer is very useful for resurfacing to a specific thickness, smooth
up resaw cuts and or making thiner stick.

The dust collector is the thing thats got me puzzled. Is it going to be
that helpful? Is there something more useful that I should get instead?

Again, IMHO the dust collector is a luxury. I have been woodworking
seriousely since 1978 and finally bought a dust collector last spring IIRC.
I had to have it for a drum sander as at that point it becomes a necessity
although I got the DC a year before the sander. My BS turns out an enormous
amount of dust when resawing and I got the DC quickly after buying the
Laguna BS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:17:45 -0500, Andy H
wrote:

[...]

Leon and I don't agree a lot and this is another one of those times. I
think the Forrest blade is the most overrated item in the woodworking
market. I know there will be people wearing cassocks, and shoes with
big buckles, who will be beating on my door for that heresy. The truth
is, any of the premium blades (common name doesn't signify lesser
quality), Freud, Systimatic, Amana, etc., will do a more than adequate
job without the 20% premium in price.

Similarly, with routers, what do you think the extra money in the
Triton will get you that a more pedestrian router wouldn't? For the
money they get for it, you could have two routers with less glitz. I'm
not demeaning the design, but if you do a lot of routing, quantity has
a quality all its own. I'd rather have a couple or three P-C 690s for
the convenience than one Triton (or, gasp, Festool). However, that's
an oversimplification, and your routing needs surely aren't the same
as my routing needs.

I did woodworking for a lot of years without either a jointer or a
planer, and I've had two of each since then. I can't really quantify
how I'd rank them in importance of necessity.

I think I'd like to see a drill press in the mix. I've often referred
to it as the most used tool in my shop.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:
Snip

Similarly, with routers, what do you think the extra money in the
Triton will get you that a more pedestrian router wouldn't? For the
money they get for it, you could have two routers with less glitz. I'm
not demeaning the design, but if you do a lot of routing, quantity has
a quality all its own. I'd rather have a couple or three P-C 690s for
the convenience than one Triton (or, gasp, Festool). However, that's
an oversimplification, and your routing needs surely aren't the same
as my routing needs.

I did woodworking for a lot of years without either a jointer or a
planer, and I've had two of each since then. I can't really quantify
how I'd rank them in importance of necessity.

I think I'd like to see a drill press in the mix. I've often referred
to it as the most used tool in my shop.

Thanks LRod,
I forgot to mention that I have a small Drill press. A 10" Delta. I
would like a larger one, 12" maybe?

The Triton Router is $199. I want to mount it into a table and I like
the fact that it comes with an edge guide. You think a PC 690 would be
better? And buy my own edge guide? The PC is smaller, but "only" 1-3/4 HP.
Im leaning toward a planer. As I said i have a bunch of Walnut and i
want to get into building nicer things. The planer could open that door
for me?

Keep the suggestions coming I appreciate every one! I think Ive ruled
out the DC. Not enough bang for my buck.

BadAndy
--
:: Clever Sig here ::
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Andy H wrote:
[...]

I'd say hold onto your money until you really know what you _need_ to do
what you're trying to do, myself. (I know, like LRod, I'm up for the
heresy stake! ).

I agree w/ Leon for what it sounds like you have/intend, the DC early on
would seem to be a luxury that probably won't accomplish that much in
terms of what it can actually capture at the source which is their real
advantage.

OTOH, for what I typically do/way I've become accustomed to work, the
jointer is probably the secondmost used of the stationary tools behind
(barely) the tablesaw and planer. But, I reclaim a lot of old stuff
that isn't that flat often unlike Leon don't much care for the trouble
involved in trying to do that step w/ the planer.

I don't know what you're using for a blade on the TS now, but while I
agree the WWII is excellent, there are others less expensive. But, if
your heart is set on it, I won't say you would go wrong there as an
investment.

For the router, can't comment too much on Triton; never had opportunity
to see one even--been satisfied w/ the Hitachi and Makita I have (and I
can't think of models, undoubtedly they're now old enough to be out of
production anyway) but for most stuff I use the shaper rather than
router anyway unless it's smaller or need the plunge or the mobility of
working on fixed pieces.

But, as rare as it is in the rec, I really think when you know what
you need is the time to go shopping, not just when you have a whim. IOW,
start on your projects and see where you're stuck doing something the
hard way and then decide what it takes to solve that problem. You'll
probably be happier in the long run.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 3, 1:07 pm, "Leon" wrote:

I bought a jointer in 1983. It is absolutely the least used tool in my
shop. I could not get along with out a planer.

You're not the only person to make this claim. I'm the odd-ball. I use
my jointer all the time. If a board touches the table saw fence, I run
it through the jointer first.

The dust collector is the thing thats got me puzzled. Is it going to be
that helpful? Is there something more useful that I should get instead?

If the OP's worried about his health, I'd recommend an air-filter over
a dust collector. It's the small stuff that'll kill you, not the big
particles that collect on the floor. Plus, he probably already owns a
shop vac.

Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff wrote:
On Dec 3, 1:07 pm, "Leon" wrote:
I bought a jointer in 1983. It is absolutely the least used tool in my
shop. I could not get along with out a planer.

You're not the only person to make this claim. I'm the odd-ball. I use
my jointer all the time. If a board touches the table saw fence, I run
it through the jointer first.

The dust collector is the thing thats got me puzzled. Is it going to be
that helpful? Is there something more useful that I should get instead?

If the OP's worried about his health, I'd recommend an air-filter over
a dust collector. It's the small stuff that'll kill you, not the big
particles that collect on the floor. Plus, he probably already owns a
shop vac.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,
I never even thought of a Air filter! Dont know much about them, my
shop is 18 x 18 with a 12" ceiling, would an Airfilter get all of the
suspended dust?

--
:: Clever Sig here ::
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , badandy001@gmaildotcom wrote:
Jeff wrote:
On Dec 3, 1:07 pm, "Leon" wrote:
I bought a jointer in 1983. It is absolutely the least used tool in my
shop. I could not get along with out a planer.

You're not the only person to make this claim. I'm the odd-ball. I use
my jointer all the time. If a board touches the table saw fence, I run
it through the jointer first.

Same here. Sure, you can get along without one, but why? It makes life easier.

The dust collector is the thing thats got me puzzled. Is it going to be
that helpful? Is there something more useful that I should get instead?

If the OP's worried about his health, I'd recommend an air-filter over
a dust collector. It's the small stuff that'll kill you, not the big
particles that collect on the floor. Plus, he probably already owns a
shop vac.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,
I never even thought of a Air filter! Dont know much about them, my
shop is 18 x 18 with a 12" ceiling, would an Airfilter get all of the
suspended dust?

No, it won't get all of it, but it will get a surprisingly high portion of it.
It's best to use a dust collector and air filter in combination; the two
together will get nearly everything.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 3, 2:45 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , badandy001@gmaildotcom wrote:
Thanks Jeff,
I never even thought of a Air filter! Dont know much about them, my
shop is 18 x 18 with a 12" ceiling, would an Airfilter get all of the
suspended dust?

No, it won't get all of it, but it will get a surprisingly high portion of it.
It's best to use a dust collector and air filter in combination; the two
together will get nearly everything.

I agree the combination will get nearly everything. My thought was
that he could use a shop vac now for dust collection and couple that
with an air filter to provide a safer environment.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LRod" wrote in message

Leon and I don't agree a lot and this is another one of those times.

Hey , hey, Hey!!!!!!! ;~)

think the Forrest blade is the most overrated item in the woodworking
market. I know there will be people wearing cassocks, and shoes with
big buckles, who will be beating on my door for that heresy. The truth
is, any of the premium blades (common name doesn't signify lesser
quality), Freud, Systimatic, Amana, etc., will do a more than adequate
job without the 20% premium in price.

Actually I have bought more Systematic blades between 1988 and 1999 than I
have Forrest baldes. I will agree that they do do a good job. Up until I
mounted a Forrest I thought the Systematic was a steal at $59. But like
many others I prefer the Forrest. I very very seldom have to do anything to
a cut edge before applying the finish. For me that is worth the difference
in price. And the price difference comes out closer to a 40% price
difference and or 66% more expensive.

Similarly, with routers, what do you think the extra money in the
Triton will get you that a more pedestrian router wouldn't?

You might want to take a look at the Triton prices. IIRC they are well over
$100 cheaper than they were 3 or 4 years ago. IIRC they may be on the cheap
end these days.
http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4519

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy H" wrote in message

Thanks LRod,
I forgot to mention that I have a small Drill press. A 10" Delta. I
would like a larger one, 12" maybe?

Well to throw in my 2 cents again. ;~) My Rockwell DP is the oldest tool
in my shop. I got it in 1979 IIRC.
Anyway, you may not get too much for your money going from a 10 to 12".
Consider also, a Radial Arm Drill Press. Mine is a 36" bench top model that
will let you swing the head left to right, tilt the head 90 degrees left or
right and typically is cheaper than the full stand up height versions. The
head will extend well past the table or bench if you need the extra height
capicity. One draw back is that you typically only have 4 speeds but with
that in mind I very seldom take mine off of the slowest speed setting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'd want a jointer, the table saw's companion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff wrote in
:

On Dec 3, 2:45 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , badandy001@gmaildotcom wrote:
Thanks Jeff,
I never even thought of a Air filter! Dont know much about
them, my
shop is 18 x 18 with a 12" ceiling, would an Airfilter get all of
the suspended dust?

No, it won't get all of it, but it will get a surprisingly high
portion of it. It's best to use a dust collector and air filter in
combination; the two together will get nearly everything.

I agree the combination will get nearly everything. My thought was
that he could use a shop vac now for dust collection and couple that
with an air filter to provide a safer environment.

Jeff

The purchase of dust masks wouldn't be a bad one either. They can affect
some people's breathing, so make sure you get ones that you can use.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd want a jointer, the table saw's companion.

Please help me understand this (newbe here). If I rip a board along a fence
on a table saw with a decent blade, I assume I'll end up with a pretty nice
cut. Will the jointer give me something "extra"?

Thanks,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"Bill" wrote in message
. ..
I'd want a jointer, the table saw's companion.

Please help me understand this (newbe here). If I rip a board along a
fence on a table saw with a decent blade, I assume I'll end up with a
pretty nice cut. Will the jointer give me something "extra"?

Thanks,
Bill

Only if the side next to the fence is straight. I have in fact ripped rough
wood that way (but the other edge was straight but rough). And, you can
make a sled to guide curved boards through the saw, or you can make a jig
for use with a router.

Otherwise, you run the risk of kickback. Kickback can be very hazardous to
your health.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

Again, IMHO the dust collector is a luxury. I have been woodworking
seriousely since 1978 and finally bought a dust collector last spring
IIRC. I had to have it for a drum sander as at that point it becomes a
necessity although I got the DC a year before the sander. My BS turns out
an enormous amount of dust when resawing and I got the DC quickly after
buying the

Nothing like one for quickly cleaning up the shop; beats hell out of a
shop vac. My 2HP JET has sucked up stuff I wish it hadn't (ie. the plastic
push stick that came with the TS and once sucked the arbor washer from the
TS. When that hit the impeller it split the housing. Had to buy another
washer, too. Damnit.
--
Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 11:11:57 -0800, Jeff wrote:

On Dec 3, 1:07 pm, "Leon" wrote:

The dust collector is the thing thats got me puzzled. Is it going to be
that helpful? Is there something more useful that I should get instead?

If the OP's worried about his health, I'd recommend an air-filter over
a dust collector. It's the small stuff that'll kill you, not the big
particles that collect on the floor. Plus, he probably already owns a
shop vac.

You beat me to it, Jeff.

Leon, you can sweep the floor. Sweeping your lungs is not an option :-).

I have a very small shop with no room for a dust collector. But one of
the first things I built was a dust collector that hangs from the ceiling.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
I'd want a jointer, the table saw's companion.

Please help me understand this (newbe here). If I rip a board along a fence
on a table saw with a decent blade, I assume I'll end up with a pretty nice
cut. Will the jointer give me something "extra"?

Thanks,
Bill

A jointer will give you a straight edge to put against the fence to
start with. Ripping on the table saw will then give a uniform width.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy H" wrote:

I am in a position to invest in the shop a bit and I can justify

about
$5-$600. Im thinking of getting a 2hp Dust collector (Shop Fox), a
Triton 2-1/4 HP Router, and a forrest WWII blade.

snip

Don't let that money burn a hole in your pocket.

Buy as the need arises.

1) Invest in a good set of 10" saw blades(24T rip, 50T combo, & 80T
finish)

2) Build jigs.
Buy a couple of sheets of 9 ply(1/2") & 13 ply(3/4"), then build some
sleds, if you don't have them.

3) An 8" Dado set. It gets more use than you imagine.

4) A bench top planer. (there are work arounds for a jointer, but not
a planer).

5) A good ROS, I have a Bosch 3727 and wouldn't leave home without it.

6) A Fein Multimaster. The damn thing is VERY addictive.

7) A 3 HP router suitable for permanent table mounting.

8) Clamps, clamps, clamps.

Of all the things above, having material on hand to build a quick jig
will save your rear end more times than everything else above, IMHO.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Im getting a PC nailer set out of what I make for these 7 carts.
i dont have a jointer or planer but I dont have much need for them at
this moment. Althought I do have a bunch of raw Black Walnut boards
that need planing.
My work is pretty varied. A bunch of cabinet stuff, but I want to
get into some fine blanket chests, furniture n stuff.

I am not offering any advice here, but merely asking a kind of follow-up
question. Several people have mentioned the planer and while not
necessarily recommending one they have talked about it usefulness. But
it seems to me that since Andy has mentioned things like cabinet work,
furniture, and blanket chests that one of those drum sanders could prove
to be very useful. I have not built large pieces like that, but I have
built smaller projects that made me think how sweet one of those things
could be. I also think that if I had a lot of good wood that needed to
"planed" that a drum sander would be preferred to a planer. especially
if the wood had some sort of figure that may chip out during planing.

The two negatives that I see to this are that the sanders are a tad
pricey and dust collection would not be an option. It is also more
money than Andy said he had to spend, but I'm sure his arm could be
twisted enough to stretch the old budget a little. :-)

Wayne

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 11:11:57 -0800, Jeff wrote:

You beat me to it, Jeff.

Leon, you can sweep the floor. Sweeping your lungs is not an option :-).

I have a very small shop with no room for a dust collector. But one of
the first things I built was a dust collector that hangs from the ceiling.

Well if you are in a confined area an air cleaner or collector is a must. I
have been able to use a 7' x16' door and a fan at my back to take care of
dust. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave In Houston" wrote in message
. ..

Nothing like one for quickly cleaning up the shop; beats hell out of a
shop vac. My 2HP JET has sucked up stuff I wish it hadn't (ie. the
plastic push stick that came with the TS and once sucked the arbor washer
from the TS. When that hit the impeller it split the housing. Had to buy
another washer, too. Damnit.

That sucks. ;~) Mind got one of those clear plastic storage drawers. I'm
just waiting for the day I suck up the remote control.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
. ..
I'd want a jointer, the table saw's companion.

Please help me understand this (newbe here). If I rip a board along a
fence on a table saw with a decent blade, I assume I'll end up with a
pretty nice cut. Will the jointer give me something "extra"?

Thanks,
Bill
As Jim and Jack have pointed out, the jointer is to prepare the stock to be
cut on the TS or to go through the planer. If you buy straight stock to
begin with there is really no need for a jointer. I built a jig for
straightening 8' long boards in a single pass on the TS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Good observation however for general planing the drum sander is going to be
way expensive as the sand paper will not last as long as the knives will
stay sharp. The sander will be very slow by comparison and many many
passes are necessary to remove typical amounts of wood and the passes are
about half the speed when going fast, as a planer goes on slow. That said,
a drum sander is a great tool to use after the planer for reasons you have
mentioned about tear out and if you make a lot of your own veneer.
As you pointed out, the drum sanders are pricey but about the same price as
a similar sized planer. My 22/44 sander was about the same price as my 15
stationary Delta planer.
Unless I was working strictly with small stock for small projects I would
not consider a drum sander over a planer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Andy H wrote:
[...]

I think that's the best piece of advice
I've seen on this topic.

When I started thinking about seriously
getting into the hobby, I set up a wish
list at a few stores, including Lee
Valley. It was tough with LV especially
because there were so many things in
their catalog I felt I needed and didn't
want a behemoth wish list. Even with my
pared down list, I found that as time
went on, the original "must haves" were
eliminated and replaced with other
things that looked more applicable to
the things I was doing and my skill
level, which changed my perspective
considerably.

In the last few years, I don't think
I've bought anything that I haven't
used, but each item has been on the list
for a long time, waiting for the real
"need:" for it and available cash.

snip

But, as rare as it is in the rec, I really think when you know what
you need is the time to go shopping, not just when you have a whim. IOW,
start on your projects and see where you're stuck doing something the
hard way and then decide what it takes to solve that problem. You'll
probably be happier in the long run.

Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 3, 1:07 pm, "Leon" wrote:
The dust collector is the thing thats got me puzzled. Is it going to be
that helpful? Is there something more useful that I should get instead?

If the OP's worried about his health, I'd recommend an air-filter over
a dust collector. It's the small stuff that'll kill you, not the big
particles that collect on the floor. Plus, he probably already owns a
shop vac.

You beat me to it, Jeff.

Leon, you can sweep the floor. Sweeping your lungs is not an option :-).

I have a very small shop with no room for a dust collector. But one of
the first things I built was a dust collector that hangs from the ceiling.

Hi Larry,
What did it cost you to build this air cleaner? Ive been looking at
building one of them for some time. Where do you get the squirrel cage
blower?

By the way, Im leaning toward a triton router, forrest blade, PC brad
nailer and Dewalt planer. I think these would all be put to use fairly
quickly.

Thanks,
BadAndy
--
:: Clever Sig here ::
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Snip

4) A bench top planer. (there are work arounds for a jointer, but not
a planer).

On the list

5) A good ROS, I have a Bosch 3727 and wouldn't leave home without it.

On the "later" list I have one, not too thrilled with it though

7) A 3 HP router suitable for permanent table mounting.

On the list (well a 2-1/4 HP anyway)

8) Clamps, clamps, clamps.

I have a couple, will buy as needed.

Of all the things above, having material on hand to build a quick jig
will save your rear end more times than everything else above, IMHO.

That is pretty good advice! There have been many times when I didnt
build something because I didnt have the materials on hand to make a jig.

Have fun.

Lew

Thanks so much for everyone's feedback!
--
:: Clever Sig here ::
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
I'd want a jointer, the table saw's companion.

Please help me understand this (newbe here). If I rip a board along a fence
on a table saw with a decent blade, I assume I'll end up with a pretty nice
cut. Will the jointer give me something "extra"?

Yup!

The jointer will straighten the edge that goes against the TS fence, as
well as set the edge to a perfect angle referenced from a face. If the
edge riding against the TS fence has a curve, or the board has a bow or
crook, the edge you'll get off the blade will be less accurate.

Also, properly prepared stock is far less likely to kick back.

A jointer will also flatten a face.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 3, 1:07 pm, "Leon" wrote:
The dust collector is the thing thats got me puzzled. Is it
going to be that helpful? Is there something more useful that I
should get instead?
If the OP's worried about his health, I'd recommend an air-filter
over a dust collector. It's the small stuff that'll kill you, not
the big particles that collect on the floor. Plus, he probably
already owns a shop vac.

You beat me to it, Jeff.

Leon, you can sweep the floor. Sweeping your lungs is not an
option
:-).

I have a very small shop with no room for a dust collector. But
one
of the first things I built was a dust collector that hangs from
the
ceiling.

Hi Larry,
What did it cost you to build this air cleaner? Ive been looking at
building one of them for some time. Where do you get the squirrel
cage blower?

You might want to take a look at the Ridgid AF2100. 250 cfm for a
hundred bucks. While they tend to be denigrated by some of the tool
snobs and Borg-bashers, Ridgid stationary tools are actually pretty
decent performers for the most part. Replacement filters can be
ordered direct from Ridgid for about 32 bucks for the set of 2.

By the way, Im leaning toward a triton router, forrest blade, PC
brad
nailer and Dewalt planer. I think these would all be put to use
fairly quickly.

Thanks,
BadAndy
Clever Sig here ::

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in
:

*snip*

8) Clamps, clamps, clamps.

I've had good luck with HF C clamps. Might as well save some money and
buy several there.

Of all the things above, having material on hand to build a quick jig
will save your rear end more times than everything else above, IMHO.

Have fun.

Lew

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:05:17 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

-snip-

Have you tried the Freud Glue-Line blade?

Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message

Have you tried the Freud Glue-Line blade?

No, no need to.

Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote

-snip-

Have you tried the Freud Glue-Line blade?

I have one, as well as three Forrest blades (WWII's and Chopmaster) and I do
like it. I use FGL mostly for ripping thick hardwood stock for making
panels.

Although I don't think the cut surface is any better, the Freud Glue-Line
Rip does rip thicker hardwood stock more effortlessly than the combination
Forrest WWII due to the set of the teeth.

I could live with either one, but if I have to do a lot of ripping I grab
the Freud.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

You will end up with a "pretty nice" cut
"maybe" but it may or may not create a
straight board.

A table saw will only create a board with
equal distance between sides "if" one side
is straight and against the fence during the
cut.

Bill wrote:

Please help me understand this (newbe here). If I rip a board along a fence
on a table saw with a decent blade, I assume I'll end up with a pretty nice
cut. Will the jointer give me something "extra"?

Thanks,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
You will end up with a "pretty nice" cut
"maybe" but it may or may not create a
straight board.

A table saw will only create a board with
equal distance between sides "if" one side
is straight and against the fence during the
cut.

Thank you for your reply Pat. Barry's explanation explained how subtle
things could go wrong. I definitely did not realize how many factors came
into play. I may have to get by with my smoothing plane for a while...

Bill wrote:

Please help me understand this (newbe here). If I rip a board along a
fence on a table saw with a decent blade, I assume I'll end up with a
pretty nice cut. Will the jointer give me something "extra"?

Thanks,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 3, 12:17 pm, Andy H wrote:
[...]

Hi Andy,

If you buy your wood finished 2 sides and straight lined you will
probably not need a planer or jointer to soon. As soon as need to edge
glue boards you really need a jointer. As soon as you buy wood rough
or need to thin a piece of wood down to less of a thickness you will
likely need a planer. But if you are to give your cabinetry work any
shape you will really need a band saw. Now there are work arounds to
all of these pieces of equipment but they are all going to slow down
your work. Larger pieces of equipment make the process go faster. You
have to decide how much you need to speed up each process.

The other part of this is when you start doing this stuff for money
the more of the money you keep for yourself the better off you will
be. If you are paying the mill to do most of the work it may or may
not be financially benefitting. Buying rough lumber and milling it
yourself for the original cost of the equipment and the cost of blades
and sharpening will likely pay you in the end. All of this is
dependent of how much work you do. The cost of the equipment is
amoritized over many jobs to justify the cost before it starts paying
you. So weigh these thoughts in relationship to the work you expect
you will do.

Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

: Thank you for your reply Pat. Barry's explanation explained how subtle
: things could go wrong. I definitely did not realize how many factors came
: into play. I may have to get by with my smoothing plane for a while...

You can joint an edge using a router in a router table, or a table
saw.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2005/01/28/wb/

http://www.newwoodworker.com/tsjointjig.html

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/rtrplnr.htm

As far as I know you can't joint (flatten) a face without a jointer.
I think I understand why you can't flatten a face on a planer, but I
don't understand why they don't make planers that can also flatten a
face.

______________________
XXXX _____________________
XXXXXX
XXXXXX --- cutter
XXXX

(I'm very grateful to the experienced and knowledgable people in this
group who take the time to explain things to newbies like me.)

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chip Buchholtz" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

: Thank you for your reply Pat. Barry's explanation explained how subtle
: things could go wrong. I definitely did not realize how many factors
came
: into play. I may have to get by with my smoothing plane for a while...

You can joint an edge using a router in a router table, or a table
saw.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2005/01/28/wb/

http://www.newwoodworker.com/tsjointjig.html

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/rtrplnr.htm

As far as I know you can't joint (flatten) a face without a jointer.
I think I understand why you can't flatten a face on a planer, but I
don't understand why they don't make planers that can also flatten a
face.

With the proper jig, you absolutely can flatten a face with a planer.